• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BBK/BRNK (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope your right. Otherwise it is stupidity of the first rank. I guess we'll find out next week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episodes 6 and 7

I actually thought it a bit funny that Hazuma and Kaoruko are quite similar, both gals of extreme showmanship and ego, and I think they are awesome for it. Giant robots and super confidence is fun. I also generally like how characters such as Hazuma, Reoko, Matobai, Arabashiri and Tsuwabuki were villains in the first season with feelings of dread in how tough they are, but since we got insight into their motives and are allied with our heroes, they are just kind of awesome. For comparison it kind of reminds me of Kill la Kill, a series I have compared this to a number of times

Oh, and it looks like cheerleader as thing for Epizo, who does not realize he has a crush on Laetitia. Thematically it makes me think that it because he feels sorry and wants to help her, which is something appearing a bit in this series. Kaoruko did not ask her father to choose to Azuma in the twins' stead for the danger of the mission, she is plenty capable and treating her like she needed protection frustrates. Although Kaoruko did see that her father was kind of thinking about her the most, he did not leave her because he did not care about her, and his journey leading to him trying to retrieve the present he made for her is more than just trying to keep her out of danger. It is really something I like about this series, that the female characters are not just there to be protected, no they are pretty big badasses in their own rights.

The scene where Kogane and Kinoa were pulling Matobai and Tsuwabuki apart for their inability to cook or look after themselves due to only stocking up on beer and instant noodles, was very funny. And it is kind of what I mean about female characters being awesome, we saw our girl rip into grown men over kind of feminine skills that the guys lacked, and it did not feel like it was making fun of it, as not eating trashy food whilst in France is pretty reasonable. I have always been fond that the team's berserker looks like "the girl" member, the team "tough guy" kind of looks like the "smart guy" (glasses), the airhead is actually the team genius ace, and the one who looks to be starting conflict became the one who tends to think everything through. Bubuki Buranki is so overlooked that I think that people do not see the nuances that this show pulls, to contraste to Kill la Kill, the characters are actually not tied down to their initial role.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Well, that episode confirmed my suspicions from the previous episode that Azuma trotted off to the headquarters without knowing where it was (thus his map), without knowing who Guy is and, it would seem, without any kind of plan as to how he was actually going to rescue his sister. Fortunately for him, the show had not one, but two deus ex machinas in mind (conveniently bumping into the girls - they literally land on him - and then dude showing up), so it's all good. Ah, story-telling at its finest.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 8

Guy's puppet strings seem to be most firmly around Epizo right now, he apparently has written off team England, and team Taiwan just rebelled against their self proclaimed king. I suppose Guy thinks that Epizo is the closest to maybe slipping past Azuma's defences.

In general though, things should be looking good. They have recovered Reoko and have all of her people on board, the main group are intact with new abilities, with Kaoruko also joined with a Buranki she can use by herself and team Russia's Bubuki. And the limbs of Team Taiwan also seem likely to join their side, and despite Team England also out, Team America does not look like the most together on taking out Azuma. Seems like Guy must have something else up his sleeve, like someone is a sleeper weapon waiting to trigger, his mention of returning a Buranki's brain back seems possibly bad Reoko, and Guy met someone mysterious at the end.

Also, it was funny when Kogane was freaking out over Righty's decidedly not cute mega-evolution.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know who that chick was at the end that Guy was talking to? Laetitia is a cutey, for sure - I get why Epizo has the hots for her. Too bad that it doesn't seem she has long to live. Kaoruko is awesome; I really enjoy watching her and Azuma interact. Pity it was decided that she had to sit out virtually the entire first season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
I think that Kaoruko would describe it as being fashionably late.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 9

Well, we lost Laetitia , with her glassy staring eyes. Kudos for Epizo to piece together things were not right, but it he was not quick enough, kind of awkward transition between him encouraging it then realising Guy is up to something.

Blood- wrote:
Anyone know who that chick was at the end that Guy was talking to?

Apparently it was Migiwa, she just managed to cut her, clean herself up, and get a new pair of glasses. She was shown with glasses when she was a teenager, so she must have been doing without since being on the island for some years.

Actually learned quite a bit this episode. The Bubuki users are the descendants of people that absorbed large quantities of shards of Buranki that fell to earth, entered the food chain and got to humans, can control the energy and chosen by Bubuki.

I don't know if it is too soon, but looks like the island this whole time was one big Bubuki, and the comet mentioned so much may be its heart. Guy's plan may be to control the heart and use it not only to shut off other hearts like I guess Migiwa might have done, but probably kill all Bubuki, Buranki, and anyone "tainted".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 10

Dayum, that is big honking Buranki god or whatever. Looked pretty cool, I have to say. I can see getting this series at some point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, really big Buranki.

It was a pretty epic episode in its own right in how it showed us the sheer force the Deus Magna, which I think means something along the lines of "great god". It was an interesting kind of method where we did not just get the look of blow back from the force of the explosions, but the sheer chaos to the senses of sound and light from being right in it. And how everyone kind of joined to fight was also pretty cool, even Justin the d-bag who learned that girls can be scary.

I feel that it is only going to get more awesome as we really get into the fight.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:33 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11 (Episode 23)

Entei-Oubu, that was too cool. Part way through I suddenly realised that two people acting simultaneous as a way to pilot a mecha, this was a lot like Pacific Rim. It was awesome. Story wise, Migiwa died and because she was a perfect fusion of Buranki and human her consciousness could travel through time where she learned that Entei actually could not be used to save Reoko, which Migiwa actually as a ghost fused with it and had essentially been Entei the entire time. That all sounds crazy. Actually it kind of answered why there was apparently a person inside of Entei’s head a few episodes back, it was Migiwa.

I think it would be forgivable to expect this to be the last episode, it pulled out all stops and did everything from cool opening song played alongside action, to first season’s opening song used for the climax. But I would expect there would be a 12 episode, and the end did say to be continued. Perhaps it will be an epilogue where Reoko is now free of the curse, there does not seem to be the threats of Buranki anymore, and there are the Bubuki users, that maybe Reoko may have an answer other than hunting them down. And Azuma could prove that he is not like Guy. I will probably save a full series review till then. But this was a cool climax.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I had the same sense, DP. This felt like a finale. Be interesting to see what they do next eppie. Give Kaoruko her own show!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (Episode 24, Finale)

Well that was a big winding down episode. As an answer to what Guy accused would happen to Azuma, the episode really focused on the mediocrity that that had Azuma returning, or perhaps really beginning a normal life, where after all of the exciting adventures he feels kind of hollow just being a person in the crowd. He is in the same school and class as Kogane, but despite that the two were growing quite distant, perhaps from her returning to her normal friends while not knowing how to interact with Azuma. Reoko fell into a sleep and woke up a year later, but she seems to have mentally returned to her physical age, which seems to leave it open for romance between the two of them as an alternative. Mentally cut to the scene earlier in the season where Kaoruko seems incredibly shocked by the idea of the pairing and is exclaiming that she is 40. And speaking of Kaoruko, she is being herself back in Taiwan, which kind of makes sense she would stay with her friends the community she is part of.

Hiiragi and Kinoa seem to have become an item, which has a rather humorous moment of Shizuro putting the pieces together. We otherwise do not see much of Shizuro, but really she is probably who we should worry about the least as she will be fine as long as she is herself. Zetsubi is pregnant, with the implication that Akihito is the father. But on a positive note of it all, the group all meet up where it all began, and they start to talk through their thoughts on the whole thing. Azuma being down has Hiiragi taking the heart to tease him, with not too much of a change, until Azuma actually “gets angry” at Hiiragi, something humorously out of character that brings him back, and it seems that the group is not just dead after everything.

It was all a slow sort of ending, but one the show kind of wanted to address instead that the life goes on, the different parts of the characters, it was probably a more brutally honest end than most shows would do. Episode 11 was the climax though, with some truly awesome action that we had kind of come to expect, with this last episode really being goodbye to all of that. Overall, I would say that the second season has been better than the first, from the first episode it has felt like the staff understood the techniques that made the best use of the animation style, something I think they kind of came onto in the episode where Epizo was introduced, and something similar about the comedy too. On a side not I absolutely love the OP, it felt like it perfectly capture the characters with some nice cinematography and catchy music (gets stuck in my head). Interestingly I think it also highlighted a sort of shift in this season where there was little development for our core cast, and instead it was of the extended cast that was introduced towards the end of the first season. But that I think that kind of worked by making our main characters awesome after the challenges they faced earlier, and yet build out everyone else, including the villains of the first season who came back as allies.

Rating the second season I give it a rating of Very good (8/10), it is much better than the lack of attention would leave people to expect, and it continued the story in a way that the first season left me feeling a bit unfulfilled. Like for instance we finally got Kaoruko, who might be egotistic in a way that might rub people the wrong way, kind of in a way a normal show might show as being a bad person, but she is also pretty darn awesome, with a number of humorous quirks. And I that this was the humour the show has, it is kind of different but actually something I really enjoy, perhaps you need a certain type of taste. After all of this, I am kind of ready to see more, not necessarily Bubuki Buranki, but I do feel that they could use what they learned here to make a new series that people who turned away from the franchise might be able to get into, something fresh that could be the beginning of a journey again with the use of this more fluid style of CGI animation, interesting characters, good music, and fun fights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6