• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kodansha's Sam Yoshiba Supports Scarlett Johansson Casting Choice for Live-Action GitS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
http://www.vox.com/2016/4/15/11438080/ghost-in-the-shell-white-washing-johansson

Essentially he is saying the narrative of Ghost In The Shell isn`t made as a universal story, because when Ghost In The Shell`s manga released in 1989, it was during the time in which Japan was the leader in technology. Not anywhere else.

---

Which is completely crap. The themes of Ghost in the Shell are universal.
As for the historical point of Japan being the leader in technology it's not even true. For some aspects of consumer electronics maybe. Leader in basic science ? No. Leader in Biology/Genetics ? No. Leader in industry ? Leader in computer science ? No and no. Leader in physics ? No. What exactly has Japan of the 1980s bequethed to the world ?
Sony and its televisions or its playstations ? Lol.

Quote:

Agree completely. As a White British Male how dare any of you adapt Shakespeare to your own countries morality and ethnicity! It is solely ours!

Heresy, Shakespeare copied from the Greeks lol

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
bad post
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Really? What other Japanese/Asian adaptations are coming up?

GITS, Naruto, Death Note, Akira, Gunnm, Beyblade, Gaiking, Cowboy Bebop, Edge of Tomorrow 2.
All confirmed, though most of them are still in early stages or not even started.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice Tea wrote:
GITS, Naruto, Death Note, Akira, Gunnm, Beyblade, Cowboy Bebop, Edge of Tomorrow 2.
(all confirmed officially, though most of them are still in early stages or not even started)

Huh, I though the Cowboy Bebop and Akira movies had been in development hell for a long while. And just the other day didn't they announce that the Avatar movies were expanded to 4 films, which means the Gunnm adaptation likely won't happen until the 2020's?

A lot of times with anime adaptations I feel like "I'll believe it when I see it", though I don't doubt Edge of Tomorrow 2 will get made, since it was critically well-received.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Nice Tea wrote:
GITS, Naruto, Death Note, Akira, Gunnm, Beyblade, Cowboy Bebop, Edge of Tomorrow 2.
(all confirmed officially, though most of them are still in early stages or not even started)

Huh, I though the Cowboy Bebop and Akira movies had been in development hell for a long while. And just the other day didn't they announce that the Avatar movies were expanded to 4 films, which means the Gunnm adaptation likely won't happen until the 2020's?

A lot of times with anime adaptations I feel like "I'll believe it when I see it", though I don't doubt Edge of Tomorrow 2 will get made, since it was critically well-received.

They don't come off as huge priorities for the studios. Am sure if this and the Death Note do well,we'll see a lot of them pushed into production.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Nitsugalego wrote:
All you Shonen Jump Weeklies should go back to tumblr and stop getting offended on behalf of other people.

I've never identified with the SoJus crowd, and to me this is an issue of faithfulness rather than affirmative action. I felt the same way when America adapted Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series and casted Denzel Washington as a white quadrapalegic detective and Angelina Jolie as a red-headed Irish-looking cop. I don't see this as anymore Tumblr than complaining about a heavily censored anime dub. Hollywood adaptions more often than not always end up ruining the source material because of business choices. Really because they're trying to take a work that isn't mainstream and trying to make it mainstream which pretty much results and it not resembling what fans of the original work liked in the first place. This movie is not made for Ghost in the Shell fans any more than superhero movies are made for comic fans.
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't care less that they cast a white chick as the main character, like they guy in the article said if you wanted an asian as the lead then it should be made in japan by all Japanese actors and cast. But then it wouldn't be anywhere as good or high budget.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
As many have corrected me. Yes, I agree I was wrong, I apologize.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Evolution didn't flop because it casted a predominately non-Asian cast to play roles that weren't (outside of few examples) Asian in the first place. Nor because it didn't needlessly
explore culture differences that weren't touched upon even in the source material.

It flopped purely because it simply didn't work as a live action production.

Oh, you mean Dragonball Evolution. I thought you meant the movie simply called Evolution, the one with the three-eyed smiley face.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Harrison Ford didn't stop Blade Runner from flopping, and this was right after The Empire Strikes back and The Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'm sure you need more than a big star to sell tickets.

Blade Runner did get a HUGE boost some time later though, when people watched it on home video, enough to popularize the technothriller sub-genre and define the cyberpunk look. Now there's a sequel in the works. But I would agree, it's not because of Harrison Ford being in the movie.

Though one can argue that an actor with a huge and dedicated fanbase can support a movie, like with Leonardo diCaprio in the late 90's with movies like Catch Me If You Can.

Nice Tea wrote:
By trend I mean recent/upcoming/planned adaptations, there's a lot of them.
The examples I mentionned were to illustrate how almost every adaptation were bad and unnecessary.

Hollywood adapts from everything and in large quantities. Chances are at least half of your favorite Hollywood movies are adaptations from something.

Guile wrote:
Hollywood adaptions more often than not always end up ruining the source material because of business choices. Really because they're trying to take a work that isn't mainstream and trying to make it mainstream which pretty much results and it not resembling what fans of the original work liked in the first place.

Depends on what you mean by "ruin." What I see happening is a heavily altered adaptation ends up displacing the original work. Disney's been doing this with fairy tales since the 1930's, and even earlier than that, you had the Universal Monsters movies and The Wizard of Oz. Don't forget Shrek and the James Bond movies.

If the Ghost in the Shell movie turns out to be a critical and commercial success, it'll be ruined in the same way that Universal's Frankenstein ruined the Mary Shelley novel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Nitsugalego wrote:
All you Shonen Jump Weeklies should go back to tumblr and stop getting offended on behalf of other people.

I've never identified with the SoJus crowd, and to me this is an issue of faithfulness rather than affirmative action. I felt the same way when America adapted Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series and casted Denzel Washington as a white quadrapalegic detective and Angelina Jolie as a red-headed Irish-looking cop. I don't see this as anymore Tumblr than complaining about a heavily censored anime dub. Hollywood adaptions more often than not always end up ruining the source material because of business choices. Really because they're trying to take a work that isn't mainstream and trying to make it mainstream which pretty much results and it not resembling what fans of the original work liked in the first place. This movie is not made for Ghost in the Shell fans any more than superhero movies are made for comic fans.

You're right, movies in general are not made for the fans of the original series. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, any comic book movie, all very different than their original source material. This movie is probably going to be shit regardless because of the terrible director BUT it is very likely that a talented director would make the exact same casting choice.

I've learned over the years to consider film a totally different medium and perspective than the source. Otherwise, I've been consistently disappointed. Some movies can be enjoyed in their own right, and some just suck no matter which way you squint.

But they don't suck because of lack of racial diversity, they just suck because of bad directing/cg/script/etc.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Oh, you mean Dragonball Evolution. I thought you meant the movie simply called Evolution, the one with the three-eyed smiley face.

I assume that's what the guy I was quoting was talking about since "DBZ style flop" could only tie into Evolution.....despite it not having the eponymous "Z" that's associated exclusively with the anime.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "ruin." What I see happening is a heavily altered adaptation ends up displacing the original work. Disney's been doing this with fairy tales since the 1930's, and even earlier than that, you had the Universal Monsters movies and The Wizard of Oz. Don't forget Shrek and the James Bond movies.

If the Ghost in the Shell movie turns out to be a critical and commercial success, it'll be ruined in the same way that Universal's Frankenstein ruined the Mary Shelley novel.

I'd like to think that our society is different than the one that was and still somewhat unaware that Frankenstein is based off a novel that was written by a woman...I'd like to think that but.....
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
To me, it really doesn't matter if Scarlett is in it or not.

The majority of fans and critics will slam this movie. (Or at least get mixed to negative reviews)

I will probably enjoy it and take it as a different take on the series.

I mean, after all, Stand Alone Complex and the OVAs are different takes on the original manga.
And the only true take of the original manga was the 1995 movie and its sequel right?

But I wonder what Masamune thinks about this film?
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Japanese manga fans have commented that if viewers wanted a Japanese cast, the film should be made in Japan.

And that should be the end of this controversy. I said should.

In all honesty, the publisher coming out to say that they have faith is to be expected since there's no way a big publisher will say that a big film developer/publisher is doing it wrong. I just don't see it happening.

Additionally, I'm really tried of seeing the argument "anime characters are westernized anyway". This argument is just filled with naivete and ignorance because just because anime characters don't look Japanese it doesn't mean they're western either. Creators don't need to make their characters to look Japanese because these are fictional - stylized cartoon characters.

I wonder how many Japanese actresses are even active in Hollywood. I watch the teen drama Teen Wolf and one of the characters who is supposed to be Japanese is played by a Korean-American probably because to the untrained eye "all Asian people look the same". If they wanted to cast a Japanese woman as the Major would they have a large enough pool of Japanese women who 1) fit the role and 2) can carry the leading role in this film? Especially since as many have mentioned, Scarlett Johansson markets the film also.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Which is completely crap. The themes of Ghost in the Shell are universal.

Not really. The reasons for why GitS is a Japanese story runs much deeper than just "Japan was the leader in technology at the time it was written". It was also written by a Japanese person at that time and is largely inspired by Japan's relation to technology at large. They had previously been a very traditional society before WW2 and then they weren't even allowed to have their own national army, so they started pouring their economy into technology instead. That rapid change lead to a large cultural shift and a creeping fear about where they might be heading. It is a story and theme born from a very specific time-period in Japan's culture.

Quote:
As for the historical point of Japan being the leader in technology it's not even true. For some aspects of consumer electronics maybe. Leader in basic science ? No. Leader in Biology/Genetics ? No. Leader in industry ? Leader in computer science ? No and no. Leader in physics ? No. What exactly has Japan of the 1980s bequethed to the world ?
Sony and its televisions or its playstations ? Lol.

Pretty sure they have also been leading the charge on robotics.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Not really. The reasons for why GitS is a Japanese story runs much deeper than just "Japan was the leader in technology at the time it was written". It was also written by a Japanese person at that time and is largely inspired by Japan's relation to technology at large. They had previously been a very traditional society before WW2 and then they weren't even allowed to have their own national army, so they started pouring their economy into technology instead. That rapid change lead to a large cultural shift and a creeping fear about where they might be heading. It is a story and theme born from a very specific time-period in Japan's culture.

Like I said previously, I disagree with this perspective, because it tries to tie the economics of the era to the thematics of the manga, which I don't think was the case. Rather, I think it was the enormous cultural influence of Western science fiction and technological philosophy at the time that fed into the major themes of GiTS. "Blade Runner" was a huge inspiration to Japanese artists back in the 80's, and was said to have influenced the first GiTS movie, as both works dealt with emerging machine consciousness. The original manga also was supposedly inspired by a philosophy work by Arther Koestler called "The Ghost in the Machine", which dealt with the duality of human consciousness and physicality (or something to that effect). Even the "Laughing Man" was inspired by a short story of the same name by J.D. Salinger, so I think it's fair to say that the GiTS universe has been deeply affected by Western entertainment and philosophy, which tie directly to the central themes of the work in regards to the relation of human consciousness to physical form, as well as to the blurring lines with artificial intelligence. Those are the universal themes in GiTS I think, and I personally never walked away from GiTS material thinking that it was a commentary/reflection on Japan's technological advancements in the 1980's, in-so-much as a commentary on AI and what it means to be human.

And that all said, if she had been named "Major Brenten" or even just "The Major" originally, I'm not sure many people would have noticed, since the setting and culture on display aren't very noticeably Japanese (supposedly the setting for the first movie was actually inspired by Hong Kong, and not Japan).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7