• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Strike Lists Touken Ranbu, Welcome to the Ballroom, Dive!! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
With the fracturing of an already dispersing fan base of anime fans by paywall communities, fansubs will rise once more to return us to the golden age.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
With the fracturing of an already dispersing fan base of anime fans by paywall communities, fansubs will rise once more to return us to the golden age.

Is it still proper to call them "fansubs" when so many are simply direct rips of the video feeds from the legal streaming sites these days?
Volxmas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
fansubs will rise once more to return us to the golden age.

I hope so I miss the days of Eclipse and gg sub back in the day.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
*sigh* And here I was silly enough to hope Ballroom wouldn't be subjected to Strike. And I'm saying this as someone with a Prime account; I don't know if Strike's small library is enough to justify yet another subscription fee...

Definitely not yet. We need as much people to avoid helping Amazon in the slightest until they get out of the industry or fix their horrible player. Closed Captioning subs from a professional company in 2017... timing issues, lack of half-way decent queue system, and of course the tiniest library of any streaming site.

Best way to force a change is by not giving them their money. Not that they even care anyways. At least Touken Ranbu should be on multiple services.

This! I also use to have a prime membership but since I don't support the way they go about things and hurt the anime community I second the fact that we should not pay them as to not keep them doing this injustice which they have bestowed upon us. So instead of easily paying them another fee I canceled my Amazon prime altogether and have decided to bite my tongue and protest with the rest lol but seriously I hate Amazon with such a passion I refuse to buy anything from them now including whole foods which they will also destroy the organic food business
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
*sigh* And here I was silly enough to hope Ballroom wouldn't be subjected to Strike. And I'm saying this as someone with a Prime account; I don't know if Strike's small library is enough to justify yet another subscription fee...

I don't think it is big enough to do that, either. Amazon Prime perhaps had it best when they would stream anime but the subscription fee was under the Prime subscription fee.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:07 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
he poor souls outside of NA have never mattered to CR, Funimation and other licensors, it's just a cruel reality, so stop making it seem like Amazon are the only ones that have ever done this.
Actually, Funimation have just expanded to Australia and pretty much everything that gets streamed on Crunchyroll in any given season will be available to Australians. Same with HiDIVE.

But you wanna know which one of these services is only ONLY available in America? Bingo! Anime Strike. All the Anime Strike shows from last season (Except for Anonymous Noise which you literally can't even watch legally in Australia) went to AnimeLab.

We do have Amazon Prime, but the anime selection is shockingly barebones. Mostly obscure crap you'll never watch and shows that are already on Crunchyroll.

So yeah, no. Amazon suck.

H. Guderian wrote:
I don't know if you were around back then, but the height of fansubs was an absolutely shit age for anime.

That 'golden age' you're talking about involves the Japanese side of the industry entirely giving up on the west when we stop paying for anime, people losing their jobs when the companies that bring anime to the west shut down, even less second and third seasons of great shows that can no longer rely on international support to offset weak sales at home, great shows not even being subtitled or being dropped after three episodes because 'reliable' fansubbers 'didn't feel like' doing them, the list goes on and on. And trust me, you don't want any of that.

Sure Anime Strike sucks, but you don't even know how much better things are now than they were a few years ago. Unlike with Crunchyroll where the subtitles all have some form of consistent quality, you actually had to compare all the different fansubs just to find one that wasn't completely terrible.

You don't have to deal with that problem nowadays because 'fansubbers' usually just steal from Crunchyroll, make a few minor edits (Which usually just means 'adding memes and swears so people don't notice we stole them'), shove in a bunch of ugly visual effects and throw together some poorly translated song lyrics. But trust me when I say those were not good times. Not for Japan, not for America, not for anyone with even a passing interest in anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
I have no personal feelings connected to CR. If they tank then whatever if another service can supply the anime I want.

I dislike Amazon because:
- Price tag is too high for the service.
- Layout of service and queue features aren't very user-friendly
- Not very reliable, streams are delayed a lot (they were over a day late on the Grimoire of Zero finale due to "errors", and had a lot of issues) and inconsistent simulcasting times.
- Horrible, horrible service for Canadians.
- No news on home video releases for exclusvie titles.

If they fix this stuff I'm all for AS.

At least when there is a delay with an episode, CR often puts a note on that during the ad-running stream of the previous episode.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
I have no personal feelings connected to CR. If they tank then whatever if another service can supply the anime I want.

I dislike Amazon because:
- Price tag is too high for the service.
- Layout of service and queue features aren't very user-friendly
- Not very reliable, streams are delayed a lot (they were over a day late on the Grimoire of Zero finale due to "errors", and had a lot of issues) and inconsistent simulcasting times.
- Horrible, horrible service for Canadians.
- No news on home video releases for exclusvie titles.

If they fix this stuff I'm all for AS.

At least when there is a delay with an episode, CR often puts a note on that during the ad-running stream of the previous episode.

We did get notifications for the Sentai shows when there were delays. They announced the delays on Twitter and Facebook, among others. It was the Amazon licensed shows that were the problem.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
@dragonrider_cody: Amazon is still so new to the anime simulcasting ring to where they don't have the decency to give delaycast notifications? I guess the double paywall has too much of their attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6