• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Violet Evergarden Anime Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh no! Now I won't be able to post about how amasing it was each week in the weekly plot summery & supposition thread. 2018 is ruined!
Jerry Cornelius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Obviously your opinion didn't matter to them, and it won't change the fact that Netflix caused a large portion of fans to resort to such a method. That was Netflix' decision, to state that the way they do business is more important than what those thousands of fans wanted. Simply out of arrogance.

No one is mad that Netflix licensed the show. They are mad that Netflix says "screw you" to the fans outside of Japan because "Our way of binging is better, no one cares about how you consume media. Get on our method or pirate." You can defend their arrogance all you want, it's not going to change.

It isn't my opinion. It's a fact. If there is a legal alternative then there is no justification for piracy. If you try to justify it by claiming that the wait is unfair on true fans or some other reason you are merely trying to absolve yourself of responsibility. I'm not saying Netflix's choice to delay the release is right I'm just saying those people claiming they are left with no other option but to pirate the content are wrong. Watch fansubs if you like just don't be so ungrateful that a series is getting a western release just because the format isn't the one you'd choose. It's unseemly.

Last edited by Jerry Cornelius on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Jerry Cornelius wrote:
Watch fansubs if you like just don't be so ungrateful that a series is getting a western release just because the format isn't the one you'd choose. It's unseemly.

Well, I'm for one glad it got a Western license and that there's a way for those who prefer to watch it officially should they opt to. I'll also happily watch the fansubs of it once it starts airing next January. To each their own...
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
DukeNukem3D0 wrote:
Seriously these people don't have any patience to just wait for spring next year, it's not that big of a deal

Thank god someone understands me. I mean seriously you guys are acting like its the end of the dam world. Which is childish. Really. And I wonder how many people are actually subscribed/use legal streaming anyways, because I bet at least 70-75% of you all use illegal streaming sites to stream/download anyways. Which is just being a hypocrite.

"Oh no I can`t stream my anime weekly! I`m doomed! Its the end of my world!" -via 99% of the people in this comment section.

"darn I won`t be able to watch my anime weekly, but I am patient and will be able to marathon the whole anime in just a day or two." -via 1% of the people in this comment section.

This show is highly anticipated and many people are excited for it. Nextflix is good but I, and I'm sure others, hate how they delay animes by 4-6 months. Fans want the show licenced by companies that will stream it as it comes out. Not by waiting months for it since the internet doesn't do well when it comes to keeping spoilers on the DL. Before you go all "blah blah" I pay for streaming services to support those shows and companies, however on this case I will look for it elsewhere if need be.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Jerry Cornelius wrote:

It isn't my opinion. It's a fact. If there is a legal alternative then there is no justification for piracy. If you try to justify it by claiming that the wait is unfair on true fans or some other reason you are merely trying to absolve yourself of responsibility. I'm not saying Netflix's choice to delay the release is right I'm just saying those people claiming they are left with no other option but to pirate the content are wrong. Watch fansubs if you like just don't be so ungrateful that a series is getting a western release just because the format isn't the one you'd choose. It's unseemly.

But here's the thing, when the content is released and given to Netflix (which is the same day as Netflix Japan, and the same day it's released) there is no alternative to watch legally now is there? So if you want to watch the content when it is released by the creators, there is no other option than to watch the fansubs. Or VPN and watch the Japanese release if you understand Japanese.

And in case you weren't aware, justification is a personal decision, not some mandate decided by you. You can say it's a fact that they aren't justified, but that's ignorance. You cannot decide whether anyone is justified in taking any action, you can only decide whether you agree with that justification, which you clearly do not. And that's fine, you don't have to, but saying "just wait for it" won't make Netflix release the content when they got it, and won't change when the creators released it.
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Netflix's currently limited amount of anime must be doing extremely well for them to be going all-in on anime like this. I love it. Keep it coming, Netflix!

I'm fine with waiting. Netflix's distribution model makes perfect sense to me. They didn't spend years weening viewers off of weekly episodes and making a binge watching culture just to throw that aside to please a bunch of hard-core anime fans.

"But they simulcast in Japan!" you say. Sure, but I heard binge watching never really took off there, not to mention the comparatively low amount of Japanese Netflix subscribers compared to the rest of the world. Simulcasting may work in the Japanese market and hard core fans may want it in all markets, but that would likely serve alienate casuals and other potential fans who have long since embraced the binge-ing way of watching shows.

They fact is. any anime on Netflix will reach more viewers than it would on Crunchyroll, Funimation, or Anime Strike. All of those services cater directly to people who've already deliberately sought out anime. Netflix on the other hand is introducing anime to people who don't really no anything about it. I've seen the Death Note anime recommended based on having watched Showtime's Dexter, etc. And when Netflix has over 100 million subscribers... that reach is something no anime streaming service can hope to compare against. Amazon Strike could but since it is behind two paywalls it has to be lumped in with Crunchyroll and Funi.

For all of the talk of community here, Netflix is the only one with the potential to grow this community. The other anime streaming services attract people that already know and like anime, many casuals and millions of potential fans are unaware of its existence. Netflix alone can keep on introducing anime to new viewers indefinitely.

The hard-core fans may end up pirating some shows, but that's not really that many people compared to the amount of Netflix subscribers.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
flammie wrote:
Netflix: single handedly driving the most dedicated of anime fans to piracy.

Sadly I feel that's what a considerable portion of viewers will do.

That's what a considerable portion of viewers do anyway. It's becoming more and more obvious that CR wasn't the solution, it was an excuse.

It used to take years to get some good shows while the crap stayed in Japan, usually. Then the internet brought us immediacy and piracy, simultaneously. So they called it "simulcasting" and eventually it became legal... after enough illegal marketing money allowed them to buy their way to the table. Actual licensing companies started trying the same and a number of them failed... another convenient thing to forget... but some managed to gain some traction. The solution was to license as many shows as possible, hoping that one will be good. Not that dreamt of megahit that'll get money outside of streaming it for a season, one good series that will justify the season.... and all those other shows people drop midway or after an episode or not watch at all.

And here we are. Is the bloom off the simulcast lily yet or are we still working under the delusion that pure unfettered anime access isn't a detriment to the medium? I'm starting to really feel nostalgic for the time when companies would decide whether to license a show or not based upon its entire run. Of course, the previous bust was based on part when companies were licensing it anyway just because it was the cool new anime thing. 100% different from today, right? No, keep pumping money into it, keep producing inferior shows based on inferior concepts. Keep acting like that show you got, that other world one with a loser male mc and the group of girls surrounding him... you don't know the one I mean... is the greatest thing ever

I like this Netflix model. If a show of theirs is still being talked about after the season it was aired then at least it should be worth watching; I've been disappointed too many times already. No clip shows, no rushed animation, maybe it won't be a commercial for some other product that will never get licensed.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
they still dont get it, they have to be released world wide PARALLEL, with in the next 8h in the Eu and another ca. 8h in the Us, or its a big lose...

better 100% simultaneous released world wide with subs online.., and dubs max 8h later in the Eu, and another ca. 8 in the Us

Last edited by Rai The Noblesse on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

But here's the thing, when the content is released and given to Netflix (which is the same day as Netflix Japan, and the same day it's released) there is no alternative to watch legally now is there? So if you want to watch the content when it is released by the creators, there is no other option than to watch the fansubs. Or VPN and watch the Japanese release if you understand Japanese.

Yea there is an alternative, it's called wait. God forbid people have to wait for anything anymore though. I find it funny you call them arrogant for not catering to a "few thousand fans" as you put it. Why should they? Their business model has worked for them and millions of fans for other shows and tv. Their business model works for them. Demanding they change it for a small percentage is what is arrogant. Now, is their idea for anime SMART? No. They are going against the grain releasing it in the manner they do everything else. That's not arrogance though. That's not really knowing your market for that product well enough and thinking your normal manner of distributing and releasing shows works for everything. At most, incompetence. Not arrogance though. The truly arrogant people are the ones who say they HAVE TO pirate the anime. It's their ONLY option. Not it's not. It's called sit and wait. Ya know, like fans had to in the past. Now days though fans have been spoon fed everything immediately so the idea of waiting AT ALL is alien to them.

If the show was not going to get any sort of legal western release then I could condone, not excuse though, resorting to pirating. The same applies to those where anime is not released legally at all or in very small amounts. Those are the minority though compared to those who CAN watch it legally. Just because you want something doesn't mean you're entitled to it. Welcome to real world.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I understand why people are upset, but for me, this news doesn't trouble me. I prefer binge watching anyway. I consume most of my media in chunks.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:

Yea there is an alternative, it's called wait. God forbid people have to wait for anything anymore though. I find it funny you call them arrogant for not catering to a "few thousand fans" as you put it. Why should they? Their business model has worked for them and millions of fans for other shows and tv. Their business model works for them. Demanding they change it for a small percentage is what is arrogant. Now, is their idea for anime SMART? No. They are going against the grain releasing it in the manner they do everything else. That's not arrogance though. That's not really knowing your market for that product well enough and thinking your normal manner of distributing and releasing shows works for everything. At most, incompetence. Not arrogance though. The truly arrogant people are the ones who say they HAVE TO pirate the anime. It's their ONLY option. Not it's not. It's called sit and wait. Ya know, like fans had to in the past. Now days though fans have been spoon fed everything immediately so the idea of waiting AT ALL is alien to them.

I bolded the clause of why I stated they would have to watch a fan sub. Since you missed that part. There are obviously other options if they didn't care about watching it when it was released, such as waiting (like you stated), or better yet not even watching it at all. I never said the only option is pirating.

However yes it is arrogant because from what we know, Netflix has the knowledge that anime is generally watched week to week, as Netflix Japan made the decision to change to that model because of the data they had. So stating that Netflix "just doesn't know" or "is incompetent" doesn't make sense with their business decisions, since they made changes for that market that states they knew otherwise (and mind you that's only for anime, Netflix still releases other shows all at once in Japan just like the west.) Arrogance is the fact that they just don't care to change a tiny portion of their library for the vast majority of its fans. It wouldn't change their entire business model, as every other show would be completely unaffected. When any other company does the "We know better than our fans, they need to just be happy with the way we do things" they get backlash as well. Just because Netflix is massive doesn't mean they don't deserve the same backlash.

And you're right, it could be just plain ignorance of Netflix not looking at their Japan data at all (something I find very unlikely) but ignorance often leads to arrogance, so arguing semantics is moot.

Anyways, I've said enough on this topic. Since you were a fan through the last anime crash here in the west, then I have no idea why you would be encouraging habits that could promote another one. We're already seeing anime companies go out of business again, or getting bought out. If you want big companies who don't care about fan feedback to be in charge of the fate of anime then so be it. But I do care and will show with my wallet. Waiting for shows sucked, so did trying to get find VHS fansubs tapes, and missing out on 90% of the shows that came out. We all know it could be worse, but just because there were times where it sucked more, doesn't mean that we should be happy that a company is trying to bring us back to a time when things were worse.

Edit: Edited out accusation

Last edited by TasteyCookie on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
So hardcore anime viewers won't wait for this show. Well, if you can tell me what has this series that makes it special and precious other than the graphics, then I'll understand you. I said it, if the series turns out to be a shiny looking but poorly written crap, then the complaints don't have any value whatsoever, and watching the series pirated and weekly will become a grudge instead of something good. I would like that this series and Land of the Lustrous wouldn't be picked up by any of the fansubs group, just to see how hardcore viewers will survive with that.

And I agree with the guy who says that piracy shouldn't discourage you from watching the series legally once it's avaiable. If you really wanna support the anime industry, but watch the series only illegally, then the problem it's not Netflix. It's you as a person who support the illegal distribution of the series. And it's even worse when there's an entitled audience who claims that Asenshi subs will be better subtitlers than Netflix. Guess what, none of the two subtitles HAS. TO. BE. THE. SAME. TEXT. Netflix's is more accessible and easy to understand, while I guess Asenshi is one of those groups which pride themselves of having the "best translation", which is an awkwardly written literal translation, a thing that does more bad than good.

I may not have money to support any streaming service, and I end up watching most anime series illegally, but I'm hating fansubs for things like I mentioned before, so I wait for a dub to appear and give me the most accesible way to understand the plot of the series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

Anyways, I've said enough on this topic. If you truly were a fan through the last anime crash here in the west, then I have no idea why you would be encouraging habits that could promote another one.

One of those habits is in effect illegal, the other isn't.

TasteyCookie wrote:
. Waiting for shows sucked,

Yes it did but if you liked the show that's what you did because that's all you could do especially with a dub.

TasteyCookie wrote:

so did trying to get find VHS fansubs tapes, and missing out on 90% of the shows that came out. We all know it could be worse, but just because there were times where it sucked more, doesn't mean that we should be happy that a company is trying to bring us back to a time when things were worse.

Are they making dubs with dumb script changes or bad edits or mindlessly licensing bad stuff no one is going to like airing them on cable in the dead of night?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

Anyways, I've said enough on this topic. If you truly were a fan through the last anime crash here in the west, then I have no idea why you would be encouraging habits that could promote another one. We're already seeing anime companies go out of business again, or getting bought out. If you want big companies who don't care about fan feedback to be in charge of the fate of anime then so be it. But I do care and will show with my wallet. Waiting for shows sucked, so did trying to get find VHS fansubs tapes, and missing out on 90% of the shows that came out. We all know it could be worse, but just because there were times where it sucked more, doesn't mean that we should be happy that a company is trying to bring us back to a time when things were worse.

For starters, anyone who uses that bolded line, or something similar, is just trying to somehow bash their own views down people's throats while sitting on their lofty pedestal. At what point did I say I wanted, as you put it, "big companies who don't care about fan feedback to be in charge of the fate of anime"? I didn't. I simply am realistic and something called an adult. As an adult you don't get everything you want just because you want it. Not in the real world. Unless you're stinking rich but most of us are not in that 1%. I also never said we should be happy with Netflix's model of doing business in regards to release dates now did I? Nope, sure didn't. I don't agree with it actually and I don't think they've thought this out properly. If they have then I think they're foolish. I don't agree with Netflix just as I don't personally agree with Aniplex's pricing model in NA, and I sure as hell don't agree with Ponycan. Again though, it's called the real world and you don't always get what you want. I accept that just as I accept I can't have that nice fancy Audi A6 simply because I want it and it looks super sweet and the seats are super comfy. Resorting to piracy under the ridiculous idea of "it's the only way I can get it" is just that however, ridiculous. It's just an excuse to either not pay for it or be impatient and not wait because you're "entitled" to it when you want it no matter what. Barring my earlier stipulations of your location and availability of anime of course. I don't encourage pirating anymore than I encourage scanlations, or big name companies getting involved in a niche market they honestly know very little about and could very well hurt more than help. I have to say comparing Netflix' current release schedules to "how it used to be" is a bit over the top in itself though. They may be sitting and releasing all at once and not streaming, but they aren't releasing the series 3-4 episodes at a time every 2-3 months a good year or more after the showed aired in Japan. That's how it used to be.

As for your "real fan" comment, I am a real fan sonny. I've been buying anime and supporting this industry for over 25 years. I was one of those people who had to hunt and scrounge just to watch bootleg vhs tapes that were copied 3 times over before I got to see them. The ones we even could find. Then we had to sit and wait for expensive vhs releases. Don't even get me started on laserdiscs. Those gave way to the dvd single days. Etc etc. I've been supporting this industry with my wallet for a plenty long time thank you very much. I trust you can figure out where you can take your 'if you truly were a fan" line and put it.
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
This Violet Evergarden better be amazing for all this chatter.

But yeah, I can see that not unlike the 24 hour news cycle, people have to have it right away, and feel entitled to have it right away. And while there might have been limited justification for piracy and fansubs well before the streaming era, there's really not in this day and age (no, "I can't wait" isn't justification), especially when a specific, anticipated show such as this has already been picked up for release outside of Japan. Netflix is doing what they've always done, which is developing/acquiring shows and making them available in their season's entirety when the time is right for them. I get that for those that live by simulcasts, the stream and binge giant known as Netflix getting this show isn't ideal, but this is how the streaming landscape is developing, and one streaming entity isn't beholden to how another does it. All I would hope for here is that if people are going to pirate the show, that they support it for real later on when it gets officially released or otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8