• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Well Algard definitely took some inspiration from Dio this episode…
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Correction Lainie doesn't feel Algards pain, she was saying that she still continues to feel the pain from her wound even after regenerating and was commenting on how unbelievable it is that Algard can still move despite the pain he must be in from his wounds.
Amy192

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
That Lainie magicite thing was a terrible mistranslation from Muse Asia, if you watch the Crunchyroll subs (or read the original source material) she was just saying that the pain of having her chest ripped open didn't go away even after it was regenerated.

So basically Algard was constantly feeling the pain from all of his injuries the entire fight, while Lainie only(?) felt the pain of the her chest being ripped open
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:48 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Correction Lainie doesn't feel Algards pain, she was saying that she still continues to feel the pain from her wound even after regenerating and was commenting on how unbelievable it is that Algard can still move despite the pain he must be in from his wounds.

Apparently Muse Asia came out with some incorrect subs first which was the cause of all the confusion over this line.

Anyway, this has always been one of my favourite scenes in the series. The bittersweet nature of how Algard parted with everyone was great.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Judging by his eyes remaining red, it seems Algard is still a vampire—which means he has tons of magic power and the ability to brainwash those around him magically... The pessimistic part of me wonders if that's why he got such a light sentence for his treason—he charmed his parents as Anis, the only one immune, wasn't in the room to stop him.

The anime left out a few details from the LN: Algard only inherited the regeneration abilities so he can't use charm like Lainie. It's impossible to undo his vampirism which is the actual reason why the king had to disown him. The reason he seemingly got a light sentence is because the king ordered him to become a test subject for vampire research during his exile. The guards will kill him if he tries anything funny though.

Interestingly, Euphie didn't break her sword while trying to stop the fight unlike in the LN. I wonder if this is going to affect a certain character's appearance in the next episode?

Last edited by Aerodynamic41 on Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
One detail they actually gloss over in the anime as opposed to the novels that's relevant to the review is that Algard actually doesn't have the vampire's charming abilities, since it turns out that just thrusting the magicite into his chest didn't perfectly transfer all the vampire powers. That said, one of the reasons he was kept alive was because while imperfect, he's still one of 2 known vampires which makes him useful for studying them since there's likely a bunch more dormant in the population and he's explicitly being used to help vampire research in the novels
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:52 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

Even without incorrect subs, looking at the scene again, I can see how people might get the wrong idea--it cuts straight from her in pain after regenerating to Algard getting sliced open, and at the end, it shows her wincing when Euphie slaps him. Ultimately, though, if this was the case, it'd be pretty stupid of them to send him off to a labor camp without doing anything about his soul-link to an innocent person, so that interpretation can't be right. Seems like this was just meant to show that Algard eventually had to stop fighting because he was in too much pain.

An interesting sympathy-for-the-devil episode; not at all what I expected from last week's cliffhanger. This didn't feel like a finale to me, as there are still a lot of loose ends (how Anis navigates the political cataclysm left over from Al's shenanigans, her still-unfinished relationship with Euphie and apparently also the one between Lainie and Ilia, whether Anis can even survive with that cursed dragon tatoo, etc.), but they certainly packed a lot of drama in there. You know an episode is serious business when it skips the opening and ending themes.

Edit: Well, I guess the vampire charming theory is off the table, if the books explicitly say he doesn't have it. Feel like they should have mentioned that in the anime, though I guess Anis probably would have noticed if he did have it.
MMOSimca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
So, we think this is probably going for 12 episodes, right?

If that's the case, I guess they plan to adapt the entirety of book 3 of the LN series... maybe even a bit of book 4.

The ending might be really nice then, especially for an LN -> anime adaptation (which seems to often have endings that either diverge heavily from the source material or end abruptly on a "maybe to be continued, idk if we can justify a second season yet lol" cliffhanger).
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I like that Algard's motives basically come back to his love for his sister. He knows she's better than him and he couldn't stand the fact that no one would ever acknowledge her simply because she lacked magic. In the end, he wanted to create a world where people like his sister wouldn't be ignored due to old-fashioned notions like tradition.

It was actually pointed out to me that while Anis could gain recognition through her research she wasn't actually using it that way. She refused to spread her knowledge around or take credit for any of her actions, most likely because she didn't want to cause trouble for her brother.

I imagine that is going to change moving forward.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is probably going to be a continuation of the light novels, but in another multiverse, Algard steps out of the shower, and everything that came before was just a dream.......Algard's own 'Bobby Ewing' moment.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:24 pm Reply with quote
MMOSimca wrote:
So, we think this is probably going for 12 episodes, right?

MAL claims it's 12. I don't know where they get that info, or why it's even hard to find out this far into a season, but they're usually accurate, I think.

My one disappointment with this show is still Euphie's limited role; despite Anis pushing her to do her own thing, so far all she's really done is tag along with Anis and occasionally bail her out when she gets in over her head. With Anis in a coma and also a royal mess (pun intended), Euphie will probably have more to do in the last few episodes, but likely still revolving around supporting her disaster princess girlfriend. It sounds like some Euphie-related things were cut for the adaptation, so maybe that's the main issue.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised when Lainie regenerated from some blood even after the stone was removed, but I guess I was just confused on the source of her power being directly tied to the stone and not just a consequence of her biology.

Anyway, I like the way the story went with this after the cliffhanger last week. Wasn't expecting such a peaceful resolution
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:18 am Reply with quote
Didn't they say that vampires can brainwash precisely because they AREN'T immortal?
And how could she survive if the source of her vampirism was gone anyway?

As for Algard, what was really his plan in the end? Did he just want to remove himself and take the conservatives with him? And what did the conservatives hope to achieve with all this?
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

As for Algard, what was really his plan in the end? Did he just want to remove himself and take the conservatives with him? And what did the conservatives hope to achieve with all this?

Al's original plan was to use Lainie to charm the nobles so he could carry out a change of the system (including getting rid of people like Chatereuse) without a civil war.

The Chatereuse faction was working with Al so they could gain greater power and influence over the kingdom, they didn't know Al was going to double cross them.

After Anis took Lainie, the plan went off the rails. At that point, Al determined to become a vampire and do it himself but when he realized he couldn't charm anyone like Lainie could, he probably just wanted to die.
Erulogos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:28 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Didn't they say that vampires can brainwash precisely because they AREN'T immortal?
And how could she survive if the source of her vampirism was gone anyway?

I'm not sure where some commenters are attaching 'immortal' in the sense of ageless to vampires in this universe, maybe LN knowledge, but they are shown to at least be really hard to kill. My guess is that vampirism is an imperfect immortality, hence the added brainwashing ability, but since the initial goal was eternal life they still ended up durable and long lived.

The magicite wasn't the source of her vampirism, the healing sequence shows Lainie growing new magicite before her chest wound closes IIRC, and the chunk Algard pulled from her would hardly have fit within an infant so she couldn't have had it from birth. It likely formed within her over time, and may even have grown when Tilty 'activated' Lainie's vampirism in full.

Yuvelir wrote:

Al was playing a Xanatos Gambit. His stated plan was to seize power as a tyrant, purge the nobility, and force through his desired reforms. The nobles that supported him believed he'd be purging their enemies and enacting their policies, but he actually planned to opposite. However, that was his plan B, in the end his plan A was to piss off his sister enough to get her to step up, take the throne back, exposed all the noble who'd conspired with him, and likely kill him (the end of the fight scene shows he either wanted that, or at least was at peace with it, and how he fought before then seems to support wanting Anis to win.) Either way, corrupt ultra-conservative nobles are removed and a monarch who will improve things for the magicless ends up on the throne.

It can be debated how conscious Al actually was of his own plan A until sometime during his fight with Anis, his inferiority complex and the general stress of being crown prince may have made too much noise in his head for him to have clarity, but clearly his subconscious always planned for the possibility since everything lines up too neatly for it to be otherwise (and the series seems put together enough that I don't think the author dropped a complete Deus ex Machina on us.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9