• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Denno Coil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
I came late to this series but fell in love with it. I'm not particularily enamoured of the character designs (there was one single scene in six episodes where I stopped to make a cap for avatar use - Isako at the Matsuri in ep 5), but the whole thing comes together really well. Until I checked the credits I almost expected to see Konaka's name, what with the digital/real world duality that has been explored by him in Lain and Digimon Tamers.
Anyone know when the opening single is coming out? I've not found anything other than the OST so far and the DVDs aren't out till September.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I apologize for not keeping up with this thread recently, as well as to wao for being unable to help him.

Cloe wrote:
I'm so curious about what it would be like to live in this particular city as a person who's completely clueless when it comes to electronic things. The kind of person who doesn't even know how to turn on a computer, you know? Someone on another forum mentioned how none of the adults (besides Granny) in the series so far have been seen wearing dennou glasses, so concepts like Densuke and Satchii and Mojo are completely abstract to them. They're completely detached from the cyber world.

Maybe there's a point that Iso is trying to make with the innocence and naivety or the young and the knowing wisdom and experience of the old (eccentric kind of old, with the case of Granny)? Or perhaps I'm throwing out an old tried-and-true theme that might not be there?

DKL wrote:
Yeah... man, the series has been like on a non-stop improvement; it's REALLY good.

I'm rather stunned that the animation has taken a noticeable nose-dive in quality, five episodes in. Greatest animation in an anime television series EVAR? Hm...

Not much more to add other than I'm really satisfied with where the direction that this story is going. There is obviously some sort of central plot/idea, what with spoiler[Isako taking charge and working Daichi's group to her own machinations,] but it still retains the charm and wonder of the initial episodes. The focus on it feels rather minimal, too; it takes a back seat to the usual antics of these different kids and their respective factions.

I've never enjoyed an anime like this on a weekly basis like Denno Coil. (Last possibility would've been Paranoia Agent, and I was still rather ignorant of a lot of anime at the time, never mind fansubs.) Every single minute oozes with sheer quality and imagination. I have it rated as "Excellent" right now, but if it goes on like this I wouldn't hesitate to give it a "Masterpiece" as it does so many things differently from what's expected of anime and it does them so well. It's simply phenomenal.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Until I checked the credits I almost expected to see Konaka's name, what with the digital/real world duality that has been explored by him in Lain and Digimon Tamers.

Naw, these kids might actually be altogether in the head. Razz
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:
And this is where I would like to ask for help. I've done a crude google search for finding out where to buy it, and so far I've found only this site (JBOOKS.com) which... doesn't seem to ship overseas. I cannot find a single other site that stocks it yet! How could I possibly get this...? I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of this, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Currently my only option would be to get someone from Japan to help me order it and ship it over, but isn't there some other place...?

Yikes, I have absolutely no idea where to find that Roman Album. My advice would be to go to dormcat; he's much better at digging up online retail deals than almost anyone else I know.

And thanks for the information! I'm still crossing my fingers for an R1 release, but the price on the R2 is actually pretty reasonable, all things considered (especially if goodies like key animation and storyboards are included).

Sorry for ignoring this thread, guys! I haven't even had a chance to watch episodes 4 and 5 yet (and won't get a chance for a few days yet--work and something I'm doing for Bamboo is taking up all of my time), but once I do you'd better believe I'll back in here, raving my lungs out (er... more like tiring my fingers out typing all the aforementioned raving).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm, just read about this series this morning after seeing a blog comment somewhere, and Cloes opening post made me go and get the first 5 episodes immediately.

Gotta say, it's been a while since an anime grabbed my attention this much. It really does seem to be a step above the ususal stuff, so far every aspect - characters, atmosphere, art, animation, story, pacing - is high-quality. It's too early to give a verdict (even to attract more attention), but I can't see this series getting anything less than an excellent rating from me.

In terms of making comparisons to other shows - Lain is superficially similar in terms of the computer technology, but shows like Windy Tales come much close to to atmosphere. Unlike Windy Tales though, there's a definite impetus to develop the story - the scene with the multiple Tori gates was the biggest indicator.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I kind of fell behind on this, and just got around to watching episodes 3 and 4 the other day. I was disappointed with the second Yoko, as they seem to be using the old "ice queen with a mysterious past" archetype. So far the characterizations have been excellent and she came off as a step backwards. But the frenzied pace of those episodes was highly entertaining so I didn't mind too much.

Quote:

I've never enjoyed an anime like this on a weekly basis like Denno Coil. (Last possibility would've been Paranoia Agent, and I was still rather ignorant of a lot of anime at the time, never mind fansubs.) Every single minute oozes with sheer quality and imagination. I have it rated as "Excellent" right now, but if it goes on like this I wouldn't hesitate to give it a "Masterpiece" as it does so many things differently from what's expected of anime and it does them so well. It's simply phenomenal.

See, while I agree that it's a great anime so far I wouldn't go that far. The animation, writing and direction have all been top notch, but my biggest hang-up (aside from that character) is the fact that the world hasn't been fully developed. I realize it's early in the series, but little details like "how are the beams hurting them?" always drive me nuts when I'm watching stuff like this. And despite the imagination put into it I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing some kind of video game. Even though Denno Coil tops in in terms of of production, direction and writing (and when all is said and done will probably be a more satisfying series) I think the show I'm most enjoying this year is Gurren Lagann, if only because of its "shonen heart"/Kamina being pure awesomeness. But in any case DC is great and most likely on its way to "classic" status if the initial episodes are any indication.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that the beams weren't really hurting people...

Just screwing up the glasses (which is apparently costly)...

But then, I'm not sure and this is only guess-work based on the first 5 episodes.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
See, while I agree that it's a great anime so far I wouldn't go that far. The animation, writing and direction have all been top notch, but my biggest hang-up (aside from that character) is the fact that the world hasn't been fully developed. I realize it's early in the series, but little details like "how are the beams hurting them?" always drive me nuts when I'm watching stuff like this.

I dunno. This is far from the first time where the schematics of the world is unexlpained early in the anime and it has turned out that I end up liking it a hell of a lot. ABe series, certainly, along with Izubuchi's work (d00d, check out The Skull Man if you haven't, as its one of the best mystery anime in a good while). Yeah, Denno Coil isn't meant to be those type of series, nor it hasn't laid out as clear of a fondation of its world as another show this season, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit (seen comparisons of that to The Twelve Kingdoms, which I plan on watching soon), but the uncertainty and the matter-of-fact way the details are thrown at you with having to accept them along with the ride works for me.

Quote:
And despite the imagination put into it I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing some kind of video game.

The world seems kind of set up that way, which kind of adds to the charm. This is coming from someone who has practically distanced himself from video games altogether. Very Happy

Quote:
... I think the show I'm most enjoying this year is Gurren Lagann, if only because of its "shonen heart"/Kamina being pure awesomeness.

Ha, glad to see that you got around to it. It's a good ol' over-the-top mecha anime with great bravado and manliness and heart.

DKL wrote:
I was under the impression that the beams weren't really hurting people...

Just screwing up the glasses (which is apparently costly)...

I'd guess that the beams somehow screws up the data of whatever space, causing something that like Satchii to get momentarily fried. How this impacts real, living things such as humans who are simply wearing the glasses... well, it would involve something similar to them losing their signal like in episode five. I can't really rack my brain this late at night as it is, so I'll try to come up with a reasonable guess later.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Nah, your thing about space sounds about right.
wao

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
wao wrote:
And this is where I would like to ask for help. I've done a crude google search for finding out where to buy it, and so far I've found only this site (JBOOKS.com) which... doesn't seem to ship overseas. I cannot find a single other site that stocks it yet! How could I possibly get this...? I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of this, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Currently my only option would be to get someone from Japan to help me order it and ship it over, but isn't there some other place...?

Yikes, I have absolutely no idea where to find that Roman Album. My advice would be to go to dormcat; he's much better at digging up online retail deals than almost anyone else I know.

Bah, if I asked dormcat I would be bracing for some freezing reply or something. Anyway, it turns out all I needed was a bit of patience, it's even on amazon now. Once again, at the ridiculously cheap price of 800 yen.
...and now I'm going to bang my head on the table because if I got my brother to order it with the novel and soundtrack then I wouldn't be stuck with the stupid situation of having 2,200 yen in shipping fees for an 800 yen book which I refuse to accept. Screw you Amazon, and your lack of economy shipping! Aargh! Guess I'll have to look elsewhere. I just hope they ship overseas.

I believe the megane beams and all other digital attacks hurt the spectacles rather than the actual people. Which may not seem like a big deal at all, but perhaps the point is that to these kids they've become so reliant and dependant on the spectacles as part of their life - they'd like to believe they're as important as their eyes - that if their spectacles got damaged it would be devastating to not be able to use it until they got back the money to repair it.

One question that's been bugging me and others, even Japanese fans, is - why can't they just switch off their spectacles? I hope this isn't a spoiler, but for the sake of argument I'll just mention in ep 6 it's shown that they can switch off their spectacles and Sacchi does not attack them. Hence, if one was super concerned about the money they'd have to pay in getting their stuff damaged then they could avoid it all by shutting off their specs. But I suppose for gangs like Daichi's it's a. cowardly and b. inconvenient to switch it off - because after that I guess they feel like they've got nothing to lean on, they can't communicate the way they used to, and they'd have to get far away before they can turn it on again. It's like using a PC in real life, you could avoid a good amount of viruses if you keep your computer disconnected from the Internet until you really need it, but for people who value constant connectivity (especially when it's linked with services like mobile phones) they'd rather find various ways to stay online for long times and avoid getting attacked rather than keep switching it on and off.
roujin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
So yeah this thread definitely needs a bump. I'm still catching up on the episodes that have been released (currently on 6) and I gotta say that I'm enjoying it a lot. I don't know... I guess that I love the world that these characters live in.This strange world where everything seems to be connected to technology somehow (yes, kind of like OUR world but taken to a somewhat logical extreme)

Also the glasses are a lovely little invention. Man, I got to imagining all the stuff I could do if I had those glasses when I was a kid. I'd love this show even if it just was slice-of-life stuff but the thought of it having an actual plot, it just makes me so happy inside Smile

This is definitely the show that I'm looking forward to seeing more of (along with Gurrenn Lagann) and it's a damn shame that it hasn't been getting more talk (outside of this wonderful but far too small thread)

Anyway, I'll keep posting my thoughts as I watch the series. Heh, sorry it took me so long to join the party of Dennou lovers Sad
vylo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And you haven't taken to Madhouse until just recently, Cloe? They've been my favorite anime studio ever since I start to learn about which one is which, and I'm probably their second biggest fanboy on ANN (DKL takes the top spot). Their resume is the best in the business, since you have such a wonderful variety of works coming out from them with something that just about anybody can appreciate, which I can't say for other studios. They've also been around for ages.

Wow, I just bothered to look at it. I know they were involved with death note and claymore, but Gunslinger girl and Trigun too?
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:
One question that's been bugging me and others, even Japanese fans, is - why can't they just switch off their spectacles? I hope this isn't a spoiler, but for the sake of argument I'll just mention in ep 6 it's shown that they can switch off their spectacles and Sacchi does not attack them. Hence, if one was super concerned about the money they'd have to pay in getting their stuff damaged then they could avoid it all by shutting off their specs. But I suppose for gangs like Daichi's it's a. cowardly and b. inconvenient to switch it off - because after that I guess they feel like they've got nothing to lean on, they can't communicate the way they used to, and they'd have to get far away before they can turn it on again. It's like using a PC in real life, you could avoid a good amount of viruses if you keep your computer disconnected from the Internet until you really need it, but for people who value constant connectivity (especially when it's linked with services like mobile phones) they'd rather find various ways to stay online for long times and avoid getting attacked rather than keep switching it on and off.

I felt that episode 6 kind of touched on this issue. When Yasako and Fumie take off their glasses, they talk about how uncomfortable it makes them, even to go so far as to say "Maybe it's too late for us to become normal kids again." I kind of love it. They've become so reliant on this technology that it feels almost naked to walk around without it--and hence, it doesn't occur to them to turn off their glasses. I can feel that same kind of dependence on stuff like cell phones today (and Japan is the most cell-phone-centric country there is, so I imagine the creators can relate even more to this phenomena).

I can't really emphasize any more how original and charming and engrossing the world these kids inhabit is. The external plot got a too standard for me around ep. 6 (although it picked back up after that), but the quirks of the cyber world are as interesting as ever.

And, of course, the animation quality is still mind-numbingly good, even after 12 episodes. I hope more and more people will check this out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6