• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Samurai 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
A Picture of Longing wrote:

Apparently, you've never seen Fruits Basket.

Ack.. I can't believe I forgot to mention FB!
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
And roughly 1 in every 5 actually buys a DVD.

You're working at the mall. Not everyone goes to the mall to buy stuff. Anime fans are likely to walk in and look at the selection just because it's there.

Plus, Suncoast is unbelievably overpriced. I think I'd shoot myself if I actually bought a DVD from there.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:05 am Reply with quote
I've been buying most of my Anime from Suncoast. It makes it hard to buy more from there because its so expensive. After taking a look at DeepDiscountDVD, I'm going to buy as much as possible from there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Darkener

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
I could never force myself to buy anything from Suncoast... but there isn't any around were a live any more so that is a plus... but I usually buy most of my animes from Best Buy or online stores like bestprices.com... Smile
coachkaveman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
kangarugh22 wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now all the good subbers will stop. This is terrible news!

I'm pretty sure this guy has never bought an Anime dvd in his life.

I second your remark. He sounds like the guy on the Madlax thread
complaining that ADV licensed Madlax before the last episode just to piss of fansubbers.

PS: after talking to fluent Japanese speakers, most fansubs are very bad and poorly edited, they are nice to have but in no way should be compared to actual licensed translations.

IMHO,

coachk
Toboe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
This announcement makes me happy; Gonzo sunk a hell of a lot of money into Samurai 7 and frankly, a 200mb fansub just doesn't do the animation quality justice. I'd like to see a non-blurry version with a professional translation.
srintuar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:57 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Quote:
I'm in college and I don't have tons of money to spend 30 dollars on terrible dubs with 3 episode per disc.
I can't afford a Ferrari, but I'm not going to steal one.

Bad analogy: copyright infringement is not stealing. (so says the law). So there is no high moral ground to be had here. Even a "sense of entitlement" is not automatically a bad thing. Copyright infringement may be illegal, but it is not immoral. (all copyrights eventually end, at which point everyone is entitled legally)

I also would like to see manga artists compensated, but the current system isnt working so well, imo.

Reasons:

1. few people buy anime DVD's because the price is too high. (more people would be tempted by the higher quality if the price was reasonable)

2. In "piracy" of copyright, when those who would not pay for a copyright licensed version get a copy anyway, the creators lose no money, but more people are exposed to their work. (which is beneficial to them)

3. Buying the official DVD's is a lot less convenient than working with highly compressed Xvid/Vorbis/ogm's etc. Officially licensed releases are always going to be 10 years behind technologically.

4. Fansubbers often create better subtitles.
DarkParagon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, you know I can't speak for others but I'm personally glad it's been licensed because I've REALLY been enjoying it. Yes I'm sad because now it will be harder to find/download... but not impossible (on-the-side: What's with Lunar's take on rice-villager-speak?). But I'm the type of person who (usually) buys what they watch (I own over 100+ Anime DVDs - which is probably nothing to some people). Samurai 7 was already on my buy list before it was licensed. This just means I don't have to wait for it to arrive in my collection (like I do with Scrapped Princess - thankgoditsbeenlicensedfinally)... Tenjou Tenge, FMA, etc... All on my buy lists....

Of course... I don't care what they spent on the FMA license, if they release a 52 episode anime with 3 episodes per disc I'm not buying it... I'd rather them up the price of the DVD and put 4 or 5 episodes on each and fool me into thinking I'm getting more for my money. I didn't buy InuYasha for this reason... maybe once the boxed sets come out if I still feel the need to add it to my collection... I can MAYBE put up with 3/disc in a 26 episode series but beyond that is just too many DVDs all at once...
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:16 pm Reply with quote
The biggest reason why fansubber have better subs in terms of style is that DVD hardware can only dispay 4 colors (2 bits), and only display 2 colors simultaneously. DVD hardware also cannot render fonts.

Maybe sometime in the future DVD hardware will be updated, but I doubt it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
srintuar, in all of that process, you fail to mention where the artist gets any money. So, it'll just magically appear in his wallet? I think not. That's why fansubbing and piracy are bad.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:26 pm Reply with quote
srintuar wrote:
1. few people buy anime DVD's because the price is too high. (more people would be tempted by the higher quality if the price was reasonable)

Then buy more now! The reason anime DVDs are (only slightly) more expensive than majour Hollywood movies is that the domestic anime industry is a very niche market. Not many people buy, so the price has to go up to compensate. If more people buy, the price will eventually go down (just as the number of discs per series has done, the standards are leaning more towards seven and three discs than eight and four, lately).

If everyone pirates anime and nobody buys, then the price goes up to compensate or fewer titles are licensed.

srintuar wrote:
2. In "piracy" of copyright, when those who would not pay for a copyright licensed version get a copy anyway, the creators lose no money, but more people are exposed to their work. (which is beneficial to them)

Exposure is great & all, but since the creators do this for a living, they need something that will support a living. Exposure doesn't do that, but money does. Sure, technically no money is "lost" due to piracy, but the amount of money actually earned off of a title is lessened. The amount of revenue a title generates is lessened. The amount of money the creator gets is lessened. As a result, the kind of life they live and the amount of money they can put into future projects (say it with me, kids) is lessened.

srintuar wrote:
3. Buying the official DVD's is a lot less convenient than working with highly compressed Xvid/Vorbis/ogm's etc. Officially licensed releases are always going to be 10 years behind technologically.

What do you base this on? Fansub video quality SUCKS compared to DVD! Are you visually impaired or does your unfounded bias force a blind eye to just how blurry fansubs look compared to official releases?

srintuar wrote:

Based on WHAT!? Are you fluent in Japanese? If not, then don't even BEGIN to comment on the translation quality. If you're talking about how pretty the letters are, I'd much rather have standard sans-serif yellow type than some fancy (ugly) script font I can hardly read (which are what many fansubbers tend to use, unfortunately).

I am so sick of people who use point #4. It's always wrong no matter what angle you approach it from...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote
CrackaJax wrote:
srintuar, in all of that process, you fail to mention where the artist gets any money. So, it'll just magically appear in his wallet? I think not. That's why fansubbing and piracy are bad.

merchandise and production. nobody makes their money on the show it's self, look at Rumiko Takahashi.
srintuar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Then buy more now! The reason anime DVDs are (only slightly) more expensive than majour Hollywood movies is that the domestic anime industry is a very niche market. Not many people buy, so the price has to go up to compensate.

On the contrary, buying more will only sustain the high prices.
DVD's have a super-low marginal cost, so no matter how few or many they sell there is no scale of economy. In the copyright-content market, the ideal price is the one that brings in the highest gross amount. In light of the internet, setting super high prices is almost guaranteeing low sales.

Nagisa wrote:

Sure, technically no money is "lost" due to piracy, but the amount of money actually earned off of a title is lessened.

Not true again: many people who download a show end up disliking it and would never buy it. Many people who download one simply could never afford to buy it unless they suddenly got rich. No money was lost in those cases.

Nagisa wrote:

What do you base this on? Fansub video quality SUCKS compared to DVD! Are you visually impaired or does your unfounded bias force a blind eye to just how blurry fansubs look compared to official releases?

An typical fan-encode already has more resolution than my television can show. I actually find the DVD players output to be considerably worse in terms of quality. I dont really like popping disks in and out to watch shows, not slow load times after a disk is inserted, non skippable FBI warnings and advertisements, clunky and often crashy menus.

At this point, I can honestly say I hate DVDs, as a delivery format.

Nagisa wrote:

srintuar wrote:

Based on WHAT!? Are you fluent in Japanese? If not, then don't even BEGIN to comment on the translation quality.

I am so sick of people who use point #4. It's always wrong no matter what angle you approach it from...

Fluent no, but I can understand enough of most shows to find incongruities in the subtitles. I found that the high budget ones such as those added to "spirited away" by disney that pretty much botched the ending of the show, are often among the worst offenders.

Fansubbers seem to have a better sense of when NOT to translate, and let the original foreign word stand. (hissatuwaza names, words such as "nakama", etc )

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I think the solution is to make the stuff cheaper, and get it to market faster. (I dont really appreciate having to wait years to see a show). I think that would broaden the market, and bring more money back to the creators
Fandrez

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Yay, they snagged it. I sort of miss the fan subs, but I can always wait to see it in better quality. Plus, if you don't like the dub, hopefully there will still be the sub.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:14 pm Reply with quote
xzeromega wrote:
what i think IS concerning you is wether or not [edit - deleted post -c]

ok, let's end this freakin argument, as mentioned from [group], they will now continue subbing samurai 7 as mentioned above (extracted from their website). So now our poor anime fans now continue enjoy this amazing anime series, while you rich freakin kids can decide on buying the anime dvds or not. There, happy?

I hope you guys could understand that not much of us people here are super rich to buy anime. Sure, if u people have jobs, but there are people that don't have jobs but still enjoys anime too. Anime is suppose to be a fun thing for people to enjoy..and now it pisses me off to see kids fighting each other out showing off their richness.

And you wonder why the fansub community are look down upon based on what you just said. NOT EVERYONE IS SUPER RICH. People work hard to make a living. People work hard to pay for thier entertaiment. If you don't have a job, get off your lazy ass from downloading anime all day and go look for a job. I hate it how people are saying you have to be rich to buy anime and have no clue on how hard people work and save up. Nobody's here is super rich, we just make enough to live and enjoy life. Are you stupid? Do you live your life with that assumption that people who can afford to buy stuff are rich while people who steal are poor? Because even though I'm not rich I can still buy stuff.

You said anime is suppose to be fun and for people to enjoy? So that mean the creater just made it without any intention to make money? Hey I know BMW and Lexus are fun too so that mean everyone should get one right?

One last thing, just because you're poor that doesn't give you a right to steal. I can't believe how many dumbass still use this excuse to justified their action. Being poor doesn't give you more right than working and having money. You have internet connection, how the hell does that make you poor? People use the word poor loosely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10