• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
Oh crap, people making insults/ad homeinem attacks for peoples' anime preferences again. Looks like we might need a modwatch like this thread...
You're too late, he was here before you showed up.

Now I wouldn't mind hearing from you just what you see as "insults/ad homeinem attacks" on anime preferences, in a purely objective view of course. Care to enlighten us?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
XxnarutogrlxX wrote:
It's not so much that i am dreading the new series it's more like the suspense you have.I of course have read the FullMetal Alchemist manga and enjoy it just as much as the anime adaption.

In some ways it feels a bit unneccesary.I was ecstatic about the news of a new series.But when I found out that it was all going to be fit into a 51-episode series i was a little let-down.I figured the series would stretch to a similar episode-range as Naruto or Bleach.Or just at least mnore than 51 episodes.

That's incorrect, the 51 episode count that is going around is not official. At the TAC, it was revealed that the total number of episodes is not decided, because the manga is not yet over.

So your biggest worry is probably gone now.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
Oh crap, people making insults/ad homeinem attacks for peoples' anime preferences again. Looks like we might need a modwatch like this thread...

Now I wouldn't mind hearing from you just what you see as "insults/ad homeinem attacks" on anime preferences, in a purely objective view of course. Care to enlighten us?

The fact that you're using a stereotype in order to make it sound like everyone who watches that show is "one of them" and attempt to invalidate the existence of any potential redeeming qualities a title might have because it happens to be moe, what else? I mean, the basic gist of your posts consist of "Title "X" belongs to "Y" genre, titles of the "Y" genre cater to "Z" group of people who have "A" lifestyle, so therefore title "X" has no value and genre "Y" has no capacity to have titles of any value." Seriously, you're presenting yourself as if though people have to have that "negative lifestyle" in order to be able to enjoy or find anything redeeming about titles that belong to the moe genre. Have you even met any of these types of moe fans in person? I mean, I can't dispute you if you felt uncomfortable watching something like Strike Witches--That's your taste and I can't tell you you should feel a certain way watching a particular title. But to simply write off as anything moe as "poor entertainment programs" just because a certain group of people happen to prefer such shows is an absurd argument that not only ignores the possibility that there may be some merit in individual "moe" titles, but it also attempts to equate anyone who may like such shows as "those people".

Even if every moe fan was the stereotypical niche otaku, the entire anime industry is in no way, shape or form to invalidate moe titles and do away with them, because they happen to *gasp* generate money! People watch it on TV, buy the DVDs, and buy the merchandise associated with "X" moe title. Even if it supposedly has no "artistic value" at all, it damn well has economic value--One that companies happen to use to create "good entertainment programs" that you might happen to like. Now considering that we're in a bad economy and all, where's the bigger problem in the industry--The companies getting a little bad press because some lunatic happens to be a moe fan, or having them go bankrupt due to a loss of money from not creating any profitable titles? I wonder, is the entire anime industry really worth collapsing just because some "poor entertainment programs" happen to be popular with a certain group of people?

So you don't like moe, big deal. There are hundreds of titles out there that you might enjoy that aren't moe/harem/loli/whatever. Why don't you actually watch them instead of ranting on and on and making sweeping generalizations about people who might watch something you don't like?

Grow up.

Last edited by grgspunk on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
grgspunk wrote:

Grow up.
You first. When you realize moe is not even suitable for the majority of general audiences. That the moe story element portrays female characters to be substantial and one-dimensional. That the niche and undesirable moe fandom is an aging and dying demographic with an even less market returns. And once that's gone, whatever the anime industry that depend on it will go with it. Because just like you said that in today's economy, people who watched it doesn't mean that they will buy it. I'm talking about a business that needs to survive by playing the number game in a capitalistic consumerism, not some social service with a heavy price tag for a minority group.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
Grow up.
You first.

For some reason, I find this very amusing and ironic.

As for the rest of you post, I hardly know where to begin. And I'm not even a moe fan (or a moe hater), as I have never seen a so-called "moe show." I think I'll refrain from commenting on most of your post for now, maybe when I have more time and am more awake I'll say more, but there is one thing I want to bring up.

Do you honestly think anime companies are making moe shows out of some weird desire to... what did you call it? Serve as a "social service with a heavy price tag for a minority group?" That is loony. Anime companies are making moe shows because they sell. If they stop selling, anime companies will start making different types of shows. It's as simple as that.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
When you realize moe is not even suitable for the majority of general audiences.
Like most anime and manga.
Quote:
That the moe story element portrays female characters to be substantial and one-dimensional.

Please tell what exactly is this "moe story element" you speak of.

Just because character can be considered "moe" does not make the character one-dimensional.
Quote:
That the niche and undesirable moe fandom is an aging and dying demographic with an even less market returns.

Niche? Aging? Dying? Have you checked what shows DVDs are the best selling in Japan.

Quote:
And once that's gone, whatever the anime industry that depend on it will go with it. Because just like you said that in today's economy, people who watched it doesn't mean that they will buy it. I'm talking about a business that needs to survive by playing the number game in a capitalistic consumerism, not some social service with a heavy price tag for a minority group.

The shows that bring in the biggest money are what you would consider "moe shows". Otaku buy the DVDs, manga, dakimakura, oppai pads, trading cards, games, super limited collectors gold edition of the DVD and all merchandise that they get their hand on. That's a hell lot money than the overseas fans who buy just the DVD for 1/3 of the Japanese price.

When the minority brings more money than the casual crowd you should pick the minority if you plan to survive in this economical situation.

Quote:
undesirable moe fandom

When was this decided and who decided it?
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, are you for reals, Dom? I mean, if you're trolling, you should get a medal. If you're not... lol :\ Arguments about art always end well, amirite?

I dunno, maybe we need to define what you mean when you say moe. To me, moe is Aria, Azumanga Daioh, and characters like Yotsuba or Presea from ToS; there's no hidden sexual agenda when I use the word. KnJ is not moe, it's gross and it's freaking creepy. Strike Witches, which was brought up, was even borderline for me. To say that anime that overly sexualizes young characters is distasteful or unwholesome is something I can agree with you on, but when people like you go on rampages with little virtual "Down with moe!" kamikaze headbands, it's rather insulting to people like me who take a more middle ground stance to the issue and/or don't equate moe with pedophelia.

So, if you care to continue this discussion, let's get some terms defined first.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Grow up.
You first. When you realize moe is not even suitable for the majority of general audiences. That the moe story element portrays female characters to be substantial and one-dimensional. That the niche and undesirable moe fandom is an aging and dying demographic with an even less market returns. And once that's gone, whatever the anime industry that depend on it will go with it. Because just like you said that in today's economy, people who watched it doesn't mean that they will buy it. I'm talking about a business that needs to survive by playing the number game in a capitalistic consumerism, not some social service with a heavy price tag for a minority group.

Dude, don't ask for an intelligent response, then misquote it to make it look like a snide one-liner when you get the response you asked for. That just makes people think you're a stupid jerk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7