• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online episodes 1-7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
I should've lowered my expectations of this show the minute someone said the same person that worked on Accel World worked on Sword Art Online. Thanks to whoever mentioned the connection of the two shows!

THEY WERE WRITTEN BY THE SAME PERSON

Not "worked on", originally written.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Which is just reinforcing the guy's dislike.

Way to go, Fencedude5609.
merc_ury

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth..... this show reminds me of Ultima Online minus the magery. A really old mmorg yet everything about the rules seems exactly like pre-rensaissance era UO. That's why I like this show!! Very Happy

Yeah, I'm old Razz
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Your right it makes me even feel less enthusiastic knowing it is actually written by the same person. Anyway I learned that I should do my homework like fencedude5609 and dtm42 instead of setting up the show to be something more than what it is capable of achieving.

@fencedude5609 I think you were right when you don't need to know the reasons for a character being "a loner" in the beginning of a show. If you look at a show such as Darker Than Black season 1 the lead Hei aka BK201 seems to be against involving or hurting innocent civilians, yet only his actions show this characteristic. In Fate Stay Night you do not understand why Emiya is obsessed with being a hero or why Archer is cynical until much later. Somethings are deliberately not explained early on because of how significant it is in the story.

Last edited by ShinnFlowen on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
do you have to know why he is a loner the moment the anime starts? is it not possible to just watch the show and let it pick the right moment to fully explain why the boy is a loner?
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Veers wrote:
zensunni, that still doesn't at all explain why he's a loner.

...because he is? We don't need to know "why" we just need to know that he is, and have him consistently portrayed that way.

Speaking as an amateur writer, an ontological character who merely is X, instead of becoming X due to their experiences, is a very flat character to me.
So is a character who is gay, instead of becoming gay due to their experiences, a very flat character to you? It's entirely possible that Kirito is just a born loner; he doesn't have to be "broken".
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Veers wrote:
zensunni, that still doesn't at all explain why he's a loner.

...because he is? We don't need to know "why" we just need to know that he is, and have him consistently portrayed that way.

Speaking as an amateur writer, an ontological character who merely is X, instead of becoming X due to their experiences, is a very flat character to me.
So is a character who is gay, instead of becoming gay due to their experiences, a very flat character to you? It's entirely possible that Kirito is just a born loner; he doesn't have to be "broken".

This is a pretty ridiculous analogy. It's like me saying we shouldn't have to have any character development because no one ever explains why someone is female or why someone has brown hair. Being a loner is not something you are "born with." It is something that develops due to your circumstances.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

It is scientifically proven that are persons are born being gay,the same can not be said for being loner.Although you can be born with predisposition to social anxiety,it is mostly environment which shapes you.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This is a pretty ridiculous analogy. It's like me saying we shouldn't have to have any character development because no one ever explains why someone is female or why someone has brown hair. Being a loner is not something you are "born with." It is something that develops due to your circumstances.
danilo07 wrote:
It is scientifically proven that are persons are born being gay,the same can not be said for being loner.Although you can be born with predisposition to social anxiety,it is mostly environment which shapes you.

I'm just going to respond both these ridiculous statements at once:

Introversion is well established to be a personality trait you're born with. Kirito clearly doesn't suffer from social anxiety - forming a number of relationships when it suits him - yet elects to walk alone most of the time. That's perfectly normal. There's no more need to develop that facet of his personality than to give a backstory for an atheist of him losing his faith.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Because he was so ashamed that he put his desire to have the super special last hit bonus EDGY DARK CLOAK above that of the party as a whole (and he was AN EVIL FASCIST BETA TESTER) that he wanted to die. He was crawling and the wounds, they would not heal.

That's freakin dumb. It's this kind of writing that completely takes me out of a show. I was totally on board up until that moment.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

Introversion is well established to be a personality trait you're born with. Kirito clearly doesn't suffer from social anxiety - forming a number of relationships when it suits him - yet elects to walk alone most of the time. That's perfectly normal. There's no more need to develop that facet of his personality than to give a backstory for an atheist of him losing his faith.

You say introversion is "well established" to be a personality trait you are born with, but you don't provide any evidence or research on that. You are simply making a conclusory statement. I have not seen any such collection of research making it clear that introversion/extraversion is purely nature rather than nurture, and I would expect that there is no such conclusive research. We are dealing with highly complex emotional/intellectual identity of human individuals (which by itself is extremely nebulous, unlike say physical bodily functions), where no two human beings are exactly the same. It is like trying to figure out what causes intelligence and whether or not certain people can love/hate better. This is all highly speculative.

On top of that, not all introverts are loners. There are plenty of people who tend to keep their thoughts and feelings mostly to themselves, but still operate flawlessly in a group (in fact I would say the vast majority of introverts do, since we don't live in an isolationist society). A loner is more of a person who rejects society, and that is not an inborn trait of human beings. Human beings are by nature social creatures. Some may be more introverted than others, but that does not mean they reject society. If Kirito is indeed a loner, it means there is something in his life that developed him to reject social interaction.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Introversion is well established to be a personality trait you're born with.

None of the personality traits which humans posses are inherited.They certainly do have genetic component,but it is mostly environment which plays bigger role in deciding which personality trait is more dominant.
Quote:
Kirito clearly doesn't suffer from social anxiety - forming a number of relationships when it suits him - yet elects to walk alone most of the time.

I think the clear difference whether Kirito is introvert or suffers from social anxiety is the reason why he doesn't want to get socially involved.As we can see in episode 2 and 3 he doesn't want to get involved with people cause he is afraid that persons around him will die. Introversion is simply preferring solitary activities over social ones,while social anxiety is avoiding social contact because of fear.
Quote:
There's no more need to develop that facet of his personality than to give a backstory for an atheist of him losing his faith.

Well but they can give you reasons for why some atheist thinks that religion is BS.Unless you suggest that atheism is hereditary?
Also I have read wikipedia entry on SOA and it is explained why Kirito wants to be loner although somehow I highly doubt they will put this in anime.

Last edited by danilo07 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

introvert: A person who is energized by being alone and cares more about the world of ideas than social interaction. Not necessarily people with poor social skills, just people that prefer to be alone and tend to get worn down by social interaction.

I was going to go in to more detail, but somebody else already has.
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
Introversion is well established to be a personality trait you're born with.

None of the personality traits which humans posses are inherited.They certainly do have genetic component,but it is mostly environment which plays bigger role in deciding which personality trait is more dominant.

Unless you have research findings to back up your assertions, I would highly suggest you stop making them. I studied psychology at the graduate level and can tell you that the question of nature vs. nurture on things like personality traits is totally not understood to teh point that you can say that introversion is a learned behavior vs. an inherent personality trait. As a parent, I can also say that my children exhibited very different basic personality traits from an extremely early age, one of them being more social and the other more introverted. If that was determined by environmental forces, it was not something back-story worthy to say the least!
Radrappy wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Because he was so ashamed that he put his desire to have the super special last hit bonus EDGY DARK CLOAK above that of the party as a whole (and he was AN EVIL FASCIST BETA TESTER) that he wanted to die. He was crawling and the wounds, they would not heal.

That's freakin dumb. It's this kind of writing that completely takes me out of a show. I was totally on board up until that moment.

You might want to consider the amount of depressed characters that could be roaming around in a game like this, where you are trapped. Perhaps this "leader" was really leading the charge because he had a will to die? (Not saying that is the case.) I have seen war stories where the guy whose wife left him while he is at the front volunteers for every dangerous mission because he wants to die, yet his skill level and concern for his fellow troops safety make him keep pulling through each mission. Is that complete stupid too? I would bet that is at least partly based in reality.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Lots of reasons why my post was wrong... if you want to read them, click here.

Yes, many of my points were showing valid reasons why Kirito maintains a "loner" lifestyle in the game. That was their intent. As for your argument that his refusal to take Klien's buddies with him to the next town is stupid because they might be as good as him?

How? What are the chances that they were not only one of the 1000 beta testers, but also one of the 100 to 200 that actually did anything - the "Beaters". Kirito knows that his skills are far above those of the average newbie, and that learning to fight in this virtual realm is not that easy. He tells Klien that he feels it will be safe to go to the next town at level 1, instead of hanging around the town of beginnings and leveling up a few times first, because he knows where all of the dangerous places are. How easy is it to get a group of guys he doesn't know through these dangerous places? Hard to say? What level does he think would be safe to go traveling to the next town? He doesn't say, but, I inferred that it would be at least level two or three. (As an old-school table-top RPG player, level 1 characters are good at precisely one thing: Dying!)

Actually, I think the real key to my whole point is summed up in one word in that last paragraph:

Inferred

The writer doesn't have to spoon-feed every little detail about the character's life to the reader/watcher in order to understand where the character is coming from. It is possible to see behavior and infer from that behavior certain things about the character's background.

There is also the possibility that there is no reason for Kirito being a loner! I have known many people in my life that were introverts without having some major life crisis to cause them to be that way. That is just the way they are! Hell, I'm married to one! My wife doesn't like parties, prefers to spend time alone or in small groups, and hates crowds. There isn't some tragic back-story that explains it. It is how she has always been. She isn't socially anxious, she isn't or some sort of misfit. She has plenty of friends and functions fine when she needs to go to parties, but she just prefers to not do it. My father was pretty much the same way. (I'm more like my mom, so I looked for a woman with a personality similar to my dad. I figured that out years ago!)

From what the author has given us, I inferred that he was an introvert of sorts. Why does there have to be some extraneous back-story driven reason for this, instead of it being an accepted character trait? If a person was open and gregarious, would it be necessary to have a back-story segment to explain why he acts that way?

The primary complaint I have seen about SAO is that it got too bogged down in side stories and isn't focusing on the main plot. If the director put in all of the back-story stuff you are wanting, it would only be worse in terms of dragging the main plot into the dirt.

I don't deny that Kirito is, as the reviewer stated, more interesting when he is with certain characters and that he lacks a certain something, but I don't think that his character has been insufficiently explained. The show has consistently shown that he behaves in a particular fashion, and when he decided to break from that pattern, bad things happened. That seems sufficient explanation for his continued behavior to me.

Last edited by zensunni on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Polycell wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

You say introversion is "well established" to be a personality trait you are born with, but you don't provide any evidence or research on that. You are simply making a conclusory statement. I have not seen any such collection of research making it clear that introversion/extraversion is purely nature rather than nurture, and I would expect that there is no such conclusive research. We are dealing with highly complex emotional/intellectual identity of human individuals (which by itself is extremely nebulous, unlike say physical bodily functions), where no two human beings are exactly the same. It is like trying to figure out what causes intelligence and whether or not certain people can love/hate better. This is all highly speculative.

On top of that, not all introverts are loners. There are plenty of people who tend to keep their thoughts and feelings mostly to themselves, but still operate flawlessly in a group (in fact I would say the vast majority of introverts do, since we don't live in an isolationist society). A loner is more of a person who rejects society, and that is not an inborn trait of human beings. Human beings are by nature social creatures. Some may be more introverted than others, but that does not mean they reject society. If Kirito is indeed a loner, it means there is something in his life that developed him to reject social interaction.

Here's one from 2009:
Quote:
In this month’s Psychotherapy Networker, Sandmaier explores the lifelong power of one’s temperament. For many years, modern clinicians rejected the idea that one’s temperament was inborn. However, a long-term study by Harvard researcher Jerome Kagan, along with the work of various behavioral molecular geneticists, suggests that our natural inclinations may be hard-wired into our DNA.

Kagan’s study of over 400 children from infancy into young adulthood revealed that roughly half of those who were prone to anxiety, or "high-reactors," shed their early shyness and transformed into extroverted talkers around the age of 15. However, when studied more closely, Kagan found that these seemingly transformed individuals still maintained the same neurological reactions to stress that they exhibited as toddlers. They simply got better at overcompensating for it.

Read more: http://www.utne.com/Science-Technology/In-Nature-Versus-Nurture-Chalk-One-Up-for-Nature.aspx#ixzz259Rlcmjq

Since you are arguing against the assertion that introversion is a personality trait that doesn't require an extensive, tragic back-story without scientific evidence, perhaps you should provide some scientific backing for your opinion of what a "loner" is.

Kirito displays fairly standard introverted personality traits. He does function fine in a group, as is evidenced by his working successfully with a guild for a period of time, until the members got careless and he failed to speak up and tell them they were doing so. He also worked well with the hunting group in episode 2.

It is also possible that, from the very start, he grasped the nature of the danger facing all of them and doesn't want to have other people's deaths on his conscience. I would say that episodes 2 and 3 suggest that and thoroughly reinforced that line of thought in Kirito's character. Maybe it has nothing to do with his past, but just with what we have seen and his knowledge of the game's dangers from beta testing?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I would like to point out that I am far from Kawahara Reki's biggest fan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8