• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America Adds Durarara!! Anime with Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muramase

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And guess what? Probabilities are this will go to Bandai's store.

Would the fact that the Gurren Lagann movies were sub-only, and Durarara!! will be sub and dub, change that probability....?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
Two words for AniplexUSA. BOXED SETS! I am not going to pay $150 for something I can see for free LEGALLY on Chrunchyroll.

Ditto.

Go the FUNi route, Aniplex. I beseech thee. I want to own this series so bad.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Yes i shall buy this series! It's so far away though >.< They'll probably release it in parts, I want the whole season for 1 price! D': I probably will have to wait even longer for a full season release. I have a feeling that the prices won't be too pretty ._.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Muramase wrote:
Quote:

Would the fact that the Gurren Lagann movies were sub-only, and Durarara!! will be sub and dub, change that probability....?

Possibly, but probably not. From what has been said on ANNCast and elsewhere, it seems pretty clear that one of the main reasons (if not the only reason) that Aniplex is releasing via the Bandai Store rather than at places like Right Stuf, Amazon, or the Anime Corner Store, is because they want higher profits per unit sold. Apparently, there's a system for how much of MSRP the retailer normally pays the distributor which is based on assumptions about cost which hold for brick and mortar stores but not online ones. The result is that online stores are able to slash the prices even further, and companies like Aniplex see that as lost profit. If they themselves can sell the item, they can sell it for a higher price than they're selling it to places like Right Stuf and still sell it for less than MSRP, increasing their profit.

The whole point of selling through the Bandai Store is to increase their profit. Selling through normal retailers negates that. So, unless they try and come up with some deal with some set of stores (like Bandai did with Right Stuf for Kannagi) where that deal doesn't reduce their profits per unit (and therfore we'd still be stuck with higher prices), they're likely to continue to just sell through the Bandai Store. Probably the only thing that will really change what they're doing is if they don't sell enough units that way and are forced to change their strategy in order to be profitable.

I suppose that it is conceivable that we'll get lucky and they'll release Durarara in a more normal manner, but it's unlikely.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
If you want to point out a specific individual who is acting as you describe, then by all means call him out on this.

Here's one of them. Hope that's satisfactory enough.

Quote:
I think it's fantastic that they're dubbing it but I'm always wary of a Japanese company dubbing a series. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to just put it in the hands of a competent company and not interfere. The pricing scheme is pushing it a bit but three sets isn't horrible. So long as they don't go and distribute it only through Bandai's store anyway.

Wow, no wonder you think everyone is constantly making excuses. You apparently see 'excuses' were none exist. Nowhere in that post does it say I won't buy it. I'm not even talking about what I'll do. I was saying it would be a catastrophically bad idea for them to spend the money dubbing and then release it through such a limited distributor. That's not even peripherally related to what you're talking about.

Now if you want I'll tell you what would and wouldn't prevent me from buying a series:

No dub often would. If it's something I really like then maybe not but if I just want to see it then yeah. Price wouldn't. A higher price might cause me to wait a while for a good deal but I think that's my right. A mediocre dub wouldn't. Poor packaging wouldn't. I'd absolutely never refuse to buy something just because I didn't like the company.

Admittedly, a limited distributor might. I'd like to still get it but it depends. If they won't ship to Canada then I have no choice in the matter. If they always charge MRSP then I have no chance to bargain hunt to save money. Nor can I get free shipping. So yeah. Selling only from the Bandai store is definitely difficult.

Overall, I think that's pretty reasonable. There's one probably not and one possibly not out of that whole list and that's it. Also I'm telling you straight what I would and wouldn't buy. No changing standard.

Of course, come to think of it, all this seems moot in regards to Durarara. If I didn't buy it I'd just watch it legally on Crunchyroll and that being the case, I'm under no obligation to buy it and my reasons for doing so or not are really none of your bloody business. So basically, Durarara is a non-issue and the whole single distributor thing doesn't apply to other titles I'm interested in. That means that pretty much the only thing that might prevent me from buying a series I should is no dub. One single thing. So try again.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Thunderbird- wrote:
Two words for AniplexUSA. BOXED SETS! I am not going to pay $150 for something I can see for free LEGALLY on Chrunchyroll.

Ditto.

+1 this. definitely. I have no problems using the Bandai store (and all the better for them if it makes more financial sense i.e. comparing wholesale prices, distribution costs, and production runs), but singles or 'quasi' singles would be the only thing preventing me from buying.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
And I'm the exact opposite.

I may pick up the first DRRR!! set, because the whole "find Celty's head" part of the story was actually somewhat okay. But once it got into the second half, it slowed down to near molasses pace.

Whereas Baccano was always fast-paced and there was always something interesting going on, even if you didn't understand it until the middle of the series.

I'd love to see a postmortem for Durarara. The way they took 20+ episodes to tell only three volumes out of seven (or is it more by now?) of Durarara was unfortunate. A lot of the epic stuff happens in the shadow of the three way struggle in Ikebukuro, but now we may never get to see it animated because of how the second half of the TV show turned off some viewers (in the US anyway, I have no idea how the second half was received in Japan).

If any show needs a part two, it is Durarara. So many shows get second seasons even though they have nothing left to say or do, but Durarara still has a wealth of material (in the novels) to explore.

I want to see the Orihara sisters animated darnit!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
Supposedly they'll be in the DVD special since we already know who will be voicing them.

Also, please tell me, if you've read the books: spoiler[Does someone in the series die? Please? I mean, I just cannot take a series like this seriously if everyone is super strong but never dies. Like Shizuo getting shot three times and bleeding all over the place but acting like nothing happened. It just makes me think that the characters are running around with God Mode on, so I really don't care.]
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Supposedly they'll be in the DVD special since we already know who will be voicing them.

Also, please tell me, if you've read the books: spoiler[Does someone in the series die? Please? I mean, I just cannot take a series like this seriously if everyone is super strong but never dies. Like Shizuo getting shot three times and bleeding all over the place but acting like nothing happened. It just makes me think that the characters are running around with God Mode on, so I really don't care.]

spoiler[ The novels are all partially translated and can be found via google (I'd direct link but I don't know if that would be allowed. One group did book one and two, and someone did extensive summaries of the rest on their live journal page).

The special makes me think we won't be getting a season 2. Hopefully it will be long enough to cover at least some of the interesting stuff that happens in the later books.

To answer your question though; No. No one dies. People get stabbed, thrown hundreds of feet by Shizuo, knocked so hard in the face by simon that they fly across a street and hit a sign, etc, and still no one dies. I almost sort of prefer that to the Gurren Lagann model though.]
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
In light of these news, I just had marathon and watched all 24 HD episodes. Can't wait for the DVD specials.
skyechan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Glee!!! Very Happy I'll finally see this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Thunderbird- wrote:

Ditto.

+1 this. definitely. I have no problems using the Bandai store (and all the better for them if it makes more financial sense i.e. comparing wholesale prices, distribution costs, and production runs), but singles or 'quasi' singles would be the only thing preventing me from buying.

If "quasi-singles" are double disks with 8-9 episodes, "quasi-singles" are exactly what they announced. If they use the sale at the Bandai store to get the price point right for that release model, I'd guess $20~$25, great ... but of course, they won't.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Well I'll certainly be getting this in January. Thank goodness a dub was included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
A dub cast that I'm guessing before they announce it next month at Otakon:

Mikado Ryugamine: Yuri Lowenthal
Masaomi Kida: Greg Cipes
Anri Sonohara: Stephanie Sheh
Izaya Orihara: Johnny Yong Bosch
Shizuo Heiwajima: Kirk Thornton
Simon Brezhnev: Jamieson Price
Tom Tanaka: Steve Blum
Celty Sturluson: Kari Wahlgren
Erika Karisawa: Lara Jill Miller
Walker Yumasaki: Derek Stephen Prince
Kyohei Kadota: Brian Donovan
Shinra Kishitani: Dave Wittenberg or Vic Mignogna
Namie Yagiri: Karen Strassman
Seiji Yagiri: Crispin Freeman
Saburo Togusa: Grant George

Keep this in mind when they are going to announce it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7