• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Tales of the Abyss, Turn A Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
but still wondering why they would license a series that is 10 years old that many people may have already lost interests in it.

Yeah, because age means everything... Even though most of the fan response towards Turn-A's license has been very positive.

Please, getting older animes still licensed in this industry is a good thing, as it shows that companies are still willing to license things not necessarily for it to be the "next big thing", but rather license it because they know that people are still willing to buy them. In fact, these past couple of years have been really good for animes/franchises that have some age to them; who would have guessed that be getting more 90s Gundam, re-licenses for the Fist of the North Star movie and TV series, Golgo 13 TV, a license rescue for Crying Freeman & Sea Prince & the Fire Child, etc. nowadays?
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Also like the idea of licensing older works. What's old to many can still be new to many people who haven't seen the show. Especially good for those who won't let "oldness" get in the way of enjoying a work or perhaps can even make new fans out of it. Like to see such a thing to continue in the future.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Also like the idea of licensing older works. What's old to many can still be new to many people who haven't seen the show. Especially good for those who won't let "oldness" get in the way of enjoying a work or perhaps can even make new fans out of it. Like to see such a thing to continue in the future.

Yeah. I would much rather see an old masterpiece then a new piece of crap.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
but still wondering why they would license a series that is 10 years old that many people may have already lost interests in it.

Yeah, because age means everything... Even though most of the fan response towards Turn-A's license has been very positive.

Please, getting older animes still licensed in this industry is a good thing, as it shows that companies are still willing to license things not necessarily for it to be the "next big thing", but rather license it because they know that people are still willing to buy them. In fact, these past couple of years have been really good for animes/franchises that have some age to them; who would have guessed that be getting more 90s Gundam, re-licenses for the Fist of the North Star movie and TV series, Golgo 13 TV, a license rescue for Crying Freeman & Sea Prince & the Fire Child, etc. nowadays?

Well, you do made a few valid arguments. But I still prefer Bandai going back to their sub-only releases and re-release them with a dub, providing if DVD sales does well enough (Hayate the Combat Butler!, sola, and Kannagi).

I know there are many good classical shows to license. I still hoping that Doraemon anime and the films may eventually get a North American release with a dub despite the series being 30 something years old.
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Has Bandai ever used NYAV Post for any of their series? It's usually Media Blaster, and 4Kids that use New York VAs.

Gundam Unicorn's dub is by NYAV. And I think that so far it's the best dub a Gundam anime has received.

Gundam 0083 would like to have a word with you. That > All Gundam dubs.

Cima <3

Surely you jest. Gundam 0083's dub is almost as bad as the show itself. Kou, Nina, and tons of others are just painful to listen to with their terrible voices and wooden deliveries. With the exception of a few voices, the 0083 dub is a disaster. Unicorn's dub absolutely blows it away.

Kou and Nina aren't great characters and are basically written to be annoying, but Paul Stephen and Dorothy Fahn were fine in their roles. My favorite VA outta that whole show is Jim Taggert as Chuck Keith. Brings a lot of life to an already boisterous character.
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Well, you do made a few valid arguments. But I still prefer Bandai going back to their sub-only releases and re-release them with a dub, providing if DVD sales does well enough (Hayate the Combat Butler!, sola, and Kannagi).

I know there are many good classical shows to license. I still hoping that Doraemon anime and the films may eventually get a North American release with a dub despite the series being 30 something years old.

I'm really leery of the whole "let's go back and add a dub after the fact" thing that ADV's started. Now anytime they announce something subbed, I'm always left wondering whether or not I should hold off and wait for a possible dub down the road. I'd rather not see Bandai start doing this too.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Well, if it does get an Ocean dub, I hope they do a better job than they did with Gundam 00. What a horrible, horrible dub that was.
I'd be more than happy to see a dub half as good as Gundam 00's.

Most are twice as good.

Gundam 00's English dub is a case of having a cast of very talented voice actors that are either miscast, phone it in, or in some cases, both.

I spent the whole time wondering when great VAs like Brad Swaile and Paul Dobson were going to start being their usual awesome selves again. It never came. Somebody should inform Swaile that just because he was amazing in Death Note doesn't mean he gets to slack off from now on.

Well for all of Ocean Group VA's, like I said from my earlier posts. They need to expand their horizon and careers, Mr. Swaile who doing Directing career maybe wanting focus on his voice work that led him becoming a intermediate star, now he has rise up the ranks and make things happens for his life. Including others like Kirby Morrow who did one role from Digimon as Ken's big brother, he should do alot for his career. Kelly Sheridan great vocal range and excessive talent, she could be a rising star sooner than later. The Dobson brothers and Scott Mcneil who have great skills and positive strengths that they could use in their talent more often. Plus many from Bluewater, (yes they could still do better and dark horses in a couple of years.) Mariette Sluyter, Carol Ann Daye (My favorite VA for the future, who could be the next Johnny Yong Bosch in my book.) Cheryl McMaster, Morgan Partridge (Rising star talent.) Exceptionally these people have real talent in voice and live action acting as well. I just hope in years to come, they will expand their business in make positive outlook in their lives and that time is now.

Last edited by BlackJaded on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Gundam Unicorn's dub is by NYAV. And I think that so far it's the best dub a Gundam anime has received.

Gundam 0083 would like to have a word with you. That > All Gundam dubs.

Cima <3

0083's dub is wonderful, but 0080's is decent too.

No, 08th MS Squad had the best dub of the entire franchise.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
hmm an 11yrs old anime aka turn a gundam for an 2000s & 2010s era anime fans will it worked well?

& why i'm predict that Chantal Strand will voice MAIN LEADS female role in turn a?

cause i'm seeing that IF they have Chantal Strand in it my guess will be dianna/kihel roles.

give the way she sounded ever since the Lacus days really she got MAIN leads level voice range & would fit excellently in it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
I remember when everybody was making fun of the mustaches. Laughing
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I've always been interested in Turn A. I can't imagine this is a very financially sound move, but good for the hardcore fans anyway.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Awesome, I've always been interested in Turn A. I can't imagine this is a very financially sound move, but good for the hardcore fans anyway.

The marketers of Bandai seem to believe that their studies show Turn A Gundam is high in demand for a dub and popular enough to be profitable. I for one am buying the series once it comes out on DVD (so long as it has a dub)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gundam Wing IS the real Gundam series, it's like the Sean Connery of Gundam even though it wasn't the first.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
If you've heard those voices for 100+ hours, it's hard to switch to Japanese.

Speak for yourself. I myself put in well over 200 hours into Abyss (144 for the first playthrough, over 80 for the second), and I had no problems watching the anime. In fact, after watching the anime, I have to play the game muted because the English voices just don't compare to the Japanese ones (although I wish the anime had Ion's original Japanese voice, as she's one of my favorite seiyuu). Neither my roommate nor my boyfriend, nor anyone else I've spoken to have had problems with it in Japanese.

You have Sho Hayami (Aizen/Bleach, Tenzen/Basilisk) as Lorelei, Yasunori Matsumoto (Gourry/Slayers. No other credit necessary for the adventurer type anime. It's Gourry) as Guy Cecil, & Jouji Nakata (Alucard/Hellsing, Giroro/Sgt Frog, Folken/Escaflowne, Diethard/Code Geass) as Van Grants. Tamaria, the Japanese cast has done more than its share of this type of work.

Quote:
I bet Kirk Thornton is one of the reasons why Jade is so popular among fans of the game.

Kirk Thornton was decent (not one of his best roles, though), but he doesn't hold a candle to Koyasu, who seems to have been born to play that type of role.[/quote]

Koyasu has been in the #1 spot over on this site's Most Prolific Cast since 2006 (I got that date from IMDb because since he took that spot, he has not been out of it.) He is damned good at what he does. What I love is he makes it seem so natural, as if it IS the character reacting & speaking, not an actor playing a role. As usual, I have been interested in this title because Koyasu is iun it because he does play certain types of roles & he does bring a certain skill to a title. (If he's in it, I check out the rest of the cast, the crew, what it's about & decide if I want it. I can't imagine Koyasu is cheap, so if the company is willing to pay for him & also some other veterans who presumably cost a bit more than newbs/unknowns, it says to me the company is willing to invest some money into making this a quality product. A cast of unknowns suggests the company is cutting corners so it might be a shoddy production)
Granted, there is also the "hire one or 2 name brands & cut corners everywhere else" so that's what checking out the staff as well as the company making it comes in.
The English cast is icing on the cake. They can make an enjoyable dub that makes the anime easier to watch rather than reading the dialogue on screen, but if it reeks, there is still the Japanese cast to fall back on. Too often the English dub seems more a matter of "which role will we give to which of our 20 usual voice actors?"

Ken Iyadomi commented on reverse importation-I remembered he named the cost on Amazon of various titles & how they hope Japanese are reverse importing, but this is likely a reason they are hesitant to put stuff out here & why we see a 10 yr old title being released.
10 yrs? Excuse me, but the audience was asking for First Gundam & another. The speaker commented how we give you Turn A & you want more? At CCI about 5 yrs back I remember someone asking for the extra SD Gundams that had been made throughout the years & not the dub-only title they were releasing of chibi Gundams, I remember Ken Iyadomi asking the audience if we wanted it & there was a sizable applause so he said they'd look into it (& obviously forgot all about it. I remembered that when he said that same "look into it" bit at this panel over something)
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
So Turn A's finally coming over... I hope its as good as all the hype surrounding it. I've never seen it, is it a stand alone or do you have to watch the UC series?
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Gundam Wing IS the real Gundam series, it's like the Sean Connery of Gundam even though it wasn't the first.
Nope. Gundam Wing isn't quite the worst, but it's certainly down there. Even just the first episode of the new Gundam Unicorn was much better than the entirety of Gundam Wing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8