• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kanye West Makes Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well, maybe we could use a good ghetto based "comic" once in a while.
oe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
How about we stay on topic and not start crying "racism!" at everything under the sun, shall we? It's never settled an argument, and it's never stayed civil. I will not allow this thread to degenerate into flaming and name-calling (oe, that last comment came a little close).

Kanye West. Manga. Manga-styled comic books. Stray from these topics and this thread gets the lock. Got it? I hope you do.

Yeah, I guess it was a little mean, but I used proper grammar...

Anyway, I saw about 2 songs worth of the previously mentioned craptastic R. Kelly hip-hopera Trapped in the Closet and was absolutely amazed. I thought he was spoofing himself, at first. Did that actually sell? Who was he marketing that to? I would guess black women ages 30-40, because I think that is his primary audience. Maybe gay black men too, a much smaller market. I can't possibly imagine that anyone other than R. Kelly fans and stand-up comics bought that DVD. Kanye West, on the other hand, is probably targeting this to fans of his music that might not be manga fans, and manga/comic fans who might only have a passing familiarity with his music. This is a big, big audience. I think his choice of the word "manga" rather than "comic" was probably intentional as well, as I feel that "comic-book" has more of a juvenile meaning to most of America, while "manga" is simply exotic, or tinged with sex and violence, to people who don't read it or have only a vague (mis)understanding of it as Japanese comics for adults. This would include most of Time magazine's readership, and align more strongly with the image Kanye tries to project. That's my take, at least.
Raja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
For whatever it's worth, I hear the full term "animation" about as much as the word "anime" on TV these days. Often the word "anime" is used in conjunction with TV, thus "terebi-anime." However, I have a question:
Grimmstone wrote:
Actually, all mangs are referred to as "manga" in Japan and all anime is referred to as "anime".
..."Mangs?" When did people in the west start referring to manga as "mangs"? I've never heard that before.

Maybe I've been here too long...
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Raja wrote:
For whatever it's worth, I hear the full term "animation" about as much as the word "anime" on TV these days. Often the word "anime" is used in conjunction with TV, thus "terebi-anime." However, I have a question:
Grimmstone wrote:
Actually, all mangs are referred to as "manga" in Japan and all anime is referred to as "anime".
..."Mangs?" When did people in the west start referring to manga as "mangs"? I've never heard that before.

I'm going to assume it was a typo on the author's part (considering the a is next to the s).
I've never heard "mangs" used either. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Grimmstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
SuperOnizuka wrote:
Seems like West brings ire to whatever he is up to. On the RHCP board when the band wanted him for an opening act for them, some of the members were crying blood mary when he was asked, regardless of the fact that the peppers had other hip hop artists open for them AND that they were heavily influenced by funk, hip hop, punk, and blues.

Well, that's because Kayne is an a-hole. However, that's beside the point.

Godaistudios wrote:
Raja wrote:
Grimmstone wrote:

I'm going to assume it was a typo on the author's part (considering the a is next to the s).
I've never heard "mangs" used either. Confused

Perhaps I meant to spell it that way and it's my own personal catchword for it.

fighterholic wrote:
Well, maybe we could use a good ghetto based "comic" once in a while.

Any reason why you assume it's "ghetto"? Actually, we already know why, but we just want to hear your excuse. Rolling Eyes
ponlork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
It's true that the Japanese also use the term "animeshon" (アニメーション) to describe cartoons but more times than not I hear "anime" (アニメ) more which is Anime-shon for short. I've visited Tokyo, Utsunomiya and Kyoto, I watch a lot of Japanese TV and browse thru a lot of Japanese websites, and I use Japanese p2p apps such as Winny and Share and they use アニメ to categorize searches. I also bid on Yahoo Japan Auctions daily and there's no doubt in my mind that they use anime much more TV shows and in magazines. You can do a Yahoo Japan search for "アニメーション" and you'll get 10,700,000 results, but do a search for "アニメ" and you'll get 164,000,000 results so I dunno you tell me

Last edited by ponlork on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bemman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
It sounds interesting, but having seen some of Plympton's art, I'm pretty sure it won't look like the typical manga Confused

Anyways, thinking about the debate on rap, this is nowhere near as explosive as the atmosphere over at RateYourMusic's board a couple of months ago. It looked like a flame war was about to erupt over the issue.... Sad

Oh btw - Hello!
Grimmstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
How about we stay on topic and not start crying "racism!" at everything under the sun, shall we? It's never settled an argument, and it's never stayed civil.

Well, with the reasons some people are giving to dislike something, sight-unseen, it has to be questioned at some point that it has to do with a fundemental difference in appearance.

While it is true that "racism" does get cried too much that it becomes like the boy that cried wolf, ignorance due to sickness of the subject allows some thinly veiled and truly sickening opinions to seep through.

And lets face it, this isn't "Attention Deficit Disorder" in reverse, where ADD didn't exist until a name was given to it. Racism is something that just won't disappear if people are barred from thinking it. Doing that just allows the thinly veiled comments that operate in the shadow zone outside and in between good taste and blatant racism to propogate.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
All the same, this isn't the Society's Ills News Network and I don't want a flame war to break out, which, if the term "racism" gets thrown back and forth enough, WILL happen. This is the internet, after all, and the human capacity for reasoning and intelligence often dips into the negative numbers in this crazy, bizarro realm, rendering civil discussion of sensitive issues nigh impossible (especially when half the regular userbase can't even think enough to form a valid sentence fragment). So for the time being, do please avoid discussing it; save the "tough issues" for somewhere that can actually handle them in a mature fashion. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bemman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
All the same, this isn't the Society's Ills News Network and I don't want a flame war to break out, which, if the term "racism" gets thrown back and forth enough, WILL happen. This is the internet, after all, and the human capacity for reasoning and intelligence often dips into the negative numbers in this crazy, bizarro realm, rendering civil discussion of sensitive issues nigh impossible (especially when half the regular userbase can't even think enough to form a valid sentence fragment). So for the time being, do please avoid discussing it; save the "tough issues" for somewhere that can actually handle them in a mature fashion. Wink

I wonder why it's like that? I never figured out why there is so much hostility on the net Sad
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
oe wrote:
Anyway, I saw about 2 songs worth of the previously mentioned craptastic R. Kelly hip-hopera Trapped in the Closet and was absolutely amazed. I thought he was spoofing himself, at first. Did that actually sell? Who was he marketing that to? I would guess black women ages 30-40, because I think that is his primary audience. Maybe gay black men too, a much smaller market. I can't possibly imagine that anyone other than R. Kelly fans and stand-up comics bought that DVD.

As much as it horrifies me to admit it, I actually kind of liked the Trapped in the Closet series. It was always interesting to see what he'd throw at you next. I never knew he released it on DVD though.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Bemman wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

I wonder why it's like that? I never figured out why there is so much hostility on the net Sad

There's that much hostility everywhere. But you just might not run in to it as much depending on where you live. The internet lets you get a full blast of all kinds of ignorant people all over the world. There's also the fact that no one knows who you are on the internet, and as such you can feel free to insult whoever you want without fearing any sort of reprisal.
Grimmstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

So, on that note, when there is a message that could touch off the "R" word where the poster is intentionally using that aforementioned shadow zone ala David Duke and Ann Coulter, could you please eradicate their posts? Just to nip it in the bud.
ponlork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
We living in a Hateration okina~mean? As much as I hate using that term there's just too much hatred around the world. I'm from E/S L.B.C around L.A. Compton watts Ingle-dub O.O.D.C and west south central and let me tell ya, people can't get along for shit. we got all these different races and ethnicities yet everybody is segregated to different parts of the city. I wish I can say that everybody's equally the same and 1.luv peace and unity yada yada but around my hood you can't just willingly walk into someone's location or 'turf' without a pass and not expect to get sweated on or catching a beat down. That's just the harsh reality of it, although it's not as bad as it was 10 years ago there's still a lot of friction mainly between blacks and browns.

You know growing up I used to think it was normal and standard procedure to get asked which gang I'm from, seeing race wars riots and gangs flaunting their colors and stuff but once I got out of L.A I'm like damn I can just walk around without being sneaky and watch mothafuccaz tryna creep on me? It must be just where I'm from

Now we got a new generation of haters, thanks to the advent of computers and the internet people can just go online and openly express their hatred on people freely behind the comfort of their PC screen.

"I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
We under I wonder what it takes to make this
one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
and the only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
We gotta start makin' changes
learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers" -2Pac

Last edited by ponlork on Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
FuuH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with a manga being made if someone wants to create their own manga/comic. That's great - if they can do it, then they're very fortunate to have that power or oppurtunity.

I have a different problem with Kanye West's manga. I feel as though it's just extending this arm he has coming out of his conscience, his ego. I can't stand this man. I have abolutely nothing against the music, because it's great music. But honestly, I cannot stand the audacity he has. I heard someone say here earlier that he once said he thought of himself more as a businessman than a musician. I can only agree with that. I think Kanye West is just very hungry for money. He has grabbed onto a popular medium and garnered a lot of money, and with his success, his ego has grown.

The reason I feel this way now is due to the Heard 'Em Say video. I am a huge fan of the original video, being a huge Michel Gondry fan. I felt is was an incredible video. However Kanye West tossed the video aside because he felt it was too sappy and wouldn't get him enough record sales the way Gold Digger did. He tosses aside amazing artwork for the sake of record sales. He had the artist who is doing this manga now animate him a video within a day that would be more attactive to his fans and potential customers.

Forgive me, any rap/hip-hip fans, who may think my views are a bit askewed. I know I probably don't understand it all. However, that lack of knowledge doesn't mean I can't have a judgement on his presentation. He comes off as someone who is very full of himself. This idea for a manga just seems, to me, another outlet to make himself for accessible to sales, and to a bigger fanbase that will feed his ego.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8