• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Craft Works (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Because if multiple girls are in a show it must obviously be a harem, even if only one of the girls has any romantic interest in the male protagonist. HaruhiToy and others were guilty of this line of thinking just earlier in this thread. I guess it's just a reflex now to label something a harem based on low information.

I went back to look at all my posts to see where I said anything like that. I didn't.

What I did write it is that it seems inevitable that one or more (probably all) of the clownish "bad guy" witches to develop some sort of feelings for Takamiya. It is too soon to see if that prediction comes true or not but I am less certain of it than before. However they do have a written-in obsession for Takamiya and that will be the foundation.

If you did have to label this a harem at this point, it would be Kagari that would be the lead, not Takamiya. What foils that view is that all the admirers are background characters, not major or minor characters.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
What I did write it is that it seems inevitable that one or more (probably all) of the clownish "bad guy" witches to develop some sort of feelings for Takamiya. It is too soon to see if that prediction comes true or not but I am less certain of it than before.

I guess they're spoiler["part o' de family" now, so who knows. Maybe it'll actually happen]. IMO it'd feel really pointless, but I've seen shows do dumber things.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Kagari sure was clueless even though she's so unbelievably smart.
Guess this was an insight into her first days at school.
As time passed she became more and more popular.
She also kept on looking for him.
If only she'd known he'd come to her some day.
Their house sure became crowded recently LOL
Takamiya as student council president = serious problems.
Fun episode ^^"]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Kagari was so cute as a middle schooler. I liked how the 5 lovable losers appeared in random scenes in the flashback.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Idk, to me she seems to be cute but also a bit lifeless at times with the way she behaves around others. The episode was not bad though. I liked it for the humor part of it. Looks like thespoiler[ house is more lively now with some of the witches moving in!]

Those spoiler[delinquents] picked the wrong fight at school...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I could not help but notice the strange events that seem to be happening in the world that no one seems to take notice. But when they mentioned the bit about normal people not noticing the witches in robes, than it makes sense that many strange things are just invisible to normal people, like how all the rabbit robot things are wearing robes too. There also seems to have been multiple people with cat ears as I noticed a few with different hair colours. Their world might already be so weird that a couple things don't get a second glance, but it is a little hard to measure. There was a tank in their school.

With other shows being pretty nuts I am not having too much trouble at seeing the school suddenly turn into the state it did. Bear killer seems to spoiler[be a witch based on that she could see the other witches, Kagari could hit her despite the apparent rules she can't harm normal people], and she now has a part in the ED. The ED has actually become quite crowded, I don't even remember that giant bird. And what is up with Kagari's friends, apparently both have spoiler[stolen her underwear or something and she keeps them around]. Although she did have that nurse scene, she is so robotic usually that it tends to be hard to spot her tells.

Not sure if I have said this yet, but I think that this and Golden Time together have made for one of my favourite release times from J.C. Staff, a rare case of both being good. I think that it may be that both are a little surprising. Golden Time has managed to avoid some clichés one would expect, and actually be rather mature. And Witch Craft Works has avoided becoming a harem, feeling of gender reversal or originally planned as yuri series in question. Although I have enjoyed the comedy in both and I feel a little spoiled.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was the first eppie that disappointed me. First, a good chunk of it is taken up with a sort of pointless flashback and then the actual plot was kind of a chaotic not terribly funny mess, imo. Oh well, they can't all be gems, I guess.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
this show doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I honestly don't care. its fun to watch, and ep 8 did not disappoint
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Honoka's familiar, spoiler[a giant ice Kagari in a nurse outfit]. Seems legit. He really must have liked what his mother spoiler[lent her to wear].

She also seemed to start the spoiler[combat training] because she was kind of spoiler[annoyed that he was spending so much time with his sister]. She seemed a little aggressive to him.

New villain, Weekend, has a lizard spoiler[on her shoulder in what appears to be winter clothes with the fluffy white stuff]. For some reason that feels hilarious, there are some really interesting designs in this show for witches. And the poor Medusa's girls, they continue to fall, but entertainingly so.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

I think that spoiler[new girl, Weekend I believe is going to be a tough antagonist to beat, likely harder than Medusa. The magic training was kinda meh imo besides the giant nurse outfit statue with Kagari.] The witches in the background are amusing though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Kagari teaching Takamiya magic again.
He is totally useless...
It's nice to see he has the willpower to learn though.
Seems like trouble is piling up slowly.
It's about time this got more intense.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
So that is how there is never any human casualties when those gigantic bears and stuff kept destroying the city.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
So that is how there is never any human casualties when those gigantic bears and stuff kept destroying the city.

Welcome to your very first anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Gee, I dunno ... if you want to spoiler[hide somebody away from your enemies until you get your magic back, you *may* not want to choose a room that has an enormous metal grate in the ceiling.] Jes' sayin'.

When are the Five Klueless Klutzes gonna get their own show?
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

They need to spoiler[watch out for that new girl tbh. I got a feeling she's a lot more dangerous than meets the eye. Oh well, at least Takamura gets more magic training..]

A giant spoiler[Kagari statue] though?! Didn't see that coming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9