• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill Episodes 13-24 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder if everyone's opinion would be the same if everything in this show was the same except for having all the character's gender flipped! Razz
Ranho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I think the worst thing about this show is the rabid fan you come across every now and then.

They're so averse to criticism of their beloved show that they go as far as to pass lame defenses of the show as fact.

"You''re watching it wrong" though. THAT one is a doozie.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
@Rahxephon91

The point is, you keep saying that as long as a show does exactly what it is intending to do, nothing else matters. No critical standards of any type can be applied to it, no generally accepted norms can be used to criticize it, story won't matter, having well constructed characters won't matter, having the writing be consistent or the art/animation be technically good doesn't matter. Nothing will matter and nothing can be criticized in any way, as long as it does exactly what it is intending to do. That is your position, and it is ridiculous.
No, what I'm saying is as long as a show sets out to do what it does and it does it well then the show is good. Kill La Kill sets out to be an over the top action show and it pretty much achieves it at every angle. The story is consistently over the top and ridiculous making it fun to see where it goes. The characters are simple, but have something that makes them memorable and fun to watch. i could care less if they aren't these deep characters that are nuanced. One of them has a BDSM power up which is hilarious and only adds to the insanity of the show. The direction and style is so amazing and never lets up that the show is never boring.

You clearly don't get anything that's been said. I never said the show can't looked at critically. It's just these "oh the story is bad" are shitty critical looks. You're ignoring pretty much everything else about the show and it's intentions for this shallow idea of what makes a good story. A good "story" is simply not is it this made up idea of "smart". A good story is does it actually work with the tone and atmosphere Kill la Kill is going for. It certainly does in Kill La Kill's case, because the story of Kill La Kill works completely in service with the batshit crazyness the show is striving for. All this talk about characters being one note and the story not making sense don't get that.

Of course the characters are one note. Of course the story dosen't make much sense. It's ludicrous and stupid. It's premise makes no sense. Who cares? If you do, then no Kill La Kill was not a show for you. You can't get lost in and enjoy ridiculousness like that. That's great. It sure sets up a world where Kill La Kill can happen and it's characters can inhabit and that's really what it needs to do.

Where poop example dosen't work, because it ignores what I've said completely.

The characters aren't well constructed? How? Lacking depth dosen't mean they are'nt well constructed. This is'nt a show where you watch a character really mature and change. The characters are well constructed because pretty much everything about them builds the personalty they are supposed to exhibit. Then they do it with such style that I can't help be entertained when they are on screen.

The art is amazing in Kill La Kill. The visual design is great. The directing is well also great. Cheap technical animation. Sure. it's good when it needs to be and the show seems to also employ it's cheap tricks with glee. Which is something I hardly see done in anime and so Kill La Kill gets a pass by me.

The fact is Kill La Kill does it's thing great. If you want to argue that the story about evil fashion companies is lousy then be my guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying the irony of ChibiKangaroo talking down Kill la Kill for not being intellectual enough while also defending Daybreak Illusion//Wixoss as not a Madoka ripoffs in the preview thread. I'll take something visually inventive and fun over something blatantly aping another series and trying to be edgy any day.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dude, that last line "You don't get it" sums you up all nice like.
So if I come to a fighting anime expecting Shakespere am I coming to it correctly? Am I in the right mindset. Do you actually understand what I said when I said "you're not watching it correctly/with the right mindset?

Quote:
YOU are the one sitting on a high horse here.
Nope.

Quote:
YOU are the one who's standards are on display here NOT the people who think Kill la Kill's story left much to be desired.
Nope.

Quote:

If we aren't supposed to judge Kill la Kill's story then it shouldn't have been released in story form at all but as a set of still images.
This is stupid. I said you aren't supposed to expect some great story from Kill La Kill, because the story is'nt trying to do that. The story is only working in service with the hyper activity. If you don't like it or it dosen't work for you then fine. Thats ok. The story of Kill La Kill mostly does it's job though. The problem I have with is people approaching it with the air of "it's not smart. It lacks depth". Of course it is stupid. You're right. You don't seem to actually understand that I have no problem with people not liking it. I have a problem with people trying to analyze it in a way where they don't seem to get that yes it's stupid and that's why it's awesome and fun. This all started with posts that sounded like "I'm too smart to enjoy something so dumb".

If thats you're thought process then fine. Don;t watch the show.

Quote:
Even THEN people would still look for meaning from the still images and guess what, if very shallow meaning was found or no meaning was found at all there'd be criticism.
I guess people also want to find meaning into thier martial arts movies. wait they don't. They watch martial arts movies for the action and hope the story facilitates the action well enough.

Quote:
There is the technical side to anime (art, music, composition, voice work etc) and there is the narrative side.
ok.....

Quote:
To disregard one side when appraising a work in this form is not only impossible but stupid to suggest.
Hmm, no this is stupid and I have to question if you've been an anime fan for long.

Because watching anime is all about watching things that may be well animated, have cool action scenes, have a cool look to it, but may have a stupid ass story. They could still be enjoyable though. I like the X movie because it looks so cool. The story is terrible.

The difference here is that Kill la Kill knows the story is stupid and it uses that to it's advantage.

Quote:
Kill la Kill's narrative side was piss poor regardless of whatever the show made itself out to be in the beginning.
Or it allowed for exciting and crazy worlds, scenarios, and characters. Take your pick.

Quote:
You know, High School of the Dead, Sora no Otoshimono and all that other good stuff you turn to when you just want to laugh at stupidity.
High School of the Dead. Perfect example.

There it's story is beyond dumb, to the point it makes no sense for anything to happen. It's characters so bad that they are almost disgusting.

Yet it's so over the top and campy that I can just ignore that.

But Kill La Kill is better because I like the characters. They are cool and don't offend me. There's a lot of style in the art design, world design, and direction. It's on a whole other level then HoTD. There actually feels like there's passion and thought in Kill La Kill just from the way they direct scenes. How they craft the characters.

HoTD just feels like campy trash thats fun because it goes there and has no problem being tasteless. There's no real talent behind it.

Thats what makes Kill La Kill a whole lot better.

tuxedocat wrote:
I have to wonder if everyone's opinion would be the same if everything in this show was the same except for having all the character's gender flipped! Razz
The show would still be great. Maybe have less fanservice, but even then the fanservice in Kill La Kill dosen't feel creepy in the same way other shows do.
Quote:
Rein in that obnoxious passion of yours, makes you look like a hypocrite.
Actually, I haven't been a hypocrite anywhere.

Quote:
I kind of don't think you know what was being said.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Lets say KlK really did set out to be nothing more than stupid over the top action (I still think they didn't, otherwise how do you explain the bunch of later episode were there wasn't any action and they were setting up a plot? And were those episode fun?) that itself keep it from being an amazing show, the best it can achieve is just being a fun show that didn't really bring anything to the medium, nothing wrong with that, but nothing particularly interesting either.

I mean between a crazy over the top action show with crap/generic story or crazy over the top action show with awesome/original story, which one do you want?

Should it be judge differently than other anime? Well no, it takes the same amount of time and money to watch KlK has any other show, so it get judge based on the same criteria. Ultimately the only real criteria that matter is "was it fun" I think the answer is yes (especially the early episode) could it have been more fun, heck yeah!

Oh and why are people complaining that some forum user are criticizing each others and the show? Would you really read forum if all they were like this:

X- I liked It

Y- I didn't liked it

Z- I liked it

Boy would that be boring.
Ranho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, posting on-topic:

an "A" for animation is a bit too generous, though TRIGGER cutting corners is understandable.

This show's music was top notch (the 10th track on the OST being my fave) while the art direction is probably the best I've seen in all anime ever. Whoever had the idea to use water colour style palette and realistic looking textures (cotton-wool smoke clouds in episode 3) deserves a medal.

The story...was awful. See what Rahxephonwhatever's wrote in defense of the story for a reason why.

The characters were good-looking but most were pretty uninteresting and generic personality-wise. Some even acted against characterization (Satsuki, Ryuuko, Souichiro/Isshin who did some pretty dumb, plot-hole creating shit despite being supposedly smart).

Overall, an okay show. Good to pass the time, great to look at and listen to but like most "Turn Your Brain Off" shows you'll be reaching for something a little more engaging once it's over (for me that was Eureka Seven).
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
The show would still be great. Maybe have less fanservice, but even then the fanservice in Kill La Kill dosen't feel creepy in the same way other shows do.

Oh. nonono. all the fanservice would be there. lots of male buttshots, and nice crotch bulges on display. Would you still like it as much then?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Oh. nonono. all the fanservice would be there. lots of male buttshots, and nice crotch bulges on display. Would you still like it as much then?
I don't see why I wouldn't. I didn't watch the show for the fanservice as it is. It already jokes around with male fanservice anyway.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Kill la Kill does have a lot of male buttshots and penises on display though.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Really enjoying the irony of ChibiKangaroo talking down Kill la Kill for not being intellectual enough while also defending Daybreak Illusion//Wixoss as not a Madoka ripoffs in the preview thread. I'll take something visually inventive and fun over something blatantly aping another series and trying to be edgy any day.

Have you even watched Day Break Illusion? I seriously doubt it. I've outlined in detail how it is a completely different show from Madoka and shares some of the most superficial similarities of being a magical girl show that is dark. Beyond that, nearly everything about them is starkly different. Go watch the show please, or at least dispute some of the differences I raised. Otherwise you are just using ignorance as a defense.
Ranho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Quote:
Dude, that last line "You don't get it" sums you up all nice like.
So if I come to a fighting anime expecting Shakespere am I coming to it correctly? Am I in the right mindset. Do you actually understand what I said when I said "you're not watching it correctly/with the right mindset?

Quote:
YOU are the one sitting on a high horse here.
Nope.

Quote:
YOU are the one who's standards are on display here NOT the people who think Kill la Kill's story left much to be desired.
Nope.

Quote:

If we aren't supposed to judge Kill la Kill's story then it shouldn't have been released in story form at all but as a set of still images.
This is stupid. I said you aren't supposed to expect some great story from Kill La Kill, because the story is'nt trying to do that. The story is only working in service with the hyper activity. If you don't like it or it dosen't work for you then fine. Thats ok. The story of Kill La Kill mostly does it's job though. The problem I have with is people approaching it with the air of "it's not smart. It lacks depth". Of course it is stupid. You're right. You don't seem to actually understand that I have no problem with people not liking it. I have a problem with people trying to analyze it in a way where they don't seem to get that yes it's stupid and that's why it's awesome and fun. This all started with posts that sounded like "I'm too smart to enjoy something so dumb".

If thats you're thought process then fine. Don;t watch the show.

Quote:
Even THEN people would still look for meaning from the still images and guess what, if very shallow meaning was found or no meaning was found at all there'd be criticism.
I guess people also want to find meaning into thier martial arts movies. wait they don't. They watch martial arts movies for the action and hope the story facilitates the action well enough.

Quote:
There is the technical side to anime (art, music, composition, voice work etc) and there is the narrative side.
ok.....

Quote:
To disregard one side when appraising a work in this form is not only impossible but stupid to suggest.
Hmm, no this is stupid and I have to question if you've been an anime fan for long.

Because watching anime is all about watching things that may be well animated, have cool action scenes, have a cool look to it, but may have a stupid ass story. They could still be enjoyable though. I like the X movie because it looks so cool. The story is terrible.

The difference here is that Kill la Kill knows the story is stupid and it uses that to it's advantage.

Quote:
Kill la Kill's narrative side was piss poor regardless of whatever the show made itself out to be in the beginning.
Or it allowed for exciting and crazy worlds, scenarios, and characters. Take your pick.

Quote:
You know, High School of the Dead, Sora no Otoshimono and all that other good stuff you turn to when you just want to laugh at stupidity.
High School of the Dead. Perfect example.

There it's story is beyond dumb, to the point it makes no sense for anything to happen. It's characters so bad that they are almost disgusting.

Yet it's so over the top and campy that I can just ignore that.

But Kill La Kill is better because I like the characters. They are cool and don't offend me. There's a lot of style in the art design, world design, and direction. It's on a whole other level then HoTD. There actually feels like there's passion and thought in Kill La Kill just from the way they direct scenes. How they craft the characters.

HoTD just feels like campy trash thats fun because it goes there and has no problem being tasteless. There's no real talent behind it.

Thats what makes Kill La Kill a whole lot better.

tuxedocat wrote:
Quote:
Rein in that obnoxious passion of yours, makes you look like a hypocrite.
Actually, I haven't been a hypocrite anywhere.

Quote:
I kind of don't think you know what was being said.

Let's analyze things from where you're coming from: the story acts in service to the hyperactivity, hmm, hmm, okay; people shouldn't expect a great story from this show because it knows it is stupid and as a result anyone who feels the story lacks depth watched the show in the wrong way, gotcha; people watch martial arts movies for the action, hoping the story facilitates the action, nice, nice...

Except your "People Watch Certain Things Purely To See Cool Stuff Happen" argument is faulty. Because in this case (as is the case of Martial Arts Movies, Wrestling and even PORN), the "cool stuff" people want to see relies heavily on context, context provided by wait for it, wait for it: Kill la Kill's story!

By stating the story lacked depth people are not saying it wasn't smart enough for them. That's just you going off on your own tangent.

What they are saying is that the story does not mask the fact that the writer simply wanted to show cool stuff happening well enough! That better? Hence why it is shallow and stupid or, put the way they worded it, "lacks depth".

Take porn for example... nothing intellectual about that! Porn watchers just want to get to the good stuff. Yet you get pornos where either a little scenario plays out before the main event begins or the girl is interviewed before the guy breaks out the meat and they make a sandwich.

Why do you suppose that happens? It happens to fulfill the very same purpose that pornos, wrestling, martial arts flicks and stories all share in common: to create a fantasy situation that the viewer can self insert themselves into (no pun intended). i.e. it provides context for the good stuff.

Even if when the good stuff happens it is GOOOD, if the context used to set it up isn't done as good people will notice. And for some it may affect their viewing pleasure somewhat (Ever see a porno where the girl being interviewed obviously doesn't want to be there? Take that, hard-on!)

Hey, remember all those complaints people've had regarding the overly high score given to the animation for this show? Yeah Kill la Kill's "good stuff" its action scenes fall short as well. Sure the Satsuki fights were cool but the fights during the E4 arc and Battlefield trip Arc were pretty darn boring. And that Sanageyama fight was atrocious.

Anyway, no one is implying you have low standards. So quit implying other people's standards are too high and making arrogant statements like the one you made.

Everyone watched this show for the very same reason: the good stuff.

The way it got to the good stuff, though, affected some people's viewing pleasure. Hence the criticism.

Doesn't make their opinion any less relevant than yours.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Except your "People Watch Certain Things Purely To See Cool Stuff Happen" argument is faulty. Because in this case (as is the case of Martial Arts Movies, Wrestling and even PORN), the "cool stuff" people want to see relies heavily on context, context provided by wait for it, wait for it: Kill la Kill's story!
I hate to break it to you, but yes that's what I said. that's what facilitating the action means. It means it makes the action easier to happen, gives it's reasons and context.

Quote:
By stating the story lacked depth people are not saying it wasn't smart enough for them. That's just you going off on your own tangent.
This would be true except for the fact that it is'nt. The posts followed with comments about how it was too stupid, "I like to you use my brain", and I need a narrative. All implying needing actual story depth and that it wasn't smart. Read the posts please, they are saying the story isn't smart. So you're wrong (again) here.

Quote:
What they are saying is that the story does not mask the fact that the writer simply wanted to show cool stuff happening well enough! That better? Hence why it is shallow and stupid or, put the way they worded it, "lacks depth".
Well ignoring the fact that's not what they actually said, this still hasn't been actually argued. Also why should it mask? I believe I've basically been saying that's why it was great. Because it had no problems being ridiculous all for the service of having cool things happen to be cool. Again, why is this bad? The answers were because it's stupid and I need a story with depth. "it's not smart". I ask why do you need that in something like Kill La Kill?

Quote:
Take porn for example... nothing intellectual about that! Porn watchers just want to get to the good stuff. Yet you get pornos where either a little scenario plays out before the main event begins or the girl is interviewed before the guy breaks out the meat and they make a sandwich.
Actually the most popular porn is porn without any of that and just straight sex, because no one really likes that. So this comparison fails.

Quote:
Why do you suppose that happens? It happens to fulfill the very same purpose that pornos, wrestling, martial arts flicks and stories all share in common: to create a fantasy situation that the viewer can self insert themselves into (no pun intended). i.e. it provides context for the good stuff.
Ok you're point? If you could read -which I'm not sure you can anymore- I belive I've talked about how the story in Kill La Kill works in service to everything and helps bring apart this nonsensical world and place of action. It all works together in creating Kill La Kill's tone and atmosphere. You seem to not understand that I didn't say the story was bad or non-existent. I said it was stupid and ridiculous, which it is. What you're for whatever reason going over here is something I've already claimed Kill La Kill does.

Quote:
Even if when the good stuff happens it is GOOOD, if the context used to set it up isn't done as good people will notice. And for some it may affect their viewing pleasure somewhat
I'm still waiting to see how the context in kill La Kill to set up the action is bad, since all the other posts amount to "it's stupid". Even your posts before this fail to say why. I myself already acknowledge that the story in Kill la Kill sets up things where the ridiculous fights and action fit.

It creates this world where apparently a high strung teenage girl controls a battle high school and even a entire town. From there the story gives context to the ridiculous idea of her Evil battle student council fighting other super themes high schools. The story has created this intense world where this happens and then something even more crazy happens. Thats great. The story does it's job. It makes fun characters to watch. The complaint about the characters is that they are one note remember? But I thought the complaint wasn't that the show had no depth?

Quote:
(Ever see a porno where the girl being interviewed obviously doesn't want to be there? Take that, hard-on!)
Well like pretty much over half men out there, I skip that stuff because no one actually cares. If the girl is hot is all that matters. But again this porn comparison you're trying to use dosen't work. Because even if we just take Kill La Kill's action scenes here, they still have incredible artistry and require more thought to enjoy then a porno.

Quote:
Hey, remember all those complaints people've had regarding the overly high score given to the animation for this show? Yeah Kill la Kill's "good stuff" its action scenes fall short as well. Sure the Satsuki fights were cool but the fights during the E4 arc and Battlefield trip Arc were pretty darn boring. And that Sanageyama fight was atrocious.
I'm not interested in this technical animation argument. Plus, I've already said the show uses it's cheap animation to great effect. The animation may not technically be good, but it's well directed and I don't recall anything being boring. When the bad animation poped up it almost felt like it came with a wink.

People say Fate Zero has nice animation. I sure don't remember. I remember lots of static boring shots and action that did very little for me. Good story though! Basically that actual directing of the show felt cold. Can't say that about Kill La Kill. Does the animation deserve an A? I don't know, I don't care. All I remember was that I was never bored watching it and was always excited with every frame with what they were doing. It always felt generic.

Quote:
Anyway, no one is implying you have low standards. So quit implying other people's standards are too high and making arrogant statements like the one you made.
I don't care what people think of my taste.

I don't have to imply anything with posts like "I like to use my brain" and "Some of us have standards" in regards to those posters not liking Kill La Kill. No implication is needed, they are saying they have too high standards for this show. IE "look at how smart I am.

Or did you not actually bother to read this thread?

Quote:
Doesn't make their opinion any less relevant than yours.

Actually yes it does. I'll ask again. Do you come to an action show expecting Shakespere? No, so why would you accuse Kill la Kill of being something it's not?

Would it be ok if I hated on Fairy Tale for not being some great parable on mankind?

How about K on for not being some action show?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I love this series dearly, it's an enormous amount of fun. While it doesn't have as much to say, thematically, as Gurren Lagann, it didn't overstay its welcome like GL, and was fun every step of the way. A silly, violent show about super intelligent alien clothing trying to take over the world by covering it in fabric and the super tough magical girl with the embarrassingly revealing transforming outfit fighting it with giant half-scissors gave me more to chew on than your average inspirational coming-of-age story.

Is it some grand masterpiece? Probably not. Would I love to see more shows like it? Yes. Forever and ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Rahxephon91"]
Quote:
Ok cool. Dumb jokes can be good.

Speaking of poop jokes: Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10