• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Starts Yuri Line

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StuffyPuppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
FeralKat wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
This is the first strike in the war against yaoi! DOWN WITH CREEPY YAOI FANGIRLS!

AND ON WITH THE CREEPY YURI FANBOYS!

Confused

Exactly!

LOL! This is why I despise fanboys. I came to a topic about yuri being brought Stateside, and on the first page they bash yaoi. Brilliant!

At least yaoi fans don't go around flaming yuri. They are open to both. And no one is forcing you to like or look at yaoi.

I just find it funny. I am a girl and am interested in this, but when the fans of it flame yaoi for no reason at all, it makes me not want to support their fandom.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:36 am Reply with quote
I love it when people read something on the first page and immediately rant about it. Thereby missing the rest of the discussion which pretty much completely negates the validity of the rant. I find that funny. Brilliant as well. Had you read the rest of the thread before posting, you'd have already known that it was a random troublemaker already silenced, and is in no way reflective of the rest of the threads participants.

I'm sorry though, I guess you just wanted to rant and feel mighty for a second. You even appeared to go through the trouble of registering just for the occassion. Way to overreact. Rolling Eyes

Nice blanket statement about how yaoi fans are apparently perfect by the way. Like none of them hate and flame yuri. I'm sure you know every yaoi fan personally then? Such wishful thinking. Wink

Feel free to read the rest and then come back and join the actual discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
StuffyPuppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I love it when people read something on the first page and immediately rant about it. Thereby missing the rest of the discussion which pretty much completely negates the validity of the rant. I find that funny. Brilliant as well. Had you read the rest of the thread before posting, you'd have already known that it was a random troublemaker already silenced, and is in no way reflective of the rest of the threads participants.

I'm sorry though, I guess you just wanted to rant and feel mighty for a second. You even appeared to go through the trouble of registering just for the occassion. Way to overreact. Rolling Eyes

Nice blanket statement about how yaoi fans are apparently perfect by the way. Like none of them hate and flame yuri. I'm sure you know every yaoi fan personally then? Such wishful thinking. Wink

Feel free to read the rest and then come back and join the actual discussion.

I read the entire thread slowly, but he still irritated me. Sorry, but if some random person jumped at the start of the thread and made demeaning comments to yuri for no reason, wouldn't you be irritated?

And I know not all yaoi fans are perfect. Actually, a great portion of them irritate the hell out of me. I don't like the squealy ones any better than you guys do. But to me, fanboys are quicker to flame yaoi for no reason at all. And, fanboys also flame fangirls all the time. It makes the whole fandom look bad. I go to two other forums where same arse goes and flames them all, trying to yuri-ize them. Really, really angers me. But hey, I know not all fanboys are obnoxious just like all fangirls aren't. I don't mean to lump you all into a category. It probably sounded like I did, but I didn't mean to. Sorry sorry sorry sorry.

Actually I used to post here a while back and people who post here may know me from other forums, but I didn't want to ruin my pretty reputation. I knew people would get mad at my post, so I just decided to disguise myself. I usually try to be polite and nice, but people still get mad at my anyways, even when I am all apologetic. So I just figured scrap the fluff and go blunt since people get angered anyways. Or perhaps I just say the wrong thing all the time. *sighs*
Sorry, I'm just a stuffy puppy. Excuse my hateableness. Forgive me!! Embarassed Crying or Very sad
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote
StuffyPuppy wrote:
I read the entire thread slowly, but he still irritated me. Sorry, but if some random person jumped at the start of the thread and made demeaning comments to yuri for no reason, wouldn't you be irritated?

Sure I would. I even thought the posts in question rather dumb. Still, like I said, it didn't become the focus of the discussion, so it didn't bother me. One has to learn not to take such things personally. Though I'm preaching to the choir there (in that I tend to do so myself). I'm the type that can let hype and (in my opinion) misplaced praise all but kill a show for me. So I get where you're coming from there.

Quote:
And I know not all yaoi fans are perfect.

Nobody is.

Quote:
But to me, fanboys are quicker to flame yaoi for no reason at all. And, fanboys also flame fangirls all the time. It makes the whole fandom look bad.

That's still a bit of a blanket statement. Fans flame other fans all the time. It's just how fandom is. Personally I loath fan politics as much as you do.

Quote:
I go to two other forums where same arse goes and flames them all, trying to yuri-ize them.

Yuri-ize them? That's a new one. How on earth does that work? Sounds like a jerk to me. Anime smile

Quote:
Really, really angers me. But hey, I know not all fanboys are obnoxious just like all fangirls aren't. I don't mean to lump you all into a category. It probably sounded like I did, but I didn't mean to. Sorry sorry sorry sorry.

Yeah it did. After all, you had the whole "I hate fanboys/fangils would never..." bit going. The pieces kind of fit that way. Confused

Quote:
Actually I used to post here a while back and people who post here may know me from other forums, but I didn't want to ruin my pretty reputation. I knew people would get mad at my post, so I just decided to disguise myself. I usually try to be polite and nice, but people still get mad at my anyways, even when I am all apologetic. So I just figured scrap the fluff and go blunt since people get angered anyways. Or perhaps I just say the wrong thing all the time. *sighs*
Sorry, I'm just a stuffy puppy. Excuse my hateableness. Forgive me!! Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Ah, there in lays the source of my reaction. Your post read exactly as I described. Someone who basically fhumed enough at a post to the point where they registered just to rant about it. It didn't really help. Rolling Eyes

Like I said, that thing does annoy me, as someone bashing something annoys you. The whole, "high and mighty" bit.

I suggest though that if you think it's going to anger someone, rethink your post. This is a rather tough forum, I've found.

All's forgiven, just think ahead more next time. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
NeoSam wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
i don't care what people say but if its 2 women and there relationships as the main plot point or part of the main plot somewere its a yuri series.

This is not an opinion, this is a fact, and the way it is.

These are yuri series that end up their way in the shounen and seinen section of japanese shops (yes male oriented yuri manga/light novels).

Kashimashi, Strawberry Panic, Tetragrammaton Labyrinth, and Saigo no Seifuku, all of these end up in the male oriented sections of japanese shops.

well I have had people come up to me and say unless its marketed towards women it wasnt yuri.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
NeoSam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:

well I have had people come up to me and say unless its marketed towards women it wasnt yuri.

Who told you that is either lying to you, or just doesn't know anything.

There are shounen/seinen yuri manga, and there are shoujo/josei yuri manga.
StuffyPuppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

All's forgiven, just think ahead more next time. Wink

Thank you! Thank you! Sometimes I can be a *female puppy*. I shall think before I act from now on!
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
NeoSam wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:

Who told you that is either lying to you, or just doesn't know anything.

There are shounen/seinen yuri manga, and there are shoujo/josei yuri manga.
figured they were full of it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
They have to bring over Love Vibes by Erica Sakurazawa. I wasn't really into yuri before reading this, but since I'm a huge Sakurazawa fan, I decided to try it. It was amazing! I'm a total yuri fan now Smile I can't wait to buy these!
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:
IMO Yuri is much better than BL. The stories seem much more realistic and are written , usually, from a females perspective (as opposed to BL written by women to make men more like women). Don't get me wrong here; I do like some BL manga (mostly doujinshi pairings only) but it seems as if the whole thing is about physical attraction as opposed to emotional (like Yuri).

Pretty much my thoughts on the issue; perhaps it's because I've read less yuri, but the stories tend to be better and the relationships not as superficial.

Mostly I read the shoujo stuff with an occasional josei title; I'm not so sure that shoujo yuri would sell as well, though... Also, I'll jump on the Marimite-needs-to-be-licensed bandwagon (mostly the anime since I think it's superior to the manga, and the novels would be even better).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
I totally forgot to ask back when this thread was first born, but why are they releasing these titles in the 5 7/8” x 8 1/4” format anyway? Please tell me it's because you want to keep the images the original size but put a border around the edges. (I've nearly had to tear some manga apart to read lines because the image goes deep into the fold. Mad )

Also, if the Strawberry line is successful (fingers crossed!) does Seven Seas Entertainment have plans to include any OEL material in the future?

Was the decision to call the line "Strawberry" because you expect Strawberry Panic! to be the biggest success? Whatever the reason, it's a good name. Strawberry's are seen by many as a very sensual food item.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I totally forgot to ask back when this thread was first born, but why are they releasing these titles in the 5 7/8” x 8 1/4” format anyway? Please tell me it's because you want to keep the images the original size but put a border around the edges. (I've nearly had to tear some manga apart to read lines because the image goes deep into the fold. Mad )

We're still working to sort out the technical parts of that question.

Quote:
Also, if the Strawberry line is successful (fingers crossed!) does Seven Seas Entertainment have plans to include any OEL material in the future?

I'm sure we'll eventually do an original series with some yuri elements, but I can't really say if we'd put it under an imprint or not. It hasn't really come up yet.

Quote:
Was the decision to call the line "Strawberry" because you expect Strawberry Panic! to be the biggest success? Whatever the reason, it's a good name. Strawberry's are seen by many as a very sensual food item.

Not at all. We picked the title "STRAWBERRY" becuase having a strawberry in the logo would go well with the feather we used for our Light Novel line's logo...and because, um...girl's like strawberries...? Anime smile;

But seriously, strawberries play so much into the concept of what yuri is that it just seemed like a natural fit to call the line that.

Last edited by adam_omega on Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I always thought lilies were more related to yuri than strawberries?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Considering that the subject is loving there sure is a lot of hate in this thread...

I originally turned to BL because there was no yuri available. So I welcome Strawberry and will be supporting it with my hard earned money Smile
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

We're still working to sorting out the technical parts of that question.
I like the sound of that answer. (Or was that a polite way of saying my question was badly worded?)

Regardless, you guys really seem to be doing things right. I sincerely hope that Seven Seas Entertainment is successful with this new line and that you continue to live up to fan expectations. You've got my support for what it's worth.

Based on the current list of Seven Seas titles, counting only the first volumes of each title and assuming I buy each of the new Yuri titles, my support comes to around $70 bucks so far. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7