• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Most Memorable Anime Villain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Before I begin, to the Team Light fan lurking around contradicting everyone for putting Light down, let me remind you, we're fans of the show too, let us have our own opinion, please. Sing your praises to Kira if you must, but just let us have a word in too.

That being said, I have a small list.

Light Yagami: Death Note: Yeah, I wave a Team L flag proudly. He really got me as a villain although his cause at first was justified. But after awhile, you'd lose yourself like he did and I believe he really freaked me out after Ryuk popped up and told him what he could do. Plus he really leads Misa on a leash lying to her just to use her eyes...poor girl never had a chance.

Daemon Spade: Reborn!: I'm surprised no one mentioned this piece of evil work! Let the strong survive and if they don't work with my standards, betray them! That was his motto. spoiler[his lover dying didn't help things either] Yet he even worked as a ghost to be evil as well. spoiler[Poor Mukuro.]

Orochimaru: Naruto: This guy made me hate snakes. Literally. He scared the crap out of me, yet reminded me of a pedofile since he wanted Sasuke's body so badly. I was surprised to find out spoiler[He fathered/mothered a son in The Last] however.

Sasori: Naruto Shippuden: This is my favorite villian of the series and he rarely got screentime! He turns himself into a puppet, which had to be one painful ritual, and is an expert in poison and puppets and some where human beings period. Who else grabs their parents corpses and does this? Yikes.

Kaname Kuran: Vampire Knight: Sure, he started as a good guy. But to me, he was a villan in sheep's clothing. Took him forever to tell Yuki spoiler[he really wasn't her true big brother, just someone made to look like him] and then really neglects her emotions. She loved him to pieces and left poor Zero hanging because of this guy. Even in the end spoiler[she gives her life to make him human in front of her children] after all he's put her through. Emotional abuse and all, he became a villain through all that I think.

Aizen: Bleach: I at first thought this guy. You think he gets murdered, then he shows up and shows he was the puppet master pulling the strings. Momo needed her head examined if she thought he was really kind and caring.

Kureo Mado: Tokyo Ghoul: Funny how no one mentioned this guy. He really made me root for the ghouls and after he spoiler[murdered Hinami's parents, her mother especially in front of her and even wanted to kill her, a little girl!] I was really ready for him to get killed. Even Touka calls him out on just how little he cares for people who are different in general. He was a horrible man.

A few honorable mentions:

Attack on Titan: Annie Leonheart, the titans, Reiner, Kitts Woerman

Inuyasha: Naraku, Kikyo I won't put Sesshomaru, to me, he wasn't a villain, just misunderstood.

Fairy Tail: Zeref, Hades, Minerva, Jiemma, Acnologia, Kyoka, Maud Greer...

07-Ghost: Ayanami

I think I'm done for now. [/b]
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Johan from Monster. A guy so scary that the mention of his name drives hardened men to madness.

Gendo man, oh Gendo. The hedgegog, the man incapable of meaningful relationships, so obsessed with his wife that he absolutely destroys everything else in the path of that including his relationship with his son. Scary and larger than life doesn't do him enough justice.

Squealer is a great one too. What he accomplished with the means at his disposal is astonishing.

Honorable mentions in my book

Griffith from Berserk

Rubinsky from LOGH

Another kind of memorable villain in my book is Uchiyamada from GTO. The man is absolutely hilarious every time he's on screen.
Spore_777_Mexen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Orochimaru from Naruto
The Laughing Man from Ghost in the Shell

That's all I got for now
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
I would say unless a character kills several innocent bystanders for no reason then they aren't a "true villain". Nazis were true villains for that reason. Light on the other hand never killed without a good reason and killed extremely few innocent people, and even then he killed them so he could continue to kill criminals. Killing for even a twisted reason as that isn't evil, at least in my opinion.
Truly evil characters would be The Major from Hellsing, Doflamingo and the Tenryobitou from One Piece, Orochimaru, The Millennium Earl from D. Grayman, and Knives from Trigun.
Just saying these guys are bad isn't enough.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
Do you mean to say that characters like HAL 9000, Bowser, Mr. Potter, Mojo Jojo, Bill Cipher, Bluto, and the Wicked Witch of the West aren't true villains because none of them killed multiple innocent bystanders for no reason? (The last case's status as a villain is in question though, but for reasons other than cruelty.)
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Do you mean to say that characters like HAL 9000, Bowser, Mr. Potter, Mojo Jojo, Bill Cipher, Bluto, and the Wicked Witch of the West aren't true villains because none of them killed multiple innocent bystanders for no reason? (The last case's status as a villain is in question though, but for reasons other than cruelty.)

lol Ever read Wicked?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
#846768 wrote:
I would say unless a character kills several innocent bystanders for no reason then they aren't a "true villain".

Every villain (even Nazis) has his or her own reasons for what they do, whether or not you find those reasons acceptable, so merely having a reason shouldn't exempt someone from being labeled a villain.

For me I think the hallmark of a real villain is that they either enjoy inflicting suffering and/or death, or they're utterly indifferent to it. Light's a villain because he enjoyed killing people, innocent or not, as it meant he was winning the game.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
lol Ever read Wicked?

Nope, but I know what it's about, and I know about the case for Glinda being the actual antagonist before Wicked became popular.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Rose Bridges. Who does not love a pair of bad guys so incompetent, that you can't help but ask "can we let them win, just once?" Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
@#846768

You don't have to kill anyone to be a villain, you don't even have to break the law. You could be a politician advocating discrimination, a stock marked operator making a profit at the expense of untold others, or someone who buys a company in order to fire everyone and sell the parts for a profit. Evil comes in many forms. Simple schoolyard bullies are villains.
M. Northstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh, seven pages over four or five months, and no mention of Gauron from Full Metal Panic?

That would per definition make him unmemorable, but I have to disagree with that implicit community statement. The way he was always two steps ahead of the heroes, his mixture of coolness and blood lust, his absolute, unapologetic commitment to his immoral principles, and the effortless way he manipulated Sousuke to the very last, made him not just memorable, but the quintessential villain for me.
gumiberry27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
In case of Tenshi ni Narumon, one could argue that it wasn't really Silky who was the real "villain" of the story, but Mikael.
For me personally, Mikael is an interesting case of being a side character, a villain and a protagonist all in one.

That being said, someone actually mentioning Tenshi ni Narumon in a conversation sent my heart into full fangirl mode!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7