• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Renews License to 1st Macross, Southern Cross, Mospeada Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:03 am Reply with quote
@Crispy45: I will be surprised if the copyright maximalists that is Disney does not try to extend "Steamboat Willie" yet again.
@TheHTRO: I am being realistic about when people could legally expect to see the original version of Macross here. However, good luck with an intact original print still being around for public consumption for the next nearly 60 years.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:52 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Someone please educate me why Macross is such a huge deal when it comes to this? Plenty of anime don't get official releases.

World-building, lots of good music, several series of anime and more than one generation of fans.

This intro to Macross Delta might explain a little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZic0uTI6V0 There are plenty of other videos on youtube if you are curious.

The music and related concerts have been well received. May'n and Megumi Nakajima are strongly linked to Macross Frontier to the extent that even with lots of other material May'n always seems to sing something from Macross Frontier even at combined lives, while Megumi Nakajima has done some performances without Macross Frontier but the fans have waited for her to sing songs from it.

At Flying Dog live in February 2019 we had Firebomber (Macross 7), May'n and Megumi Nakajima (Macross Frontier) and Walkure (Macross Delta) - and this wasn't a Macross concert.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not a Robotech guy, not a Macross guy, so I don't know the history, but I gotta hope HG finds religion like Saban did and gets the source material out there to fans who want it and are now pirating it. I've got a stack of R1 Sentai DVDs. A decade ago, that'd be a preposterous thought.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I'm not a Robotech guy, not a Macross guy, so I don't know the history, but I gotta hope HG finds religion like Saban did and gets the source material out there to fans who want it and are now pirating it. I've got a stack of R1 Sentai DVDs. A decade ago, that'd be a preposterous thought.

Saban's still sitting on Digimon among plenty of other series as dub-only.

Truth be told there's no real difference than Harmony Gold and the likes of 4Kids, Nelvana, Saban, or any of these other companies making dumbed down dubs for kids.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Truth be told there's no real difference than Harmony Gold and the likes of 4Kids, Nelvana, Saban, or any of these other companies making dumbed down dubs for kids.

Saban's dead. It's why Hasbro scooped up PR and a bunch of other IPs. We actually don't know who has Digimon and the like. Most common observation seems to be Toei themselves given Tri's release.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Someone please educate me why Macross is such a huge deal when it comes to this? Plenty of anime don't get official releases. It could be worse, you could get them here as edited dub-only versions like Pretty Cure, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh's dubs.

I would love to live in a world which had hundreds of episodes of Macross. While Toei did have issues with getting Pretty Cure adapted for the western market it wasn't for lack of trying. Also Harmony Gold prevents the sell of Macross Delta/Frontier products outside of Japan so the situation with Macross is unique.

Amibite wrote:
I'd count myself lucky if I were you guys. You don't have to put up with a terrible dub affecting the new series and splitting the fandom.

While dubbing anime can occasionally cause fandom issues it also means that there are more western fans of the franchise, more money going to the people that make it, and therefore it gets more episodes. Macross had the potential to be a huge mecha franchise like Gundam but the inability to sell the recent series outside of Japan has limited it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:

Saban's dead. It's why Hasbro scooped up PR and a bunch of other IPs. We actually don't know who has Digimon and the like. Most common observation seems to be Toei themselves given Tri's release.
The streaming and home video rights for the TV series was owned by Cinedigm but their rights seem to be expiring so it will likely return to Toei.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I think that Harmony Gold is making a complete BS about the license renewal and get fan outrage to measure the relevancy of Macross/Rototech franchise in the West. More outrage means free PR which Harmony Gold can easily convince Japanese side that Macross is still popular.

Since we cannot see the alleged renewed agreement in both Japanese and English, I think ANN journalist should confirm the license renewal by contacting Tatsunoko as well.

Plus, I don't know why Tatsunoko wants to do business with the company that filed lawsuit against them. My guess is that either Tatsunoko really doesn't know the reality of Macross/Robotech franchise in the West or Harmony Gold sold Tatsunoko complete BS to secure the license renewal.

On the bright side, I guess Tatsunoko owns rights for 80's TV show only and nothing more? I think young fans don't care much about 80's show as its visuals are dated and newer shows such as Delta and Frontier deserve better attention than trying to appeal to nostalgic old fans who are still stuck with old TV series.

Let's pray that Big West or Studio Nue intervenes BIG time for this matter. Even Shoji Kawamori is not too happy about situation about how Macross is handled in the West:

Quote:
“I really wish I could have Macross released in its entirety across the world though. If I had the chance to officially stream Macross Delta and make it available to fans everywhere, like Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, I'd be very happy to see that happen.”

My general impression here was that Kawamori and those at Studio Nue being the creative copyright holders of Macross, are caught in among all this. The frustration was obvious, as he clearly just wants to see his work released after all these years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/#2c73a6213a0f

I think outrage also should be directed to ignorant Robotech fans who still support HG by buying their janky merchandise. When Robotech fans fans supported crowdfunded things like board game and such, it gives Harmony Gold more leverage on license deals.

I used to like Robotech as kid, but when it blocks new Macross shows in the name of upkeeping Robotech franchise, then they shouldn't be welcomed at conventions at all.

So I can't trust Harmony Gold's announcement, ignorant Robotech fans block new Macross show by feeding the HG, and HG shouldn't be welcome at any anime convention. Giving attention to them only make things worse.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the bright side, I guess Tatsunoko owns rights for 80's TV show only and nothing more? I think young fans don't care much about 80's show as its visuals are dated and newer shows such as Delta and Frontier deserve better attention than trying to appeal to nostalgic old fans who are still stuck with old TV series.
They worked on The Price of Smiles earlier this year which started off well but had a rocky ending. But they do seem to mostly focus on doing remakes of their existing properties like Gatchaman Crowds and Infini-T Force.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:

They worked on The Price of Smiles earlier this year which started off well but had a rocky ending. But they do seem to mostly focus on doing remakes of their existing properties like Gatchaman Crowds and Infini-T Force.

Tatsunoko hired young people to revitalize their original IP's with Gatchaman Crowds and Infit-T force with digital tools. I'm guessing that Prince of Smile is Tatsunoko's way of making new IP for themselves.

Anyway, everyone knows that Tasunoko owns animation right only for original Macross TV, not franchise rights which consists of subsequent sequels and prequel. I think that's why Tatsunoko is absent from production of Macross sequels and prequel for all these decades.

If Kawamori wants to remake Macross TV with better developed story and visual, then he could just take it to his go-to studio (Satelight) and make a new one. I'm pretty sure Tatsunoko can't say anything about remake because they have rights for 80's version only and Tatsunoko is only interested in their own IP, not someone else's.

I have feeling that local anime publishers in the West are already trying to get hold of various rights holders (Big West, Mainichi TV, Bandai, Shogakugan, etc) so that they could distribute various Macross sequels in their territory when HG lost its grip on Macross trademark.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
Making a remake of the original Macross is easier said than done for a few reasons -

1. Harmony Gold, as the gangsters they are, filed trademarks on both the name Macross and the UN Spacy logo worldwide, and while Big West is fighting them, the legal nonsense could take decades. Those trademarks let them put a stop to any sort of importation of anything with the name Macross, be it sequel or remake.

2. The voices. The original VA for Hikaru passed away a few years back and from what I understand, Kawamori is adamant about not replacing him. Even if he did agree to recast him, recasting Minmei, replacing Mari Ijima would be an absolute nightmare for anyone trying to fill those shoes.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:

Toei and Shout Factory seem to have a pretty good relationship right now, I can see them grabbing the licence. Hell, they are likely working with Hasbro to continue releasing Sentai over here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:

I'd count myself lucky if I were you guys. You don't have to put up with a terrible dub affecting the new series and splitting the fandom.

Yeah you can have fandoms being split on things like writing, designs, vocal performances, and the series being picked up for exclusive streaming on netflix or some other service instead Razz
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Robotech has not been a major thing in th last 35+ years. I feel like only Gen Xers are the only ones who have nostalgia for it at this point.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Robotech has not been a major thing in th last 35+ years. I feel like only Gen Xers are the only ones who have nostalgia for it at this point.

Oh definitely. It's all about nostalgia. Gen X'ers and some Gen Y'ers are the ones having nostalgia about Robotech and we don't see them actively celebrating the franchise all these years either.

At conventions, we don't see young people dressed up in original Macross/Robotech character costume or actively selling fan arts at conventions. If you happen to see original Macross/Robotech cosplay, it's usually some middle-aged fans dressed up as one while having their little kids tagging along (I've seen one). And those older fans don't even follow latest Macross franchise since they're too busy with their kids.

If Robotech is still a big deal, then there would be some kind of marketing blitz celebrating on every 5 anniversary years (5, 10, 15 years respectively) So far, I have not seen or read about such thing in past 25 years as anime fan and I've only seen usual Harmony Gold setting up a small panel at a local convention somewhere with some older fans line up to hear HG's latest announcement.

In my opinion, Robotech franchise is just grasping straw to stay relevant. Most of the kids who watched Robotech in 80's grew up and moved onto something else. Robotech franchise can do something to be relevant to young fans, but I noticed that their established Robotech storyline is not attracting new generation of fans and not able to produce sequels easily. Come to think of it, Harmony Gold barely finished the sequel, Shadow Chronicle, with outsourced labor from Korea and we know that IT CAN'T EVEN COMPETE with any of the Macross sequels produced in Japan in terms of quality.

If Macross Delta and Frontier are licensed in the West, young fans would rather spend money on those merchandises as they're more relevant to them.

I'm a Gen X myself (born 1976) and probably that's why I can't help myself making comment about Macross/Robotech rights nonsense. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8