• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are Japanese High Schools really that bad?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
Porcupine, I swear to god I hope you do not have any kids. I am a open person but you have given me NO reason to believe you are a decent person.

I realize the fear brought about by bullies, I'm aware of some teachers attitude to not react properly, and I would be mroe than happy to vote for a law that brought back "caneing" or paddling. But NOTHING that I have seen short of harming another person or putting your life in danger would warrant bringing a weapon on school grounds. Especially something as trivial as getting my lunch money stolen every day. You bring a knife, any weapon to deal with a f'ing bully, and you're giving him the right to do the same to you. People have a warped view of what revenge is, and considering you're talking about a kid who, either has a bad home life or suffers delusions or even psychotic episodes of inhumanity, they would probably have no problem to bring their own knife to school and slit your throat.

But thinking about it, in a sense you're right. People wouldn't mess with you, at least the smart ones. Let me bring you an example. A kid brought a knife to school, and threatened our principal that he'd cut him. He was suspended for about a year or two, but when he came back, no one messed with him. No one even wanted to look at him. Sure, he had a couple friends that he'd skip school with, peobably smoked, drank, did other crimes, etc, etc. While the guys who, you know, actually stood up with their fists to people who picked on them(like a man), came back beaten up, but fudge if those guys said anything to their face again and everyone else not only respected them, they liked them more too for standing up for themselves.

So your twisted logic works in a way. People won't mess with you because their too afraid, and if they do they do so because they're not scared of such cowardly tactics and probably look forward to cutting you with their OWN knives.

You say this method isn't the ideal, but it's the best for when the parents and teachers can't/won't do anything about it. Well fudge that. fudge. That. it's whacked thinking like this that leads to crimes in school, ultimately drugs, and children getting killed. It's because pansies like you who are too cowardly to stand up for themselves without the use of devices designed for serious bodily harm, it is decisions like that that make people think they can't do shit for themselves wihout a weapon.

I'm done being nice. If my post is too insulting let the mods take it away, but I will be damned if I sit here and listen to this harbinger of doom try to influence children who visit this forum to bring weapons to school. IT IS NOT WORTH IT! A year's worth of school lunches isn't worth it, getting shoved into the locker isn't worth, YOUR LIFE IS TOO IMPORTANT TO BRING A WEAPON TO SCHOOL AND POSSIBLY ENDANGER YOURS OR ANOTHER'S LIFE! If you are tired of being picked on, learn karate! Go to the gym after school and work out. Make friends with people who want to be your friends so the bullying hurts less or can help you stop it, but bringing a [expletive] knife to school just says "I'm too chicken to stand up for myself so I'll just wave this around like I know what the hell I'm doing." You will be ostracized by schoolmates and friends who do like/care about you, or you'll be targeted by the criminals (notice how I say criminals and NOT delinquents) who would love nothing more than to test your so-called knifing skills, you'll be arrested or sent to juvie, OR ANY COMBINATION OF THESE!

Porcupine, if you teach these lessons to your children theyy are going to end up in jail, the hospital, or worse, in the ground. You better start seeing people more subjectively otherwise you are going to be hurt bad.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
Porcupine, I swear to god I hope you do not have any kids. I am a open person but you have given me NO reason to believe you are a decent person.

I realize the fear brought about by bullies, I'm aware of some teachers attitude to not react properly, and I would be mroe than happy to vote for a law that brought back "caneing" or paddling. But NOTHING that I have seen short of harming another person or putting your life in danger would warrant bringing a weapon on school grounds. Especially something as trivial as getting my lunch money stolen every day. You bring a knife, any weapon to deal with a f'ing bully, and you're giving him the right to do the same to you. People have a warped view of what revenge is, and considering you're talking about a kid who, either has a bad home life or suffers delusions or even psychotic episodes of inhumanity, they would probably have no problem to bring their own knife to school and slit your throat.

But thinking about it, in a sense you're right. People wouldn't mess with you, at least the smart ones. Let me bring you an example. A kid brought a knife to school, and threatened our principal that he'd cut him. He was suspended for about a year or two, but when he came back, no one messed with him. No one even wanted to look at him. Sure, he had a couple friends that he'd skip school with, peobably smoked, drank, did other crimes, etc, etc. While the guys who, you know, actually stood up with their fists to people who picked on them(like a man), came back beaten up, but fudge if those guys said anything to their face again and everyone else not only respected them, they liked them more too for standing up for themselves.

So your twisted logic works in a way. People won't mess with you because their too afraid, and if they do they do so because they're not scared of such cowardly tactics and probably look forward to cutting you with their OWN knives.

You say this method isn't the ideal, but it's the best for when the parents and teachers can't/won't do anything about it. Well fudge that. fudge. That. it's whacked thinking like this that leads to crimes in school, ultimately drugs, and children getting killed. It's because pansies like you who are too cowardly to stand up for themselves without the use of devices designed for serious bodily harm, it is decisions like that that make people think they can't do shit for themselves wihout a weapon.

I'm done being nice. If my post is too insulting let the mods take it away, but I will be damned if I sit here and listen to this harbinger of doom try to influence children who visit this forum to bring weapons to school. IT IS NOT WORTH IT! A year's worth of school lunches isn't worth it, getting shoved into the locker isn't worth, YOUR LIFE IS TOO IMPORTANT TO BRING A WEAPON TO SCHOOL AND POSSIBLY ENDANGER YOURS OR ANOTHER'S LIFE! If you are tired of being picked on, learn karate! Go to the gym after school and work out. Make friends with people who want to be your friends so the bullying hurts less or can help you stop it, but bringing a [expletive] knife to school just says "I'm too chicken to stand up for myself so I'll just wave this around like I know what the hell I'm doing." You will be ostracized by schoolmates and friends who do like/care about you, or you'll be targeted by the criminals (notice how I say criminals and NOT delinquents) who would love nothing more than to test your so-called knifing skills, you'll be arrested or sent to juvie, OR ANY COMBINATION OF THESE!

Porcupine, if you teach these lessons to your children theyy are going to end up in jail, the hospital, or worse, in the ground. You better start seeing people more subjectively otherwise you are going to be hurt bad.

Amen to that. Thank you for telling how it is.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
If you are tired of being picked on, learn karate! Go to the gym after school and work out. Make friends with people who want to be your friends so the bullying hurts less or can help you stop it, but bringing a [expletive] knife to school just says "I'm too chicken to stand up for myself so I'll just wave this around like I know what the hell I'm doing."

Mr. Shintaro Ishihara, this is not a place you should come.

On 2006-11-10, Tokyo mayor Shintaro Ishihara wrote:
自分で闘ったらいい。ファイティングスピリットがなければ、一生どこに行ってもいじめられる。

I happened to know a case of ijime where the victim is much taller and stronger than the offenders. They used "weaklings' tactics" to threat the stronger victim that if he doesn't follow what they say they'll tell the teacher that he uses violence on them.

Go to the gym? Pfffft. If you are talking about school's gym, you'd be intercepted before you reach it or get dragged out, and even on your luckiest day nobody dares to let you borrow the equipment (or they'll become the next target). The only possible way would be another gym at the other side of town, and to do so requires extra time, money, and determination -- most victims have none. And before you say anything regarding "if they don't have the determination then so be it" I'll let you know it would be the same as telling a rape victim "why did you wear such a sexy dress?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Meiaminkbell wrote:
If you are tired of being picked on, learn karate! Go to the gym after school and work out. Make friends with people who want to be your friends so the bullying hurts less or can help you stop it, but bringing a [expletive] knife to school just says "I'm too chicken to stand up for myself so I'll just wave this around like I know what the hell I'm doing."

I happened to know a case of ijime where the victim is much taller and stronger than the offenders. They used "weaklings' tactics" to threat the stronger victim that if he doesn't follow what they say they'll tell the teacher that he uses violence on them.

Go to the gym? Pfffft. If you are talking about school's gym, you'd be intercepted before you reach it or get dragged out, and even on your luckiest day nobody dares to let you borrow the equipment (or they'll become the next target). The only possible way would be another gym at the other side of town, and to do so requires extra time, money, and determination -- most victims have none. And before you say anything regarding "if they don't have the determination then so be it" I'll let you know it would be the same as telling a rape victim "why did you wear such a sexy dress?"

So how do you suggest a victim deals with being bullied?

They can't bring a weapon, the teachers/staff/parents wont do anything about it, the police wont get involved unless something serious happens (by when it is too late) and now the victim can't try and make themselves no longer a target.

What options remain?

They wont get outside help and can't do anything about it themselves.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
The gym was possibly a bad choice of words, however, you can do simple workouts at home that provide the same result. Push-ups, sit-ups, running, whatever you do it tkes discipline and determination. And no, I would not say that "those who aren't determined let it be", however, those who aren't determined will soon learn that they will get in trouble one way or another. No asks to be bullied on, just like no one asks to be raped, and although the cases are two different degrees, you are correct. However, what you can do is either live in fear for the rest of your life, or, get up and do something about it. If you are really terrified and refuse to improve your body, use something non-lethal like pepper spray.

Are you condoing Porcupine's post dormcat? I don't know if you are, or just pointing out the weak points in my arguements (which you have every right to), but I also feel as if you're agreeing with him.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Meiaminkbell wrote:

So how do you suggest a victim deals with being bullied?

They can't bring a weapon, the teachers/staff/parents wont do anything about it, the police wont get involved unless something serious happens (by when it is too late) and now the victim can't try and make themselves no longer a target.

What options remain?

They wont get outside help and can't do anything about it themselves.

Ah yes the answer is simple to say, yet hard to do. What needs to be done is a government re-working, make the teachers care, make the police do something about it, and give the kids options. Your right hentai4me they really don't have any viable options then doing something that may hurt others or is against the law at this point from what I understand. What needs to happen is for the Japanese government to fix this problem like what was being discussed in one of the links Goodpenguin set up. It is the governments responsiblity, and the parents to fix a bullying problem over there. Thats the only solution I can think of, its a problem caused by the atmosphere of Japanese schools like it said in that link about Abe reforming schools.
2Real

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
My idea would for everyone t just sit back and smoke some ganja, joke joke.

In reality it is the teachers responcability to be dealing with these issuses not the students.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i rember recently a bill being passed (can't rember if it wasstate or federal) in the US, that any student that is bullying others the parents can be jailed and/or fined for it.

I think the real problem is that violence in our schoos has gotten so bad that the teachers don't want to do anything out of fear of becoming a target themselfs. Students bringng in guns, knives, and other wepons are only making this issue worse.

In my personal opinion humanity has gone to garbage becuase of things like this. Most people will turn a blind eye to things simply because they don't want to get involved which is what needs to be happening. Teachers and parents NOT the kids need to solve this issue. The kids in this case could esily end up doing what porcupine was saying, then making the situation ten times worse then it orginal was. All things like tha will do are start off a chan reaction of events going from bad to wose.

Hate it or love it.

1st thing that came to mind when writeing this post was the show GTO.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
We need more teachers like Onizuka IMO.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
My idea would for everyone t just sit back and smoke some ganja, joke joke.

In reality it is the teachers responcability to be dealing with these issuses not the students.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i rember recently a bill being passed (can't rember if it wasstate or federal) in the US, that any student that is bullying others the parents can be jailed and/or fined for it.

I don't think it's 100% the parent's fault the child is being a bully. Look at the kids who masscred their schools and what did the neighbour say about the parents: mostly positives. Parents could be more active in their childs life but it's usually peer pressure that a kid starts bulling others. I remember my friends and I picked on this one girl and I joined in because "it was cool to call her names." The thing is, most kids don't tell their teachers and most of the bulling happends either at recess or the serious bulling happends after school. If the kids are having a fight off school property after school which isn't the teacher's responsibility. Think about it, if a kid is being beaten up after school and they tell the teacher wouldn't that give the bullies more reason to attack the kid?
2Real

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Anythg the person being picked on dose would be more of a reason. Thats the problem also: since it is after school it has nothing to do with us, or that is their home life not their acidemic life so it dosen't concern us.

But this has gone REALY off topic from the orignal post. So, I'm not going to discuss politcal issues or personal stand points any more.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell, although I'm not a mod so what I think may not matter, I don't find your responses to me to be insulting in the least bit, and am glad you post the things you do. My posts in this thread have been extreme and need to be balanced out by other viewpoints. This isn't an easy issue to deal with and many people might be uncomfortable with it. I think all things considered this thread is going really well, I'm very impressed in general.

darkside, well as dormcat pointed out earlier some of us have different ideas of bullying in mind. I do consider all types of bullying but I only speak about the most severe and life-threatening cases in which physical violence is involved. Oftentimes, even lesser types of bullying (stealing one's things, etc) can escalate into physical violence, so it's important to know how to deal with the most extreme forms of bullying.

In regards to rape in schools, yeah it happens everywhere I think. I'm not sure since I am not a girl though, but I think it happened in my (locally prestigious) high school, on school grounds, one to four times while I was there. It is hard to tell because my school did everything possible to cover up each incident and I'm totally out-of-touch with such things (even the rumors rarely reach me).

Do you define a blunt raping of a girl by a huge guy to be bullying? I dunno. I think it fits. It's school violence, plain and simple. And it is life-threatening school violence.

psycho101, omar....Like I said I'm no lawyer but I doubt you guys are either. Whether there is no single federal law defining "self-defense" is completely irrelevant. Self-defense arguments can work in a court of law. If a 100-pound girl killed a 250-pound man as he is raping her, I stand by my statement that there is almost no way she will get any jail time. I doubt she would even get community service or something like that. The worst she might get is mandatory counseling.

Even your arguments of "equal force" defense being mandatory is subject to scrutiny. For one thing, I don't think it is even true. If it is, you must prove it to me with lots of legal documents which you can't do unless you are a lawyer (if you just find some documents for me but aren't a lawyer, I still won't believe you, because the legal system in the USA can be extremely complex). And even if it is true, it can be argued that a 100-pound girl with a knife is just as deadly as a 250-pound man with just his body. In fact, I think there's no argument, it's true plain and simple.

In any case, I said before that I think pepper spray is better. I guess the only problem with that though is that I'm not sure guys can carry pepper spray in their pockets, the can might be too big. If you put it in your backpack it will be too slow to take out to be of any use. Even for girls, pepper spray in a purse can be too slow to take out if you've already been accosted. So I think a knife in the pocket is better, but anyone who carries a knife around for self-defense has to be willing to use it if necessary, too.

Oh, maybe those electric shocker things would be best. Those things are pretty effective (moreso than pepper spray), nonlethal, and can fit in your pocket. I knew people who carried those around in college. I forgot all about them. Yeah, carry those then. I think they might be called stunguns.

In Yugioh, I remember punks used stunguns on Joey. Smile Yeah okay, forget the knife-thing entirely. I'm not too sure where to buy them, but it's probably easy because lots of people have them. Bring a stungun to school.

Hrm...then again if you bring a stungun to school and use it, sometimes you could get killed in retaliation. Especially in a ghetto school like psycho101's. So maybe the knife thing isn't such a ridiculous suggestion after all. If you cut someone, it's way more scary and depending on how ghetto your school is, there is less chance of retaliation if you cut someone compared to if you electroshock them.

Meiamkinbell, one last thing. While I totally respect and even kind of agree with much of what you say. Your suggestion of fighting back with fists and/or working out is not always applicable. The 100-pound girl cannot work out to become as strong as the 250-pound linebacker. Everyone else already realized that, but I just wanted you to realize it too. Although your viewpoints are valid, the only solution you gave to the problem of being bullied is to just be bullied for your whole life (but you also said the pepper spray was okay, thanks heh). And if that's your choice, that's fine too. I already said that earlier.

Last edited by Porcupine on Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine: I appreciate your thoughtful response, and even though I agree on VERY LITTLE of what you had to say, you come off as a very intelligent person (just someone who's trying to advocate violance).

As for the 100 pound girl, my suggestion vfaries from person to person.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine: pepper spray is illegal in some places because people don't know how to use the properly. They are meant to be sprayed above the eye on the eyebrows not directly in the eyes. Yes, that woman would get jail time because it's concidered manslaughter. I've taken law classes, and legally, if one's life is threated they must get the guy down,(not kill, but make them unable chase, such as stomping on their knees) flee the scene, then call the police.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
reebi, I have no comment on whether pepper spray is illegal or not (I have no idea, I presume you can easily obtain it though, and I suspect it is legal in most places). You are also a fool for thinking a person has control of where they spray their mace when in a life-threatening situation. You spray it wherever you can. You don't have time to aim carefully at the eyebrows instead of the eyes, and the spray itself will have a width to it and it's not even possible to spray the eyebrows without spraying the eyes.

And you have no idea what you are talking about regarding self-defense issues. Sure, a 100 pound girl must somehow push down a 250 pound guy and stomp on his knees, and he will then say "Owee, I can't move anymore boo hoo!" and then she can run away. Yeah, right...like that is going to happen. You have no idea what you are talking about, and every post you've made in this thread has been idiotic.

You say you've taken a law class, well so have I. And I say you are wrong. Neither of us are real lawyers though, so what we say has no real weight.

Last edited by Porcupine on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I am no lawyer, but I think psycho is a law student. If you won't believe me because I am not a lawyer then well I guess there is nothing I can do about since I don't want to be one. Also like I said in terms of rape it varies case by case. Sometimes lethal force is justified and the women won't get any jail time, somtimes they do get jail time, mostly because if you are in danger you are supposed to look for a way to disable the attacker, going for a kill shot just for the man showing and grabbing you is illegal, unless he is armed with a lethal weapon and he tries to use it on you. Then your self-deffense can be justified and it will hold up in court. Wink You also can't proceed to attack the attacker if you do manges to disable them. I would suggest eye gouging (sp?) or kicking him as hard as you can in the genitals as your means of escape, crushing his knees require power and usally only women who have taken self -deffense could do that effectivly.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9