• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action DBZ Set to Shoot in Montreal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
Ak! I really do hope this movie kicks ass so that all the nay-sayers can quit bitching.

I also wouldn't care if any main-steam action/epic monguls got involved with the production (Jerry Bruckheimer, Gore Verbinski, Ridley Scott, Micheal Bay etc) accompanied by a kick-ass musical score from the guys at former Media Ventures (Hans Zimmer, Nick Glennie-Smith, Harry Gregson-Williams, etc).

This is just my opinion of course. But from working in the industry, Hollywood today is full of positive surprises. Let's just see what happens, then we'll go from there.

Kamehameha!

/j
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Actually, I understand what you mean when you say that. But if you haven't forgotten, they did temporarily play the uncut version of CN when it was aired again. I personally doubt that it'll be rated PG. I'm pretty sure it will at least be PG-13, considering it won't be an Animated feature anymore.

Look at Pirates of the Caribbean. If Disney got away with a PG-13 movie, why can't FOX?

Anime hyper In a way, I just want to say, to hell with the young audience. I'm sure most viewers were still between the ages of 13-19....something along the sort.

^__^ Just have to wait and see.
I'm glad to see that not all my babblings are incomprehensible. Yes they eventually did show uncut episodes though I'm not quite sure it was many of them and I think that was a last ditch effort to give the title its last chance at life on screen. Also I agree that there would have been a few young adults that might have secretly watched DBZ, but how many of them would add up to a box office success? I'll add that my two tweens always thought it was pants anyway, and they are as addicted to anime as I. (Guilty as charged M'lard.) They are a bit meh about this LA version too.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:33 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This would make sense if it were being reported anywhere else than the Montreal Times.

If Fox had set up production on an Emmerich-directed Fantastic Voyage, it'd have made the trade papers a long time ago. It would have taken a small leak, a rumor, some kind of press release, SOMETHING. I would've seen this on Variety.com or Defamer or in The Hollywood Reporter or David Poland or Jeff Wells' blog or SOMETHING. But there isn't anything. Not even Ain't It Cool News has anything about this.

Let alone the fact that they're set to shoot a sequel to "A Night at the Museum", which also hasn't been mentioned anywhere that might be credible at all.

If any of this news were being leaked throughout the extremely extensive Hollywood trade paper business or any of the informed blogs or anything at all that might make it seem legit, I'd buy it.

Right now this is bullshit unless proven otherwise.

So, why did you allow it to be posted? For shits and giggles?

Arcwave wrote:

I also wouldn't care if any main-steam action/epic monguls got involved with the production (Jerry Bruckheimer, Gore Verbinski, Ridley Scott, Micheal Bay etc) accompanied by a kick-ass musical score from the guys at former Media Ventures (Hans Zimmer, Nick Glennie-Smith, Harry Gregson-Williams, etc).

I seriously hope Bay gets it and bastardizes it like he did with Transformers and piss-off the DB fanboys. It's perfect for him!!

Explosions.....easily exploitable franchise....Summer Blockbuster Material.....Perfect for him!!
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
More importantly, thpough we really need a second Night at the Museum?! Rolling Eyes

That struck me as worse than live action DBZ, I'd see DBZ for the cheese factor alone. I'm just surprised it's actually getting made.

Moogle-X wrote:
Prepare for the second sign. Uwe Boll will get an Academy Award for best director on a movie!

If that happens, I'm building a bomb shelter in my basement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

I don't "allow" the news to be posted. We have a news editor, it's at his discretion.

There's no absolutely solid reason to disbelieve it, either; I'm basing my comments on what I've seen at the myriad film industry websites I visit. The Montreal Times isn't inherently a bad source, it's just incredibly odd that this news isn't being repeated anywhere else.

Unless you're a complete film news junkie like me there's no reason to think it's bogus. It's just my opinion, anyway.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I don't "allow" the news to be posted. We have a news editor, it's at his discretion.

Poor discretion to say the least. I'll stop there.

Moving on to make more than the require 3 sentences per post:

So if Hollywood does make the movie, I know already it's gonna fail royally. To even make a decent DBZ movie, it has to be spread out like thus:

* They get stranded on Namek and talk about power levels for an hour.
* Fighting goes for another hour.
* Powering up will take 2 hours, more talking for an hour.
* And the battle ends in one minute, roll credits.

And how will they properly capture the hair? All the hair gel on earth can't make one Goku hairstyle!!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Zac wrote:

Poor discretion to say the least. I'll stop there.

It's far more likely that I'm wrong and this news will start making its way around the usual film press shortly.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

I seriously hope Bay gets it and bastardizes it like he did with Transformers and piss-off the DB fanboys. It's perfect for him!!

Explosions.....easily exploitable franchise....Summer Blockbuster Material.....Perfect for him!!

I, personally, love Michael Bay's style. I really don't think any of the DB fans would be at all mad if he got involved. I mean, you said it yourself, "big explosions!" That's really all what DBZ was, and it's one of the many reasons why people loved it.

I'm excited for this. So yeah, Christian Bale as Goku? Hehe.

/j
gamebreaker04

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So if Hollywood does make the movie, I know already it's gonna fail royally. To even make a decent DBZ movie, it has to be spread out like thus:

* They get stranded on Namek and talk about power levels for an hour.
* Fighting goes for another hour.
* Powering up will take 2 hours, more talking for an hour.
* And the battle ends in one minute, roll credits.

I know you're trying to be funny and all, but as long those things are more limited, wouldn't that make a decent DBZ movie? Of course if you're being sarcastic, then I don't see where you're going with that, other than "DBZ sucks because..."
KSweeley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, look at this everyone, Fox informed IGN this regarding the DBZ movie:

Quote:
UPDATED: 20th Century Fox has informed IGN that this report cannot be confirmed as neither start dates nor locations are locked in at this point.

This is from: http://movies.ign.com/articles/817/817539p1.html

So this suggests that Fox still has the rights to DBZ but are currently sitting on the rights.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
They're probably doing location-scouting.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
KSweeley wrote:

Quote:
UPDATED: 20th Century Fox has informed IGN that this report cannot be confirmed as neither start dates nor locations are locked in at this point.

This is from: http://movies.ign.com/articles/817/817539p1.html

At least so far, that's just boilerplate. They're not saying any of the other reports are *wrong*, they just won't confirm that anybody is *right.*

Having said that, it is also true that *some* (not all) of us at ANN give more credence to stories that appear in the mainstream press. To some degree, if they screw up, it's their fault, and not necessarily ours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
HyperGatack wrote:
Not to mention, violence in the US kids shows is rising (Notably the comic book ones, like the DCAU, and possibility's of Gwen being lobbed off a bridge in the new Spider-man), and JP anime violence is declining (Compare the early Bleach episodes to ones nowadays.)

What are you talking about? In an american cartoon, nobody can have guns, nobody can bleed and nobody says: "he is dead", everybody has to say: "he was destroyed". Even smoking is banned.

Avatar: the Last Airbender disagrees with you.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm glad to see that not all my babblings are incomprehensible. Yes they eventually did show uncut episodes though I'm not quite sure it was many of them and I think that was a last ditch effort to give the title its last chance at life on screen. Also I agree that there would have been a few young adults that might have secretly watched DBZ, but how many of them would add up to a box office success? I'll add that my two tweens always thought it was pants anyway, and they are as addicted to anime as I. (Guilty as charged M'lard.) They are a bit meh about this LA version too.

Well, first of all, it is DBZ, so a lot of fans will flock to see it out of curiousity. They want to know how much it would suck, or if it's going to be a success.

Basically... We're going to have to see the trailer first. Wasn't there a movie that you seen a preview of, went to see it, and then found out it was absolutely horrible? Or was as good as you expected or better? Or just...Ah, Ok, not great?

It'll be a success for raiding people into the theater, that can be for certain. It's all up to the individual to decide what they want to do. I can't particularity comment on it, though. I watch what I want, whether or not people recommend it.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:

xD haha, best quote ever. Sorry, I just wanted to point that out. >.>;

Arcwave wrote:

o_o hmm? Was Transformers that bad to you, though? I liked it.... >.>;

I just have to comment that Hollywood movies aren't always with the best story lines, and I'm not going to expect an Academy-Award winning DBZ live action film. I just want to go watch it, and make a decision to see if I really liked it or not. Of course, I will probably nitpick what I like from what I didn't like, but that's normal. I'm not going to bash anyone who enjoyed the movie and I didn't, or vice versa.

For now, since nothing is in the works, I can't really comment too much on FOX's production ideas. The budget seems pretty high, so they will take the movie seriously, the only thing that really concerns me is what they're going to use as the plot storyline, and how they can determine what characters they want to film, if they're going to mix Arc characters together, etc.

So before I'm going to scream out "IT'S GONNA SUCK ASS" before I haven't heard a damn thing...I'll wait. So far, I'm just enjoying the senseless bickering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7