• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Jih2 wrote:
Wait Zac's desk doesn't have liquor bottles around it, what is this madness?

The answer, my friend, is here.

That's not quite big enough to hold 2 bottles of Scotch though.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
So is the goal of saveouranime to make people buy every single anime they watch and stop downloading? Thats a waste of time because that is NEVER going to work. I dont see the point in sites like these trying to sway people to buy anime when its not ever going to work. I only see it working if people can actually get in trouble for watching anime free. And by that I include streaming sites. So far I haven't seen anyone get in serious trouble so its not going to stop. Any site that closes down will only give birth to several in its place.

Fyi I buy anime & manga but also download/watch them on streaming sites, etc.

But sometimes its nice to be able to read some sick stuff like Toriko Aigan Shoujo and Tokyo Akazukin and not buy it. I wouldnt want to buy it. But I liked the shock value of it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Before I had a good 400+ people on my back about my likes and dislikes but now, just two roomates.

A lock would do nicely with them. Yes, all I need do is put it on a chain...

Oh dear, I'm afraid I have an entirely too dirty mind....

- abunai
Captain Out-of-Context
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Jih2 wrote:
Wait Zac's desk doesn't have liquor bottles around it, what is this madness?

The answer, my friend, is here.

That's not quite big enough to hold 2 bottles of Scotch though.

The photo I linked to was merely to demonstrate the concept. Obviously Zac's actual booze helmet includes larger bottle holders...and a full-face black mask with a wheezy respirator.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
The greatest disappointment I can recall about the way an anime ended was for Mushi-Uta. Early on, that seemed like one of the coolest shows ever to me, moving at an exciting pace, skillfully revealling clues in a not-too-difficult and not-too-easy manner, and I loved it. Whereas much of the anime I watch barely holds my attention, Mushi-Uta was entrancing and, to my surprise, I actually remembered everything that had happened when an episode was over. Then, after episode nine, it was like an entirely different crew had taken over and had discarded everything that I loved about the show. It must have been one of those shows that follow an incomplete manga faithfully, then slap together a conclusion when the catch up to the last volume that has been released.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Before I had a good 400+ people on my back about my likes and dislikes but now, just two roomates.

A lock would do nicely with them. Yes, all I need do is put it on a chain...

Oh dear, I'm afraid I have an entirely too dirty mind....

- abunai
Captain Out-of-Context

I'm surprised...I expected more of a why would you commit violence? type of reaction.

Believe me, if I could deal with them that way I probably would. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
louieatrest wrote:
You know, Hamlet could have been a really great play if it wasn't for the ending. I mean you spend three hours getting to know the characters and then they all die, just as they were starting to understand each other. The play had some great lines and some good action, but now that the characters are all dead, they will no longer be any more wit coming out of Hamlet's mouth, ever. Also, the heroine turns out to be really dead at the end. What was the point of introducing her at all if not to have her reappear at the end so Hamlet could finally be happy? I do not know what the writers were thinking. Hamlet could have been one of the best plays in the english language, ever, if it was not for that terrible ending.

Funny! Very Happy
And WHY is the English language trashed like that, anyway? Didn't the writers watch BET in writing school???!!! Anime hyper
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:

The ending for the Chobits anime has to be the ending that has disappointed me most. It explained nothing and I found it to be rather anti-climatic. It probably didn't help that I read the manga ending first.

From what I remember of the anime spoiler[we didn't even get to see a kiss at the end]. Perhaps I might just have forgotten it though. I know I'm a sucker for romance anime but I feel that if spoiler[both partners are alive and well at the end and yet they only hug], it doesn't really wrap things up for the viewer. The ending did its job though, jerking a tear or two from me in the process. Some day I might rewatch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

Moomintroll wrote:
Do you feel any real sense of community among your fellow fans?

Certainly.

Do you feel any real sense of community with your fellow fans?

Not so much...

This largely echoes my sentiments as well. Some might view it as a sign of the medium's maturing that the fandom has repositioned itself to a per-show basis, as is the case with television, film, and books. But the sum total of us all is still comparatively small compared to all of them, so it all ends up as niches within niches within a niche. Then again, being in your mid-20s effectively makes you twice the age of a great deal of "the anime community" anyway.

All too true, I'm afraid. Compared to the children, I'm positively an octogenarian. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7