• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: "Otaku" Murderer Tsutomu Miyazaki Executed on Tuesday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steel Angel: Actually, your last link says that Texas violent crime went up, even though it's the death penalty capital of the country.

You looked at raw numbers by year, not population ratio to crime rate.

In other words, it went down.

Edit the ratio for you:

1994: 1 murder for every 9,089 people in the state.
Before concealed hand gun laws and death penalty.

2006: 1 murder for every 16,985 people in the state.
Current with concealed hand gun laws and death penalty.

I'm too lazy to do the math to get the exact percentage for you, but i think this shows it well enough. The higher the number compared to 1, the less crime there was. The exact numbers to calculate this was specifically from "population" vs "murder".

Looks like it works to me.

Last edited by Steel Angel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batman3777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steel Angel: Actually, your last link says that Texas violent crime went up, even though it's the death penalty capital of the country.

if you read further you'll see the murder rate dropped in the "death penalty capital" of the country. Try reading the WHOLE thing instead of just what you want to read.
wintermoon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
As with several other subjects, the death penalty is one that will always have those who are for and against it. I will remark that I'm surprised that this subject has gone so far in this thread. Not only that, but it has actually remained fairly civil as well.

Personally, I have no problem with the death penalty. Looking at this case in particular (where there was no doubt this person committed the crime and no remorse shown by the offender), I think this was the correct action to take.

I'm a parent. I have two children, one of which is a little girl who will turn four in August. What the parents of the murdered children went through...well, I don't want to think about it. It could be my child that is a victim one day. If that happens, I don't think that I'm going to be happy while the person who murdered my child sits in a jail cell while I am helping to pay for his food, clothing, workout facility, healthcare, library access, and higher education.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that I want him to be tortured to death, but I have no problem with them falling asleep and not waking up. If the offender shows no remorse, then spending life in prison isn't much of a punishment.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
If I may say something here...

I dont think Miyazaki's 'life imprisonment' before he was executed was even really a punishment. Why? Because apparently, he spent all these years living in exactly the same way he did before he was convicted; shut up in a small room reading manga and watching anime. If it was a 'punishment', I think he should have been denied books/videos.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Steel: Then you could argue that tougher gun laws helped reduce the crime rates, since the death penalty was there before those gun laws, and the rates still went up.

Batman: It dropped, but not significantly.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steel: Then you could argue that tougher gun laws helped reduce the crime rates, since the death penalty was there before those gun laws, and the rates still went up.

Batman: It dropped, but not significantly.

Where are you getting this "went up" from?

The year the death penalty went into effect all violent crime dropped 20% (or more) and a lot more in some areas.

The hand gun law further added to this decrease in violent crime rate. And it wasn't a tougher gun law. It was a law that allowed law abiding citizens the ability to get permits to carry a concealed hand gun. Prior to that law it was illegal to carry a concealed fire arm of any kind. English vernacular: It allowed people who could legally do so to start packing and be able to defend themselves. In other words if someone was going to consider committing a violent crime they better think twice, cause the person they try it against might have a weapon of their own, and would be with in legal rights to defend themselves with deadly force if their lives are threatened.

So where are you pulling this statement from?

Do you just not understand ratios and statistics? I'm not trying to be insulting here, but the numbers by year are there.

Last edited by Steel Angel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
And basically what you're saying is "don't punish anyone for anything, it won't help." Yeah. Great idea, that.
Yes, because in countries where there is no death penalty, they just let murders go, don't they? It's all or nothing with you isn't it?
Murasakisuishou wrote:
HellKorn wrote:

Whose life do they threaten when behind bars?
Other prisoners who might not be murderers
Obviously solitary confinement and standard procedure concerning weapons and what items prisoners are allowed to have doesn't exist in prisons anymore.
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
I'm pretty sure there were pedophiles in that prefecture,it's just that Miyazaki was the only one that got caught and who stooped to murder.
Oh please, you can't tell me that Miyazaki was the ONLY sex offender to be caught in that region? That's absurd.
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
This article seems a bit misleading, how can he say that Miyazaki wasn't a sex offender? It's pretty clear that he was no matter how you look at it. Yeah you can assume that the case details are just theories rather then historic fact. But i'm tempted to believe that the prosecutors argues were with merit.
The article is saying that in terms of sexual aspect of the murders, going by evidence there was none. It seems the author has seen at least some of the prosecutor's evidence by the sound of it, so the article seems to make som valid points. To a degree, I think the case was distorted somewhat by the Japanese media.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

if you read further you'll see the murder rate dropped in the "death penalty capital" of the country. Try reading the WHOLE thing instead of just what you want to read.

Murder rate in Austin for 2007 was up by 50% over 2006 (31 vs 21).

2006 was a slow year for murder in Texas.

/*shrug
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm a christian otaku and am very moderate in alot of veiws. Even though I live i n Texas, i'm a Californian. I'm anti Bush BTW and have been against the Iraq war since the beginning sorry for going OT.

But the Death Penalty is a mixed bag for me, in Texas,California,Oregon,Illnois,most of the deep south,and plains it's legal. but in Washington and New england it's outlawed. the death penaltly itself should be properly imposed and while I support it, I believe certian states like Texas,Florida,Missori should not be allowed to have it because they abuse it by executing too many innocent people and convict way too many people based on eyewitness testomony. Texas is the state leading in botched executions where DNA proves that the inmates were falsely convicted for a crime they didn't commit. I don't trust this state's justice system plus I believe that if a killer is remorseful about his crimes he deserves to be spared the death penalty. Our jerkoff president showed no mercy when he was governor when he ordered a christian woman named Carla Faye Tucker to be executed for a crime she had commited before her conversion and igonred her pleas for mercy.(Everytime I hear about this case it pisses me off considering that asshole Bush pardoned Scooter Libby.) Sorry for getting OT.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Thread locked for:

Blatant ad hominem attacks.
Excessive invocation of Scripture / Hitler / Kermit the Frog.
No on-topic remarks to speak of.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7