• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa USA Announces Six New Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
From my EXP, I belive it goes like this:

Ah, so you work for an anime company and have access to sales data?

DmonHiro wrote:

Ninomiya: dub+sub - no chance, sub only - small chance

Ahahahahahahaha. You're "EXP" sure isn't worth much. This is exactly the kind of thing that does sell.

CCSYueh wrote:
Key wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
ADV doesn't seem to play well with others. THey left Geneon in the cold.

Everything I've heard indicates that ADV was not the one to blame in that incident; it was all Dentsu.

There were comments bandied about a few days before the deal fell apart that indicated ADV was making a U-Turn (ADV insiders reported here, wasn't it?) on the decision.

I remember NewtypeCJ commenting on what he knew (not firsthand, mind you) about the Newtype deal going south. I don't think he said anything about the ADV/Geneon deal. Nor has anyone else, as far as I know.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:50 am Reply with quote
I have a question. If Kadokawa USA licensed all of these titles, how come ANN hasn't considered them licensed? I looked at all the titles and they're still considered unlicensed.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I have a question. If Kadokawa USA licensed all of these titles, how come ANN hasn't considered them licensed? I looked at all the titles and they're still considered unlicensed.

They aren't licensed, in the traditional sense yet. Consider it the same as if Toei or some other JApanese company basically made a statement like "We intend to sell this anime in the US".

So far no announcements have been made of who will actually be producing the DVDs, localization work, etc. Nor has Kadokawa actually said that they have found someone to do the work yet.
So for all intensive purposes we should interpret it as a very strong statement of "intent" by Kadokawa, but nothing definite yet.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote
Oh. Okay. Just wondered.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Key wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Everything I've heard indicates that ADV was not the one to blame in that incident; it was all Dentsu.

There were comments bandied about a few days before the deal fell apart that indicated ADV was making a U-Turn (ADV insiders reported here, wasn't it?) on the decision. My personal theory was ADV inspected at their own house while deciding if they could afford the Geneon deal & discovered a leaky roof or something because the Newtype & Sojitz thing all seemed to follow fast on that decision.
Strikethrough added.

To be honest, this is always what I had assumed as well. Of course I have no proof or insider information, but it just follows logically especially after seeing what we are now. If we are to believe ADV, then they never meshed from the start, as we heard a few days ago from them. I'd be interested in what Key's theories are though, if he would like to make a quick rundown.

Though to be honest, Dentsu is not high on my confidence list either. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Key wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

There were comments bandied about a few days before the deal fell apart that indicated ADV was making a U-Turn (ADV insiders reported here, wasn't it?) on the decision. My personal theory was ADV inspected at their own house while deciding if they could afford the Geneon deal & discovered a leaky roof or something because the Newtype & Sojitz thing all seemed to follow fast on that decision.
Strikethrough added.

To be honest, this is always what I had assumed as well. Of course I have no proof or insider information, but it just follows logically especially after seeing what we are now. If we are to believe ADV, then they never meshed from the start, as we heard a few days ago from them. I'd be interested in what Key's theories are though, if he would like to make a quick rundown.

Though to be honest, Dentsu is not high on my confidence list either. Confused

I'm not going to dig thru page after page of comments, but as I recall it was an ADV VA or someone reporting an ADV VA on their website saying the Geneon deal wasn't going to happen as posted on one of the several forums here discussing the issue. Something like-just wait XX said it's not happening about a week or so before the deal fell apart.
Yeah, I discounted it when it was said (typical forum bull/yeah VA's know everything, right?) because I trusted ADV was sincerely in talks with Geneon to distribute their catalog, but sure enough the deal did go south. That does make it a tad more suspicious that ADV was spending money like water until the credit card got declined & were a tad surprised when they checked their bankbook
balance & found a lot less bucks than they thought they had

Dentsu-yeah, they're a cold, heartless business with an eye to their bottom line. They didn't give a rat's rear about American fans. They needed to save XX yen. CLosing the US franchise saved XX amount of it. They tried to keep an opening to continue to make money with less risk of damage (so people said last fall about ADV would be taking on the potential of returns at no risk to Geneon).
I do know those sales ADV had all the time on their website offering stuff very cheap were often cut-outs. Some of the dvds I got still had Best Buy price tags on them so I was always amazed at the amount of returns ADV had on their titles to offer those sales as often as they did. I wondered if they were over-pressing the amount of dvds for each title.
poonk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
Yeah! I'm so excited Junjou got licensed. I hope they put it out in a box set so I can have it all ASAP. Very Happy
Yes! Preferably with some sort of fun extra, like a chick keychain or something (that's "chick" as in baby chicken, not "girl," of course Laughing ). Either way, though, it will be mine. (...eventually... I hope).

kyokun703 wrote:
It might be split because Junjou isn't really that explicit. Many yaoi fans want full on nudity, glowing cones of light, etc. The sex scenes in JR (the anime, not the manga) are obviously sex scenes, but they don't really show anything. It's like a PG13 sex scene. (The manga is more hardcore R).
Initially I was a little worried they were gonna cut all the sex scenes for TV (which would've removed a lot of the comedy, since Misaki's extreme embarrassment is a key component) but I think those scenes were actually done really well-- they were sexy without being graphic (unlike, say, the Level C OVA, with it's "invisible" bits Shocked , which was graphic without being sexy).

the_seventh_l wrote:
I'm just waiting for someone to adapt Kizuna into a decent anime series Confused
I'll double that, especially since the English-translation manga is in limbo...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7