• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kannagi.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It's not filler, I heard about the Karaoke manga chapter ages ago.

Sorry, I meant filler in the sense that it doesn't seem to impact the over-arching story of the series, not that it was filler not found in the manga. Afterall, even manga can have bits of fluff story lines. I was in such a hurry to write that before leaving for the day I didn't explain myself well. I haven't even read the manga... orz Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Anyway, only 3 episodes to go which doesn't seem like enough to move the story very far along. Hopefully having the manga on an indefinite hiatus doesn't kill our chances for a second season.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
motaku96

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, only 13 episodes to go which doesn't seem like enough to move the story very far along. Hopefully having the manga on an indefinite doesn't kill our chances for a second season.

ummm...you mean 3 right? i'm pretty sure kannagi only has 13 episodes total.
cloud7jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
I Wish Kannagi have Season 2 ahaha its deserve to have one Anime hyper
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
motaku96 wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, only 13 episodes to go which doesn't seem like enough to move the story very far along. Hopefully having the manga on an indefinite doesn't kill our chances for a second season.

ummm...you mean 3 right? i'm pretty sure kannagi only has 13 episodes total.

*cough* Yes... don't know how that one got in there... Looks like I forgot to put "hiatus" in after "indefinite", too. Embarassed

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I think after the next 3 episodes you would see why they included the karaoke chapter as episode 10, especially considering how popular the support characters are in this series. You should be able to guess the direction of the last 3 episodes by next eps preview and Jin's words.
motaku96

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 was interesting. That was quite a revelation. spoiler[I never even considered the possibility that Nagi wasn't a god or that she doesn't remember anything about her past. That would explain why she gets angry when Jin asks her questions. ]Things are definitely getting serious. Hmmm...only 2 more episodes. I hope they give it a satisfying ending and not some thrown together at the last minute thing.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Eh.

Good start, extremely boring middle, ok end. I just really don't care to hear about the child hood friend, the magical "I'm living with you girl" and the always antagonist to the live-in mate. It's so old and I didn't see any fresh ideas here.

As if I want to see another karoake episode or watch another mundane scene I've seen in 20 other anime. I really wanted to like this anime and while I don't think it was bad, I can't say I felt much afterward.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
While I'll agree that it's not entirely original (but what is these days?) I don't agree with you in that I found Kannagi to be a really fun series, and I am really sorry to see it end after 13 episodes (especially considering such an open ending, where spoiler[Jin discovers he has feelings for Nagi, Tsugumi discovers she has feelings for Jin, Nagi gets to watch the first 13 eps of loliko kyuutii and you don't really find out the history and or future of Zange or Nagi.]

I mean the only conclusion we've been given is that spoiler[they all go back to living how they were living, but that doesn't tell us anything about the conclusions they draw about Nagi's past, only that she really is the land's deity (which I never really doubted since Jin saw her when she was younger).] Still at least they didn't try to conclude absolutely everything in 25 minutes because that would have turned out awfully I think. And the end stayed true to the overall style of the anime, ie taking a serious moment and making it hilarious - spoiler[Tsugumi hitting her head on the door and wall with her mouth hanging open, omg I nearly died laughing!]

Overall I really liked the series but I would have liked it better if there was more.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
I'm in that middle camp where it was enjoyable but not as great as I expected from the first few episodes. The art club initiation ep, in particular, was my favorite (if only for Tsugumi's little victory dance Smile). There were some great moments along the way, but more of them in the first half. The serious turn, while usual for this type of anime, felt a bit out of place, though I can see the necessity to set up the ending. Not having read the manga, I also don't know if it matches that storyline.

The wrap-up was well-paced and satisfying. Jin and Nagi's portrayals were quite authentic, and not the usual tossed off emo scenes. The final scene, to me a subtle parody of that great cliche, was perfectly capped by Tsugumi's reaction that Skylark mentioned as well as Nagi's little comment. I would have liked to see a lot more of Tsugumi's humor in the show, actually. The characters are wonderfully crafted, and unique enough that they don't immediately remind me of others. And you can't argue with the animation quality. (The raws or encodes were all so poor, though, that I would really like to watch it again in DVD.)

I am all for a second season. It certainly feels like the middle instead of the end. So much story has been set up by these episodes. As mentioned, we still know so little about Nagi and Zange, and the thread with Hakua(Zange)'s father... completely ignored in these episodes, but there is an entire arc just in that situation.

The series was popular in Japan, nearly equal with Toradora! last I noticed, so chances are good we will see more.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 ended with the exact same scene as the last scene of Volume 3 of the manga. The very next chapter continues the story, name a loose thread and it's in the least explained if not fully addressed at some point in the manga.

Goddess Nagi? Check. What Jin did to Tsugumi he felt guilty about? Check. Zange/Hauka backstory? Yep. More stuff on whether Nagi is a god or not? Of course. The one Nagi told Tsugumi she liked in episode 2? Well if you know anything about the recent manga "scandal" than you should know the answer to that. They even explain how Jin became friends with Daitetsu.

pparker wrote:
The series was popular in Japan, nearly equal with Toradora! last I noticed, so chances are good we will see more.

Well going by 2ch Kannagi is more popular, here's the amount of threads (1000 posts in each thread) for the top 5 new shows (no sequels) from this fall season.

Kannagi 107
Toradora! 95
Ga-Rei Zero 78
A Certain Magical Index 65
Kurogane no Linebarrel 38

Of course these pale in comparisons to stuff like Gundam, Geass, Macross and Clannad but that's expected.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
I need to get my hands on a more up to date version of the manga, clearly.....
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Episode 13 ended with the exact same scene as the last scene of Volume 3 of the manga. The very next chapter continues the story, name a loose thread and it's in the least explained if not fully addressed at some point in the manga.

You nailed every plot line that I was too lazy to try and list. I had no doubts the manga would eventually handle them. The writing is excellent for the show, so I expected no less from the mangaka. I rarely read manga, but if we don't get a second season soon I will definitely pick this one up.

Westlo wrote:
Well going by 2ch Kannagi is more popular, here's the amount of threads (1000 posts in each thread) for the top 5 new shows (no sequels) from this fall season.

Kannagi 107
Toradora! 95
Ga-Rei Zero 78
A Certain Magical Index 65
Kurogane no Linebarrel 38

Ouch! Linebarrel? Guess you gotta have your mecha fix once a season, but I barely made it through one episode. Thanks for the numbers. I don't know Japanese, so can't get them. But I'm surprised Kannagi surpassed Toradora! based on the initial fan reactions in the U.S. as well as Japan. I always liked Kannagi more and felt Toradora! was over-hyped, though it too has its moments, and I'll watch it when it's done. I did have too high expectations going in based on the cast (and little for Kannagi), but I also think it has to do with 5 lead tsundere roles is finally enough from Rie Kugimiya Smile.
orochimaruSanin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
The first season[*hint*] of Kannagi has finally ended. Some thoughts:

- It was good thing that they didn't end up stuffing all the important stuff in the last episode like most of the anime out there leaving room and hope[?] for a second season.

- The harem still remains given that Jin hasn't voiced his feelings, at least not in public, *yet*.

- Like others have already observed, there are a lot of interesting things still left hanging like "Who really is Nagi?", "Who really is Zhange chan?" and lot many subtle hints dropped in between episodes.

- It's interesting to note that Tsugumi and the others still think that Nagi is Jins' sister [ouch!]. The expression of Tsugumi spoiler[when she saw Jin on top of Nagi was awesome. It seems that Tsugumi still can't understand the mixed feelings she harbors for Jin and what she personally thinks of Jin and Nagis' relationship.]

A nice anime overall; it was one of those anime along with Toradora, A certain magical index and Akane Iro ni somaru which I used to eagerly wait for. I would very much like to see the next season with a bit more romance packed in and Jin choosing one of the girls from the harem.

-san
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:00 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
But I'm surprised Kannagi surpassed Toradora! based on the initial fan reactions in the U.S. as well as Japan. I always liked Kannagi more and felt Toradora! was over-hyped, though it too has its moments, and I'll watch it when it's done. I did have too high expectations going in based on the cast (and little for Kannagi), but I also think it has to do with 5 lead tsundere roles is finally enough from Rie Kugimiya :).

Initially Toradora had more discussion but I think at some point around episode 4 Kannagi took the lead (and this was before the manga scandal) and it hasn't looked back. No real surprise really since Nagi has much more "charisma" than any of the cast in Toradora.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
What are we talking about? The volume of discussion or series quality? The main thread for Kannagi has 7 pages, while Toradora is up to 19. Last I checked, 19>7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8