• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flipped/Unflipped

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious what people's opinions are about flipped or unflipped manga. Does it matter if it's either way?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:03 pm Reply with quote
i prefer unflipped as its cheaper and faster for the companys to put out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Blakerson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:13 am Reply with quote
I prefer the original unflipped version, and now that someone else mentioned it, it would be cheaper to not edit that drastically.
Case

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:35 am Reply with quote
isaacada1 wrote:
I'm curious what people's opinions are about flipped or unflipped manga. Does it matter if it's either way?

Doesn't really matter to me. I read so little manga that release times and price have never really bothered me much. If I happen to like a particular series/book for some reason, I'll pick it up at any decent price facing either direction.

You might say that makes me unrepresentative of... well... anything, but in a way I think I do. I'm just your casual manga reader. I pick them up on a whim when the situation presents itself and when I find something I think is especailly interesting or relevant to other things I may be enjoying at the moment.

(For reference, my manga collection consists of Initial D volume 1, Steam Detectives 1, X Prelude, and I think another one or two random books; for the time being, anyway.)
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Unflipped - for some reason it just seems to be a bit easyer to read, and the art seems to flow a bit better as well.
Aurora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I read either way- where I live, manga and anime are hard enough to find without being picky about flipped-unflipped! But overall, I prefer unflipped, simply because, even though it took time to get used to, its more original and flows a little bit better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kogechan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Unflipped is the way to go.

Maybe because I'm used to it now.... ^^;;
Rex Hondo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
Unflipped is definitely my format of choice, though it's by no means a deal breaker. It was never a HUGE issue, but when I read things like the Tenchi and Star Wars manga, there's always that little detail-oriented voice in the back of my head wanting to know just why the heck everybody is suddenly left-handed... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Mreow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd choose unflipped any time.

(_//=^_^=\\_)

Mreow
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:00 am Reply with quote
It appears that only Studio Proteus is still releasing flipped manga here in North America.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:18 am Reply with quote
Oh my goddess is still flipped.
Mreow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:57 am Reply with quote
I prefer unflipped manga (with original soundeffects) but I have no problem reading both ways.

(_//=^_^=\\_)

Mreow
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:36 am Reply with quote
I perfer unflipped, but without the original soundeffects. Unflipped is cheap and its fast to publish. Keeping the original soundeffects annoys me because I don't know what those words say, can they just put a page in the end that translate what those soundeffects mean in English!
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Kanna no Mai wrote:
I perfer unflipped, but without the original soundeffects. Unflipped is cheap and its fast to publish. Keeping the original soundeffects annoys me because I don't know what those words say, can they just put a page in the end that translate what those soundeffects mean in English!
VIZ has started to provide sound effect translations in the back of the book. Saw it in Excel Saga vol. 1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:58 am Reply with quote
I don't care, but over on the Comics Journal board someone made the point that when we read unflopped we're reading the visuals right-to-left but still reading the word ballons left-to-right, so we have to keep shifting gears, back and forth. I think this has always been a minor problem for me in reading unflipped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2