• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Manga's

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RX-7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:57 pm Reply with quote
What other manga's from tokyopop has been edited besides Initial D?
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not really so much an edit as it is a limitation of the English language, but they gave defined sexuality to the angel and demon characters of Wish.

Our language really doesn't have a term for a being that is "none of the above", so to speak. It's not exactly as if they took a total crapshoot on what gender they would be if they had one, Kohaku can easily be seen a female and Koryu as male.

Plus it was nothing that changed the story.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't have an answer to your question at all. I just wanted to tell you that your name, RX-7 brings back fond memories from high school!

Thank you!
RX-7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Im glad to hear that.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:09 am Reply with quote
Battle Roya.....

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

I couldn't keep a straight face.... Just Kidding.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:10 am Reply with quote
LuppyLuptonium wrote:
Battle Roya.....

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

I couldn't keep a straight face.... Just Kidding.

why the kidding it has been rescripted. Its more of a adaptation instead of a translation.

not really a butchering per say but still not excact couse unless one has seen the movie and read the novel you wouldnt know.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
animaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:28 pm Reply with quote
well it seems love hina has been "westernized" just a tad here and there. No biggie. It also annoys me with all the typos. haven't read many of there manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Is there any chance of Tokyopop releasing unedited Initial D manga? I only got the first volume and I don't want to waste any money on the edited manga.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:25 am Reply with quote
Fat chance
jerowen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Louie-kun wrote:
Is there any chance of Tokyopop releasing unedited Initial D manga? I only got the first volume and I don't want to waste any money on the edited manga.

i don't see that happening... well... ever. but feel free to join me in my quest to attempt to find a fan translation (not scans, just text) of initial d.

--
jero
Rooboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Hm... I was thinking of picking up the manga for Chobits. Does anyone notice any severe edits in this series? This would be my first venture into manga, so I would like it to be a good quality series. Thanks for any input.
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:50 am Reply with quote
I know there have been some changes to Love Hina from what I saw of the Fanscans. Though I do like what they did, there are added lines and changed lines made to fit the West.
che_guevara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I read GTO, volume 1, the fansub, then I bought the manga from TokyoPop.

Saying it's "editing" is not accurate. Nothing has been taken out. It's just that some things are necessary.

For example, in GTO volume 1, in the beginning, when Onizuka has a confrontation with the two "bullies", he says "Give me your *insert brand name of sneakers* and those G-shocks".

The Tokyo Pop translation was different. It didn't give a brand name for the sneakers, and later, it said they were Nikes. ALso, not everyone in the US knows what the G-shock is, so they just replaced it. If it had been in there, it would've been more confusing.

Anyway, I still agree that unedited is better if you are acquainted with Japanese culture. I have a huge amount of fansubbed manga (Love Hina, Naruto, berserk, Bastard, GTO, Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter...). They are sometimes more confusing than the Tokyopop manga, but authentic, anyways. The main problem with fansubbed manga is that you can't trust that the translation is accurate. The translator might have exaggerated, or understated, or the translator didn't understand what the manga said at all... You just get the best you can.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow... no one has mentioned any early Tokyopop titles yet. Stuff from when they were known as Mixx...

Sailor Moon. This is perhaps the most edited of all Tokyopop's manga in an attempt to make it familar to the DIC dub fans. >.> An abomination when compared to their newer releases in manga, but I forgive them since tokyopop WAS fairly new then. Names are the main thing, but I've also heard of things such as nudity. I'm not sure of the later because I don't really have the original manga to compare to.

Sorcerer Hunters is another manga that has been edited. I'm not sure if the actual tanks/volumes have been, but they edited out a lot of Chocolate in the Tokyopop Magazine when they were releasing it.

Then, when going to lighter edits, manga such as Cardcaptor Sakura have had name changes to... I don't know, make them easier for kids to read?

*is wishing for Tokyopop to rerelease their sailor moon manga into the 100% manga line, but doesn't see it happening anytime soon*
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:50 pm Reply with quote
^^

Why not? Tokyopop is fixing to rerelease CCS in the 100% manga format. They have already rereleased Magic Knights Rayearth (their first magna series ever) in the 100% format.

I would think that Sailor Moon would be just a matter of time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2