• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Windows 10 Mascot Officially Introduced as 'Tōko'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:20 am Reply with quote
People can say what they want about the privacy information and forced updates. I'm still surprised people complain about it considering we knew it was going this route years, if not, decades ago. Not to mention Microsoft isn't the first one to do this type of stuff, nor will it be the last. We all still double-down onto systems like these regardless of the problems (I know I do).

I will say Windows 10 has been the smoothest roll out for the computers I support in all the time I've been working on PCs and its the most stable system. I have yet to have a problem with any of the computers that have the new OS.

Now OS-tan... I ran the Madobe Nanami theme for a while and I found I muted the sounds after a while. They were funny to use to get my friends to take a double-look and wonder what the heck that was, but that's about it. Just another marketing stance after the mascots went viral with the first couple.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Naturally there's no word from the Windows Vista mascot. Poor thing locked in that closet littered with bugs.

Sure there's hentai of that somewhere.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
Mascot she may be but is she actually used anywhere? Would be cool if she were like a piece of downloadable AI software.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Mascot she may be but is she actually used anywhere? Would be cool if she were like a piece of downloadable AI software.
Isn't that Cortana?
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Isn't that Cortana?

Hm, interesting. They even named her after a halo character.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Here's hoping that there will be some way for foreigners to see Touko Madobe appear on their laptops; I have a feeling that some are probably going to need her to offset harrowing feeling of the fact that Windows 10 is heading straight to our laptops, with no way to stop its advance.
It gets better: now they're forcing the download on domain computers. Let's hope they don't start forcing the installation or accidentally hit enterprise; even the power of Office can't save them then.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What, you mean like touchscreen monitors?

Probably more like tablets and laptops. A lot of tablets run a full version of windows. In fact that is the only reason I ever picked one up myself (have an ipad collecting dust though). There have also been laptops with touch screens for quite a while.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Isn't that Cortana?

Hm, interesting. They even named her after a halo character.

Heh, that was the point. It is her. Laughing

How Cortana Comes to Life

• Cortana was first available for our Windows Phone customers, who told us they love having Cortana support them and help them get things done. On January 21 we shared that for the first time, Cortana will come to PC and tablets later this year with the release of Windows 10

Our approach on personality includes defining a voice with an actual personality. This included writing a detailed personality, and laying out how we wanted Cortana to be perceived.

One of the things we debated quite a bit during the planning process was our decision to include an actual shape to embody Cortana. We explored a variety of concepts ranging from using colors on notifications to simple geometric shapes to a full blown human-like avatar. In the end we worked with the creative team at 343 (the studio that develops Halo!) and landed on something we think makes Cortana feel more alive than if we just used a voice.

Cortana is programmed to respond to different questions and present different answers based on the grid of emotions and states below. If Cortana correctly answers your question and is happy, Cortana will let you know. If Cortana can’t understand you, there will be slight embarrassment.

Even kept the same voice actress from Halo too (Jen Taylor - also voice of Princess Peach):

• The name started from a simple suggestion from Windows Phone program manager Robert Howard in an early planning meeting. "It was just a codename, it stuck," explains Marcus Ash, group program manager of Windows Phone.

Up until a few weeks ago, it was hit and miss whether Cortana would be the final name. It could have been Naomi, Alyx, or a number of other suggestions, but leaks and a petition to use the Cortana name helped sway Microsoft’s decision.

Microsoft has also worked closely with Halo developer 343 Industries on the eyelike visual elements and voice actress Jen Taylor for the sound of Cortana. Taylor is the voice behind Princess Peach, Toad, and Toadette in various Mario games, but she’s best known for her role as Cortana in the Halo series. For Halo fans — and there are a lot of them — having Jen Taylor as the voice of Cortana in Windows Phone is a big deal

If you ask "‘What’s up with Master Chief,’" or anything related to the Covenant, then you’ll get a Taylor response. (If you want some more Halo-related fun with Cortana, you can just set your nickname as "Master Chief" in the settings.)

Incidentally, here's a little help, just in case: Stop Windows 10 spying dead in its tracks with one free app

• Enter DoNotSpy10, a new free app from German developer pXc-coding. Moving beyond the key settings we discussed earlier, this app creates a centralized interface where users can quickly and easily adjust settings related to 37 different features that have a direct impact on security and privacy. This means that instead of combing through a dozen different settings screens in Windows 10, users can adjust all of their privacy and security settings in one place.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Probably more like tablets and laptops. A lot of tablets run a full version of windows. In fact that is the only reason I ever picked one up myself (have an ipad collecting dust though). There have also been laptops with touch screens for quite a while.

Oh, I never even thought about tablets that run Windows, as I'm very used to seeing just iPads and Android-based ones.

How common are Windows laptops with touch screens? Every laptop I've gotten is from Apple, so I've never had one with a touch screen.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
i'm not so sure about windows 10...

their plan about making it into a yearly subscription like some anti-virus software concerns me..
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

their plan about making it into a yearly subscription like some anti-virus software concerns me..

It's not a yearly subscription. Once ya have it, it's yours to keep forever and ever.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

It's not a yearly subscription. Once ya have it, it's yours to keep forever and ever.

it's not that though...

I read about it that it's their plan to turn windows 10 into a subscription based like their Office 365 Confused

so i'm not in a hurry to upgrade.. just yet..

they stated that all PCs that come out after August 11? or 17?.. will have Windows 10 preinstalled... so when you are buying a new system you will get Windows 10 anyway.

me, i just want to keep the windows 7 i have for now. I heard it's not much of an improvement from windows 7 anyway..
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll be sticking to Windows 7 until this system dies, and I imagine there'll be some new flavor of Windows out by then. I heard that 10 doesn't even have Aero, so the title bars for windows are all a flat color. Sounds like a downgrade to me.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'll be sticking to Windows 7 until this system dies, and I imagine there'll be some new flavor of Windows out by then. I heard that 10 doesn't even have Aero, so the title bars for windows are all a flat color. Sounds like a downgrade to me.

It uses tiles, just like Win 8 did. And it seems like it locks down your system to an even greater degree than before, not to mention all the personal info it collects.

I, too, will be staying with Win 7 Pro, probably for good. I don't like the direction MS is heading these days.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

It uses tiles, just like Win 8 did.

It's a combo of tiles/apps and desktop. The Metro tiles/apps are put into the old Start button, along with the desktop programs:

The big thing for gamers is the DirectX 12 thing and the tie-up with Xbox, and as usual Best Buy is promoting it with a 40-inch TV:

• Starting this week, Best Buy is offering a Black Friday-esque deal, where you can buy a Xbox One Halo Master Chief Collection Bundle along with a 40-inch Samsung Smart HDTV for only $500. Given the Xbox is priced at $300 and the J series Samsung 40-inch is at around $430 – you’re looking at ~$280 in savings (provided you’re planning to buy a TV around this size anyways). The caveat is that you’ll only be able to find this combo deal at your local Best Buy, given the online stock sold out within 20 minutes as the deal went live earlier this AM. So if you’re interested, we recommend heading to your local store ASAP.

Update: The bundle is now back in stock online as of writing. Unknown when it’ll run out of stock again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3