• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accents In Anime Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:16 am Reply with quote
Well,getchman. My view is different. I had no problems with the accents in "Infinite Stratos." I liked them a lot. Your opinion is different than mine. It's no big deal to me. If you don't like accents in anime dubs,than that's up to you. I don't really have a problem with them. I do agree with you on this. It should be up to an ADR director whether an accent should be used in a dub or not. My view is that if the anime is set in a place where those accents are to be used,than it's better to have them and have the place feel more authentic than not. But,that's just me. You feel differently and I respect that.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:25 am Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone here has watched "Zom 100:Bucket List of the Dead,"a recent episode introduced one of it's most interesting characters. Her name is Beatrix Amerhauser. And,to be perfectly frank,she's cute. Thankfully,there's more to her than a pretty face. She's very good at annihilating zombies with abandon. Her martial arts expertise would make Bruce Lee proud.
Once again,while her German accent doesn't appear in the Japanese version,it does appear in the English version. Now,there are those who say it's stereotypical,but I don't see the harm in it. The way it's done by Laura Post just adds to her character as this sweet,adorable girl who's loved Japanese culture since she was little. She's a lot like many foreigners who enjoy stuff like anime and wants to go and visit Japan. Sadly for her,she had the misfortune to visit the country during a zombie apocalypse there. In a way,her fighting skills and knowledge of weapons comes in real handy in that situation. So,we've got a beautiful girl who's also an amazing fighter all wrapped up in a gorgeous package as her adorable accent as the bow on top.

Let's be honest here. It's hard not not to like an amazing and lovely character like Ms. Amerhauser. It's also hard not to see her appeal. She's just so fun to watch and her German accent fits her real well. It's not for nothing,she's one of the most popular characters in "Zom 100." It's a shame that the Japanese version didn't give her a similar accent. I wonder what a German accent is like in Japanese? I guess it's one of those questions that we might not ever get an answer to.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
I think why people hate these accents in anime dub is because they can become borderline stereotyping like with children’s anime dubs in the 90s and 2000s.
Flash33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:35 am Reply with quote
While I do see your point I'd counter argue that focusing on it too much could end you up in a catch-22 situation: authentic accents but mediocre or bad overall performances, or no accents but good/great overall performances. This can be especially jarring if the cast started using an accent when they didn't previously, such as with the English dub of Violet Evergarden (no accents in the tv show, accents in the movie, same voice cast for both, which came off as jarring when I first heard them). There's also the issue of finding people who have an authentic accent, can give a good performance and lives in or around the area the voices are being recorded at. While one could always delay the airing to find authentic actors, at what point does the cost outweigh the benefits?

Personally while I wouldn't mind more dubs to use authentic accents if they can, at the end of the day I feel the quality of the performances overall should take priority if accent authentic VAs that can also give solid performances can't be found if that makes sense.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:32 am Reply with quote
Well,mgree0032,Flash33,I tend to agree with you to a certain extent. You have to walk a very fine line when you use an accent,especially in an English anime dub. If you don't,you end up having the anime's setting feel inauthentic. On the other hand,do it wrong and it can end up becoming stereotypical. For me,I tend to fall on the side of making the person or setting feel authentic,so I tend to go with having the accents there. Now,that's just my judgment. Usually,it's up to the director to see how this should be handled.
With Beatrix Amerhauser,they did a good job with her and I felt that the accent was handled well. But again,it's up to the directors and those behind the scenes to make up their own minds about this,not me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2