• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed on Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
okendri wrote:
Since Adult Swim is on saturday now, that audience has a chance to see Seed as opposed to a week night run which would have limited that audience.

This is actually a good point. By putting Gundam SEED & Inu-Yasha on Saturday, Cartoon Netwotrk can showcase them to the fanbase they want to market them to, while still keeping each show's rabid fanboy/girl crowd at bay by drastically limiting the number of edits that would be made. A nice compromise between appealing to hardcore fans and appealing to key demographics, I'd say.

Granted, I'm not so sure this was what CN actually had in mind since, as was said elsewhere on the forums, companies usually don't give a damn about hardcore fans. But it's still funny how it seemingly works out that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
emory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quote
the Saturday Action block is SVES. Cartoon Network doesn't call it SVES though. they call it Saturday Night Action in their "coming up next" bumpers.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:12 pm Reply with quote
You apparently didn't get the memo that Adult Swim is placing a big ole Action Block right there. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why they should get rid of SVES. Most of the shows on SVES are being shown before 11 pm anyway. But if they do decide to get rid of SVES than what will happen to the shows like Rurouni Kenshin?
emory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:17 pm Reply with quote
yes i did. and SVES isn't being eliminated. Adult Swim is just taking a chunk of its time away (11 PM - 2 AM). the rest of SVES' hours (7 - 11 PM) will still stick around.
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:20 pm Reply with quote
It said that the show will be part of its Saturday night lineup. Howcome they're not going to air Seed on Toonami? It would be a great help for a slot that has been struggling with the fans (I'll give props for their ratings). Now, if WHR and Seed went back to back, on Swim or Toonami, that would bring in big ratings. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote
SEED probably won't air on Toonami because of SD's current grip on those Gundam ratings.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quote
id like to know that too. id think SEED would be better fit on Toonami. even though SD is there, it's not like it's changing the entire image of Gundam. it's just an alternate version. unless they prefer the format of expanding the show over time.

HeeroYuy135 wrote:
It said that the show will be part of its Saturday night lineup. Howcome they're not going to air Seed on Toonami? It would be a great help for a slot that has been struggling with the fans (I'll give props for their ratings).

go figure. SVES seems to be the new spot for premiere action material.

HeeroYuy135 wrote:
[color=darkred]Now, if WHR and Seed went back to back, on Swim or Toonami, that would bring in big ratings. Very Happy

fun fact - anime on Adult Swim never brings in big ratings.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
You apparently didn't get the memo that Adult Swim is placing a big ole Action Block right there. Razz

The 11-2 block was heavily anime anyway, it just didn't have Adult Swim as the title, probably mostly due to the fact that most of the shows were edited to Toonami standards.

Anyway, I'm glad there will be a lot of anime on Saturdays since it's hard to stay up late during the week...stupid job... Crying or Very sad

btw, WHAT is airing at 1:30? Does anybody know? There has been nothing announced (that I recall anyway). Seed is possible...maybe Kenshin...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
id like to know that too. id think SEED would be better fit on Toonami. even though SD is there, it's not like it's changing the entire image of Gundam. it's just an alternate version. unless they prefer the format of expanding the show over time.

I'd disagree and provide a counter-point, but the last half of that paragraph seemed to lose its way and fall apart. Thus I can't fully grasp what you're saying.

emory wrote:
HeeroYuy135 wrote:
It said that the show will be part of its Saturday night lineup. Howcome they're not going to air Seed on Toonami? It would be a great help for a slot that has been struggling with the fans (I'll give props for their ratings).

go figure. SVES seems to be the new spot for premiere action material.

How so? All it has are Toonami hand-me-downs, .hack//SIGN reruns, Knights of the Zodiac, & Rurouni Kenshin (the last two being horribly mangled, at that). Adult Swim, on the other hand, is getting Gundam SEED, new Inu-Yasha, Wolf's Rain, Ghost in the Shell, Witch Hunter Robin...that's five new entries to a bunch of reruns, I'm not seeing your logic here.

emory wrote:
HeeroYuy135 wrote:
[color=darkred]Now, if WHR and Seed went back to back, on Swim or Toonami, that would bring in big ratings. Very Happy

fun fact - anime on Adult Swim never brings in big ratings.

I hear quite the contrary elsewhere. And if it were struggling in the ratings, why would they be expanding it to six nights a week?

Last edited by Nagisa on Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
btw, WHAT is airing at 1:30? Does anybody know? There has been nothing announced (that I recall anyway). Seed is possible...maybe Kenshin...

Odds are it's SEED. They'd only put Kenshin on there if they were struggling for programming. After all, if it's anything like Outlaw Star or Tenchi, CN only has a heavily edited version at their disposal.
okendri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:39 am Reply with quote
What I think that he was getting at is that the anime portion of Adult Swim doesn't pull the ratings that Futurama and Family Guy pull.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
Well, that's true. Still, they can't be doing too badly if they're adding a new day just for anime (that's taking time away from a Saturday older children/young teen's block), plus throwing four new series (as well as a 52-episode season of one other) on there between now and approximately July. I haven't heard of any majour additions like that to Toonami or SVES' lineups, so that has to say something.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that SEED is going to air in only a few short months. I was thinking AS would wait until fall to air it. While I didn't care for the few episodes I saw, I'll give it another chance once it airs. Maybe it'll get better.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I'd disagree and provide a counter-point, but the last half of that paragraph seemed to lose its way and fall apart. Thus I can't fully grasp what you're saying.

clarification: maybe they want to show the series over the course of a year as opposed to what they did with other Gundam series, and that is exhausting it with a weekday run.

Nagisa wrote:
How so? All it has are Toonami hand-me-downs, .hack//SIGN reruns, Knights of the Zodiac, & Rurouni Kenshin (the last two being horribly mangled, at that). Adult Swim, on the other hand, is getting Gundam SEED, new Inu-Yasha, Wolf's Rain, Ghost in the Shell, Witch Hunter Robin...that's five new entries to a bunch of reruns, I'm not seeing your logic here.

SVES took many of Toonami's shows away and premiered new episodes along with it. SVES is the home of new episodes of the CN originals and WBA material such as Samurai Jack, Justice League, and Teen Titans. It's home to Knights of the Zodiac. It's the new home to premieres of former Toonami-exclusive shows like He-Man, Transformers (Energon in Feb.), .hack//SIGN (only the first 4 aired on Toonami, the rest premiered on SVES), the final new episodes of Kenshin after Toonami dropped it, and in February DBGT will be moving to it as well.

and i can assure you that SEED will be airing on SVES. not AS. especially if Bandai wants their marketing blitz to succeed. not to mention SEED can't premiere at the same time The Animatrix is.

Nagisa wrote:
I hear quite the contrary elsewhere. And if it were struggling in the ratings, why would they be expanding it to six nights a week?

like okendri said, the ratings have shown that when midnight rolls around on weeknights, about half the viewers drop out. since anime isn't as expensive to acquire it doesn't need ratings as high as Family Guy's to keep itself on the air. the only anime that CN has recognized as performing above average on Adult Swim have been FLCL and Big O.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3