• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Anime That Were Isekai Before It Was Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah, old-school isekai... I've only seen two of the shows on this list, El Hazard and Abenobashi, but I've read several of the Familiar of Zero novels.

This blog post goes into more detail on some of these, with an emphasis on the shoujo side of things in the '90s, while this page digs a little deeper, finding roots as far back as a novel by the guy who did Dirty Pair. Of course, as xkcd reminds us, it's hardly confined to Japanese works, and for my own part, I have a pretty broad definition of the genre, including not just the obvious candidates like Alice in Wonderland or Narnia or The Neverending Story, but even some works theoretically set in our own universe like Gulliver's Travels or A Princess of Mars.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I would agree that The Familiar of Zero was the old flame before Re:Zero refreshed it.
Misopup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hello....."Those Who Hunt Elves" failed to make this list????
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
For the baseball poll I voted for Moshidora, since that one probably won't get any love otherwise.

Moshidora got me to do a bit of research on Japanese hospital stays. The main girl's best friend has been hospitalized for weeks with a strange untreatable illness. While I thought her stay unrealistically long, it turns out Japan has by far the longest average hospital stays of any OECD member, seventeen days as of 2014. For most of the other OECD members, the figure was five or six days.

And I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above that it is a crime that Cross Game is not available legally in North America.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
IS kyou kara maoh a yaoi harem isekai series? as it says it is harem but all i see is guys,

Yaoi harem Wink

Id say it was closer to shonen ai, at least as far as I saw Yuri was straight, but yeah shonen ai harem; although honestly its really good and shonen ai nor yaoi are my thing.

I have to say, while technically an isekai, I view Zero as just another shana clone that happens to be isekai at the same time, so I cant really give it credit of pre isekai when its still pretty derivative.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Twelve Kingdoms and Escaflowne are best isekai. Now and Then, Here and There the best thing that I can't bring myself to watch again. Fushigi Yuugi also excellent. El Hazard pretty good, Magic Knight Rayearth decent but a bit overrated.

EricJ2 wrote:
Like Miyazaki directing Princess Mononoke, NTHT had the feeling of Akitaroh Daichi wanting to do his big self-indulgent "Pessimist" piece, and throw as much gritty dark tragedy as he could at the story to get away from his shoujo/comedy image....Okay, we're artists, happy now? Rolling Eyes

Maybe that's what it felt like to you, but in both cases, they had something they actually wanted to say through those works. In Daichi's case with NTHT, about the situation in Rwanda at the time and how nasty it was.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
Repeating: indeed, Escaflowne's absence is questionable. But I imagine it being the most well known among them might make its listing less useful.
Though, people whose head is stuck in a game helmet to force them to play is a weird idea of sliding to another world.

Special mention to Leda, an early OAV.

Crossing the poll and article : I'd love to learn how Ima soku ni iru boku/Now&then is in need of a contemporary remake. The competent direction, the way the director and scenarist went beyond the premise ordered to them by exploiting it to make this "happy adventure of a young boy sent to another world" their own work, may I say the subversion (?) and the "passe-partout" visual style of this work are sufficient as they are.

I 'm not sure of wich cinema work to use as an example... Does "Apocalypse Now" needs a remake because it was made with technology now obsolete? I do not think so. (not saying Ima... is its equal of course)

New poll: is Hiatari Ryôkô! considered a "base'ball" anime since it features the sport and has a few episodes focused on matches even though the sport is just a background element?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ah, Familiar of Zero or Rie Kugimiya screams again and has Satoshi Hino voice her long suffering boyfriend again.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy to see Abenobashi on this list! Everyone should watch Abenobashi. I wish the Blu-ray release would come over here. (Japan and Germany are the only ones who have it.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World(the original OVA) is still my personal favorite. AND I think a remake would be pretty sweet, as long as it kept the basic OVA plot. I hope that someday an expansive Blu-ray set like the one released in Japan a while back will find its way stateside.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll eat my hat if the majority of you can't sing the English theme song.

I can totally sing the English Digimon theme, but why would I want to when I can sing Butter-Fly instead? Razz
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Escaflowne and Twelve Kingdoms would definitely be my top two picks for this list. Both are masterful in their own ways. Now and Then, Here and There remains one of the most brutal viewings I've ever experienced; I own the show, but I'm not sure what it would take for me to actually sit down and watch it again. Very Happy

I agree that Twelve Kingdoms should be high on the list. It is one of the few shows I upgraded to Blu-ray when I purchased a Blu-ray player many years ago.
Now and Then, Here and There is one of the few shows I gave away after watching it. I could never get myself to watch it again.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
From a popularity standpoint, "Digimon" and "InuYasha" were likely the most famous and popular isekai titles here back in the day.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hell, you could just make a list of anime like Sword Art Online, because God knows how many stories about being trapped in a video game were made already? The first example off the top of my head would be .//hack.

Also, I'm glad Medabots made it into the top 10 poll results. That franchise really needs more love.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Im proud to say that I've watched every title on the list for Isekai shows including a few that werent mentioned like Escaflowne and Those Who Hunt Elves

P.S as for the old poll the fact that GTO is #1 for 1999 series to be remade reminds me just how Great - pun intended - and underrated it was especially considering that theres a sequel thats currently ongoing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4