• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Hashira Training Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
It worked ok enough in the manga, where 1.5 chapters were spent on this B plot and the C plots at the beginning and end. Too bad it became a whole episode. The A plot (that is, the titular training) returns next week, for what it's worth.

Yeah. Sometimes it feels like the anime of Demon Slayer adds more padding to the tv series. That's why the previous arc had a horrible fight flashback ratio and the Mugen Train had the scene of Tanjiro committing suicide in a dream several times. Jujutsu did something similar to the scene where Mahito is defeated or when Fake Geto fights everybody in season 2. Guess whoever directed or produced the animes wanted the series to end at a certain point because... I don't know.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:48 pm Reply with quote
James did write:

Quote:
I barely even remembered who Giyu was when this episode began...

Giyu is primarily the Hashira who choose not to slay Nezuko in the first episode (and thereafter conspired to keep her safe), so Tanjiro would obviously feel especially beholden to him. Perhaps Tanjiro's connection with Giyu is what called the ghost of Sabito forth to train him?
AdditionalRamen

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Normally am with James 100% but this felt a bit callous to me:

Quote:
All of this serves to drive home the point that… people die when they are killed, I guess?

Like dang James, have a little empathy!

Personally I liked having a calmer, more introspective episode. It was really neat to see Tanjiro's thought process as he was deciding how best to empathize and connect with Giyu after Giyu disclosed the story of his past. I am accustomed to seeing shonen protagonists who, yes, are emotionally intelligent and draw strength from the power of friendship, but are pretty shouty and in-your-face about it. I like Tanjiro's more laid-back approach.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Giyu is primarily the Hashira who choose not to slay Nezuko in the first episode (and thereafter conspired to keep her safe), so Tanjiro would obviously feel especially beholden to him.

The biggest thing I remember from that first appearance is that when a 13-year-old boy begged Giyu not to kill the only surviving member of his just-massacred family, Giyu’s response was to berate that child for not being strong enough to make him spare her.

…I’ve never really liked most of the Hashira. Granted, I haven’t seen anything after Mugen Train.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, James really bobbled the last paragraph of his episode 2 review with its discussion of A, B & C plots. First, that structure was quite common for hour long episodic TV shows of the past but it has less relevance for a serialized show like Demon Slayer. However, if you are going to cite it, then you should at least actually understand what are the A, B and C parts of the plot. This series of episodes is called the Hashira Training Arc. That means the A plot of any episode is likely going to be events related to the storyline about the Hashira training the lower ranked Demon Slayers. In other words, the Master's request that Tanjiro speak with Giyu, Tanjiro's attempt to do so, his ultimate success and the backstory related to why Giyu didn't want to participate in the training are all ultra ultra ultra clearly A plot material. Now if James isn't fond of the way that A plot material was executed and found it uninteresting, that's a different issue. But to say that stuff "feels" like it's composed out of B and C plot material "feels" way off base to me.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Now if James isn't fond of the way that A plot material was executed and found it uninteresting, that's a different issue. But to say that stuff "feels" like it's composed out of B and C plot material "feels" way off base to me.

Hmmm.. I do not know about your own feelings, but I did get the distinct impression the this episode was Giyu's *turn* at having his motivations and past extrapolated upon. And next week is, maybe, Shinobu's *turn*. In that Demon Slayer has gone out of its way to have every supporting character that isnt a background character explain themselves through the means of tragic backstory.

And in that regards It does feel like the side stories to Demon Slayer's main stories of fighting Demons.

Based on the fact that we only have a 3 Hashira stories left after Shinobu, I assume we are gonna reach the darkness rises part of the story soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:16 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga yet, but my assumption is that the Hashira Training Arc isn't about Demon Slayers fighting demons in the present day. It's about preparing to fight them in the future. I'm assuming any slayer - demon battles are going to be flashbacks. So your feeling that this kind of content is a sidestory to the main line of Demon Slayers fighting demons is actually completely irrelevant to the point I'm making. A, B and C plots are objective matters. They aren't matters of opinion so you can't "feel" that an A plot is a B plot or vice versa. The Hashira Training Arc is about Hashira training demon slayers. So by objective definition, all that stuff between Giyu and Tanjiro, including backstory material, was A plot.

I suspect that what James meant is that to him that stuff wasn't handled in a particularly compelling way so to him it "felt" like it was B and C plot material even though by objective definition, it wasn't. That's fair comment. But suggesting it isn't actually isn't A plot content is incorrect. The way James worded his review made me think he was irritated that the episode chose not to service the A plot when it clearly did.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:20 am Reply with quote
From Giyu being the first hashira Tanjiro (and we as viewers) met, I had always been under the impression that he would be more important/focal than the rest, and elevated somewhat, to sit kind of in between secondary and primary cast. That would have fit well if the show were peppered with moments like the Sabito one that tied back to Giyu.

But, the show just seemed to kind of forget about Giyu for most of its run. Maybe Giyu was meant be "A plot" material, but the character/world-building just kind of ran amok and he got neglected, so that now he's being revived as-if "A plot", but in actuality is now a largely forgotten tertiary character? Distinction without a difference, I guess, but I just can't shake the feeling that in any other story Giyu would have played a much larger role than he has to date.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Wed May 22, 2024 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 7:55 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm puzzled by the sidelining of Giyu for so long, too. I agree that given his initial treatment at the start of the series, one would have assumed he would have been made more use of before now.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:22 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy did write:

Quote:
The biggest thing I remember from that first appearance is that when a 13-year-old boy begged Giyu not to kill the only surviving member of his just-massacred family, Giyu’s response was to berate that child for not being strong enough to make him spare her.

That may have been tough love on Giyu's part. While he let Nezuko live, he knew no other Hashira would, and there was no way Nezuko could keep off their radar forever. He was telling Tanjiro that if he wanted to keep protecting his sister he would have to become strong enough to do so. And then he arranged for Tanjiro to train with an ex-Hashira in private, so Giyu is pretty pivotal to Tanjiro's backstory.

And unless I'm misremembering, Giyu also interceded on Tanjiro's behalf when Nezuko was put on trial before the Hashiras. That incident being another reason many of the rest of the Hashiras don't have much liking for him.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
To be honest, I'm puzzled by the sidelining of Giyu for so long, too. I agree that given his initial treatment at the start of the series, one would have assumed he would have been made more use of before now.

Like the downgraded usage of Nezuko, that may be a case where the creator's original intent got modified as the story moved along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Now if James isn't fond of the way that A plot material was executed and found it uninteresting, that's a different issue. But to say that stuff "feels" like it's composed out of B and C plot material "feels" way off base to me.

Hmmm.. I do not know about your own feelings, but I did get the distinct impression the this episode was Giyu's *turn* at having his motivations and past extrapolated upon. And next week is, maybe, Shinobu's *turn*. In that Demon Slayer has gone out of its way to have every supporting character that isnt a background character explain themselves through the means of tragic backstory.

And in that regards It does feel like the side stories to Demon Slayer's main stories of fighting Demons.

Based on the fact that we only have a 3 Hashira stories left after Shinobu, I assume we are gonna reach the darkness rises part of the story soon.

that was i was wondering. they way how she was trying her best to hold in her anger in the end makes me believe that she is not too happy on the news that she will be working with tamayo aka a demon!

even if its in order to cure nezuko!

i know its a stretch, but who here thinks that it was tamayo herself (back when she was loyal to muzan) that was the one who killed shinobu's sister!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:30 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
i know its a stretch, but who here thinks that it was tamayo herself (back when she was loyal to muzan) that was the one who killed shinobu's sister!?

Oh, that was my immediate thought given the timing and that we haven't seen Shinobu that troubled at any previous point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Honestly this. Reminds to how Togashi handled Kite even invthe manga?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
That may have been tough love on Giyu's part. While he let Nezuko live, he knew no other Hashira would, and there was no way Nezuko could keep off their radar forever. He was telling Tanjiro that if he wanted to keep protecting his sister he would have to become strong enough to do so.

Doesn't make sense. He says all that stuff before that pivotal moment where Nezuko shields Tanjiro with her body. Why would he be thinking in those terms when he still doesn't see her as anything but a mindless beast, or have any reason to treat Tanjiro as a shonen protagonist? Being angry at the sobbing kid makes some sense (the scene establishes that Giyu feels guilty and angry at himself for not being there to save the Kamado family, and he's taking out his anger on Tanjiro), but you'd think it'd manifest as "Goddammit, you little idiot, wake up! Your sister's dead! That's just a thing inhabiting her body! What, you wanna spare it because of your stupid sentimental attachment? Then the blood of everyone else it kills will be on your hands! Now shut up and stop trying to keep me from doing what needs to be done!"

But he's not mad at Tanjiro for trying to stop him. If you look at what he actually says, he's mad at Tanjiro for being bad at it. Like if this 13-year-old civilian were able to beat up the elite Hashira, it'd mean Tanjiro was right about Nezuko's remaining humanity.

It's kind of a microcosm of one of my bigger issues with what I've seen of Demon Slayer. It talks the talk about empathy, but when push comes to shove, "strength" always seems to be more important.

Last edited by Shay Guy on Thu May 23, 2024 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9