• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yawara! DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the first 20 episodes of this show via fansubs years ago. It definitely was (and still is) a great show despite the outdated Olympic references. Jigoro is also a hilariously charming character and if there is any reason to watch the show, it's for him.

The interaction and relationships between the characters is also one of the most enjoyable aspects of the show. Although there will be times (mostly) that the acting can get ham fisted, it still doesn't take away from the overall warm nature of the show that is prevalent and entertaining as anime was in the 80's.

Even if the set is expensive, it is worth every penny. Robert Woodhead and the AnimEigo crew know what they do and they do it right. There is a reason that AnimEigo is still functioning after nearly 20 years.

Oh, and if Robert is reading this, thanks for answering my question about level capping in Wizardry. Smile
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing a few episodes of "Yawara!" a couple of years ago and thinking this was a really great series.

It's good to see it get some love on DVD.
lixuelai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Been waiting for this for soooo long. Was tempted to buy the Perfect Collection but it is well over $1k and really hard to find even in Akiba. Glad that AnimEigo licensed it. Any info on when the rest will be released?
Cynicat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Where can I buy this box set?

I checked my usual anime pushers (er, dealers) and they had no knowledge of it. That includes Amazon and DVD Pacific, among others.

Very frustrating to read such a positive review, then be unable to buy it. Sad
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Cynicat: go to animeigo's site and order from them.

(Then pre-order the next one and be prepared to get a series of rude emails from some faceless jerk a good half a year after they take your money and after you get charged another 60 dollars on top of the shipping fees... but hey, I'm not bitter about being treated like a leper)
Cynicat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I tried.

Small problem - Animeigo's site is only for sales to the USA and Canada, and I'm in one of the other English-speaking countries...

How dare they be all ethical and law-abiding? Just 'cause I'm not in Region 1, they won't sell me the product that they aren't allowed to sell outside Region 1. It's unheard of! They are actually doing what they are supposed to do (unlike most).

Pity the review didn't mention that - it got me all excited, and now I can't get it. Sad Sad Sad
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Cynicat wrote:

Small problem - Animeigo's site is only for sales to the USA and Canada, and I'm in one of the other English-speaking countries...

Seriously, what region are you in? What we need is for companies to take out licenses for other regions besides region 1 and the Japanese-speaking part of region 2, with the Japanese rights holders adjusting the licensing fees to the size of the market. And in cases like Yawara, they should probably license the localization work already done by Animeigo from them, rather than duplicate it.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Cynicat wrote:
Well, I tried.

How dare they be all ethical and law-abiding? Just 'cause I'm not in Region 1, they won't sell me the product that they aren't allowed to sell outside Region 1. It's unheard of! They are actually doing what they are supposed to do (unlike most).

Pity the review didn't mention that - it got me all excited, and now I can't get it. Sad Sad Sad

Drop-ship it from a friend in the states. Once it's their property they can do whatever they want with it, including giving it to you.
doraemon123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
yes,my yawara boxset arrived in the mail this morning,just unpacking it now.this should keep me busy over the weekend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2