• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Medaka Box (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I read around the first 20 chapters of the manga, but I stopped when I found out there would be an anime adaption in the spring. It looks like the anime will stay true to the manga path. I will most likely continue the manga after the anime is done. Anyway I liked the first episode. I laughed when he called himself a tsundere. I don't think that was in the manga.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I hated the first episode of Medaka Box! (I can see Blood- punching the monitor already). First of all is the start of it: some pompous superhuman first year girl wins election with 98%, what a bullshit, and then spouts nonsense that she will help everyone in anything 24/7 365 days in a year; her armbands indicate she is obviously a master of everything. And the reason? No f*cking reason at all! Then this 'childhood friend' duo goes on to the usual steps of establishing the roots of their relationships at the speed of light, which make is hard, no scratch that, impossible to care about it all in the slightest. More ridiculous things happen one after the other. Medaka goes on to fix kendo club with her supa-moves, and it is now established how she can fix anyone with a shock treatment(not completely stupid idea I admit).

Even the ray of hope I had when the apparently evil male showed up was quickly extinguished as the supawoman just rolled over him in a heartbeat. The premises that should be subtle, or carefully handled, like her being strong yet weak at the same time is just thrown at the viewer with no regard of whether it will work or not. Shotgun approach where you can't afford it.

And lets not forget that she strips in her student counsel office because... why not?

It's not even individual components I don't like. Desire to be on top - His and Her Circumstances has that; Someone skilled in most anything - Haruhi (and if I must expand, Haruhi is never shown as having superhuman abilities, at least none she is aware of or can use intentionally, she is simply talented and picks up everything very quickly, evidenced by her joining all clubs at the beginning); childhood friend, strong but weak... they are all fine in and by themselves. However the weak premise and rushed-by-the-book delivery completely annihilated this show for me. Although I do like the small girl. And the music, someone TURN IT OFF!!!

I'll watch a few more, for hating on it if nothing else.

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Meh, you're just not on the show's over-the-top wavelength. The show isn't taking itself seriously, so why are you?
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Whether it takes itself seriously or not does not excuse it from being a narrative mess.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
It's not a narrative mess at all. It's very clear. But I can tell by your comments you're simply off-base. This is a comedy and you're complaining about the fact that Medaka, a freshman, won the student council election by 98%? Really? That's just dopey. It's an over-the-top comedy and yeah, over-the-top stuff is going to happen. If you personally don't find the humour funny, well that's one thing. But complaining about stuff like that is like complaining that the comic strip "Peanuts" sucks because beagles don't really look like Snoopy and can't actually lie on their backs on top of doghouses. Makes no sense.
Otishio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the first episode. I so far like the characters even without knowing too much about them but they seem inviting enough to want to stay for a second episode.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the manga has a few tonal shifts that really turn people off, but I doubt we'll ever see the anime get there.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Apparently the manga has a few tonal shifts that really turn people off, but I doubt we'll ever see the anime get there.

spoiler[No, it'll start very soon.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
*clears throat*

Ahem! Hear yee, hear yee.

I hereby lay claims to the wench, Medaka, before anyone else.

Now that is out of the way, I think this be a great show for me - I saved many pictures of Medaka. I focused on Medaka too much this episode that I didn't really pay attention to the plot or anything else really. I still enjoyed it though.
Lunatical

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I was feeling kinda "meh" about the show until the scene spoiler[where Medaka shot into space and held the world in her hand]. Shocked I was entranced right about that time by this show's crazy over-the-top nature. I definitely look forward to watching the rest of this series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't what I hoped for but I heard the anime follows the manga storyline so I'm definitely going to continue watching.

Fan-service was a bit more than I expected but I liked the comedy part as well. I might try the manga as I'm watching this series tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
My excitement level never peaked above lukewarm for this first episode, and the ahouge line was about the only thing that actually gave me a chuckle.

Based on the content of the first episode, it seems like this series could play out as a reverse harem that focuses on providing us the perspective of how the harem member who is the primary love interest feels about being toyed with by the leader of the harem, but I am not going to explicate anymore on that because it is still way too early to make any reasonable assessments of this series.

Hentai_JP wrote:
Whether it takes itself seriously or not does not excuse it from being a narrative mess.

Come on now. Let’s not jump to unreasonable conclusions after one episode. Logic dictates that one must watch at least four episodes before bitching about the narrative structure. Trust me on this one. One time I heard some deranged homeless guy with a trash-bag bonnet yelling about narrative structure on the bus home from school; and logic dictates that all deranged homeless men with a trash-bag bonnet have earned a degree in philosophy, so therefore his ramblings must have been true.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
For a show that is a supposed comedy, I certainly didn't laugh one time this episode. Heck, I didn't even know it was a comedy. One thing is for sure, the characters do not work for me at all. You got Zenkichi who will follow Medaka off a cliff because she can't do anything wrong ever. Then you have Medaka herself who... can do everything, I guess? The 'conflict' in the first episode was just awful, and the next one will be about rescuing a dog? Yeah, I'm giving this the three episode test so it could turn itself around, but it would have to do so very quickly.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

At first yes but once Nisio tweaked with the shift the manga became the hit it is now. Saying most manga fans do not like the start of this manga would be an understatement.

Intro Arc - Poor mans Sket Dance
Flask Arc - Turned into a "eh" battle manga to save itself
Minus Arc - Kumagawa is awesome! Omg Nisio keeps making fun of Jump and shounen tropes!
Not Equals Arc - Fun, fun, fun! (Unless you're a butthurt Zen fan)
Ajimu Arc - Current arc that just ended.

The problem is the anime will most likely only cover the Intro Arc... and if the rumored split cour airing is true than the Flask Arc will be covered in the second.

You know how every shounen manga has an arc that really steps shit up which gets compared to Rurouni Kenshin's Kyoto Arc? Well the equivalent for this is the Minus Arc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
For a show that is a supposed comedy, I certainly didn't laugh one time this episode. Heck, I didn't even know it was a comedy.

Super-obvious statement coming up: humour is subjective. But even given that, the fact that you didn't laugh once says way more about your sense of humour than it does about how funny or not this show is. That's just absurd. Not even a single chuckle? Have you ever considered the possibility that you're actually dead?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18