• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Medaka Box (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
...I'm not just being silly here, these are actually questions that series is intending to us to ask. Seriously.

I seriously question whether there is anything serious here.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
so much happened in 23 min so im kinda confused. mainly, what version of Medaka is about to fight Oudo?
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
I have to admit that if I wasn't already reading the manga I'd be screaming GAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNNNNAAAAAAAXXXXXXX right about now. Glad they did Kumagawa's intro scene justice.

I'm kind of annoyed they didn't mention the one flaw in Medaka's abnormality which is that it's TOO good at what it does. Had she fought Munataka for instance she would have become a perfect serial killer and so there are some skills she's better off not mastering. I do like that they did a good job at making Oudo seem like he was scared shitless after seeing what was really inside Medaka. Nice touch of music in that scene too.

Next week, Good Loser Kumagawa. Oh Gainax you trolls...
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Naze showing a gentle and fragile side was surprising.
The story about Oudo was interesting.]

That guy really is something else.
Seems like this time he went too far.
spoiler[Medaka on the other hand was the monster to put him down.]
She's totally collecting abnormals LOL
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

(I started writing this then the page stuffed up so I have to write it again, and it is 1:30 and I have to get up early tomorow for a hike)

I really enjoyed this, I think this episode finally unlocked something in me that is interested in rewatching the series to look at the characters, also made me wish there will be a phsyical release some time. The small recap was a good choice.

Anyway I liked how Medaka spoiler[did not just take the obvious poison, she has learned from what she would have done episodes earlier. We also learned a little about Oudo, it seems that he spent his childhood trying to get his self control by actually not useing it, but when he tried to do a speech for peace, he instead gave an order of submission. Who has not meant to say one thing and then said something else? But his king/god complex came into full power here when he decided that he had the right to just out and take Koga's power, leaving her dyeing].

And what followed was something really good, it spoiler[shocked Naze out of her pain loving persona, and into the little sister she is and worried for her best friend.] And as if I needed another reason to like Miyuki Sawashiro's voice acting, she has really been top notch. Anyway Ouda's choice seems enough to get spoiler[Medaka to bring out her big guns, but she did not go pink haired go style, no she went somewhere worse and had black hair. And Oudo fights her confident that she can not match him with Koga's 100% power, while Medaka can only apparently copy 20% power. I liked Medaka insistance that she is a monster pretending], reminds me of my favourite bit in Nisemonogatari.

Things go for a turn for the worse for spoiler[him when he realises that Medaka heals almost immediatly after an attack, something Koga can not do. It is again we learn that Medaka masters skills, and that while Oudo can bring 100% of someone elses skill, Medaka can go 120%]. Oudo is not pleased, it is not spoiler[fair that someone could actually do that, she could not deserve such a gift and that she treats it like a game, Medaka makes the deal that he can take her's if he will stop. Oudo takes her up, but his smug looks is soon replaced with fear when he gets a climpse of what exactly is inside Medaka, he calls her a monster for even offering] what she did.

Oudo starts spoiler[begging for forgivness, that he will change his ways, stop the Flask project, do good, but to each medaka asks coldly if it is all he wants to say. I loved the soundtrack dureing the during this bit, the choice of orchestra chanting was nice]. He starts getting really spoiler[freaked out over what he is supposed to say, and then, this is the great part since I totally saw it comming, she says that he has to say sorry, which then does so hard he breaks the floor]. Medaka being herself spoiler[forgives him, that is the charming part we like], now that I think about it she reminds me of my favourite characters in Fairy Tail, we need more characters like this.

Everythhing seems to be spoiler[working out, everyone rides the elevator together like normal teens, these little parts of hapiness that make the trouble worth while. Medaka asks that Oudo just stop the fight in of the people on floor one, which he said he planned on anyway, everything is humpty dorey. But then masacare, some maniac has devistated them all with giant screws, we do not even know if they are alive, then the culpret comes, making a joke out of the whole thing by saying he nothing to do with it, while holding a blood covered screw and himself covered in blood. Is this the guy who caused Medaka so much trouble in middle school?]
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Next week, Good Loser Kumagawa. Oh Gainax you trolls...

They used Shinji's seiyuu for Kumagawa. Very Happy
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Amusing as always to see spoiler[absolutely no one give Kumagawa the benefit of the doubt. I mean, didn't he just tell us he was innocent? Well, maybe he doesn't deserve such a benefit, but it's still amusing.]
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
They used Shinji's seiyuu for Kumagawa. Very Happy
First I was doubting the casting decision, but now I see how fitting it is.

It is good to see Kumagawa at last, but it is a bit sad that the series ends at the point, where the most popular character of the manga is introduced. Ah well, at least he gets an introduction. I likely never get to see my favorite character (spoiler[Ajimu]) in action in the anime.
Skullface

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:

It is good to see Kumagawa at last, but it is a bit sad that the series ends at the point, where the most popular character of the manga is introduced. Ah well, at least he gets an introduction. I likely never get to see my favorite character (spoiler[Ajimu]) in action in the anime.

from what I hear she might be in next ep with Kumagawa
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Skullface wrote:
from what I hear she might be in next ep with Kumagawa
That would give some reason why spoiler[she is in the opening and ending]. It would mean that it is a story that isn't in the manga, like the last episode of the first season.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Well, it's part of the Good Loser Kumagawa series, so presumably it'll take place in that other school. Uh... Fishtank Academy, I guess.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
I'm totally unfamiliar with the MB manga, but I'll take how things are ending as a celestially unbreakable guarantee that a third season will happen. Fine by me.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The manga sounds worthy of a read, I might have look at the summary at some point.

Considering I did not like the first season too much, so-so overall, I quite like this season, compared with the optimistic frolics of the first season, getting more into the meat and bones behind this idealism is a lot more interesting. While Medaka is the only main character getting any sort of development, this kind of story does work to Gainax's advantage (has it is their focus for who knows how many years now), it is almost like they put more effort into the timing and writing in this season.

I would certainly like to see how things develop if a third season is made.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
***AUUGH- If anyone can tell me why this post refuses to hyperlink properly to most of the following wiki articles please clue me in and I'll fix them***
A coulple years ago I saw the Park Chan-Wook Vampire Drama/Thriller [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirst_(2009_film)]Thirst[/url]. It is a very interesting movie, made more interesting when you learn it is loosely an adaptation of 19th Century French novel and play by Émile Zola, [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thérèse_Raquin]Thérèse Raquin[/url] (except in Park's version, the protagonists are vampires).

What does this have to do with Medaka Box? When watching MB I keep thinking about the experimental "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism_(literature)]Naturalism[/url]" technique Zola adopted in writing it (As I understand it from Wiki articles- I haven't actually read the novel or seen the play). Zola believed that humans are largely shaped by their experiences and their circumstances and for his story he basically ignored any attempt to develop character in traditional ways and focused entirely on the defined "temperaments" of the characters. Each character is basically a trait- each defined by ancient ideas of "humours"

Now, I don't think Nisiosin and Gainax are directly adopting Emile Zola's methods but I do think a healthy amount of naturalism is being used in the story. The only two that seem like characters, defined by how they act, their impulses, desires, and dreams, are Hitoyoshi and Shiranui. Everyone else, including and maybe especially Medaka, are more like a collection of motivations and temperaments.

Despite all of the silly fights and special powers I keep thinking of the show as a thought experiment and a reversal of the much more common practice in anime- which is presenting a character, usually the villians, with plenty of impressive traits and attitude but giving almost thought to the motives of the character. It's the "The villain is evil because he is evil" problem I'm always complaining about.

Of course, these characters are also not well fleshed out either- as personality deprived characters they are as two dimensional as the motive-deprived characters of others stories. But I think that's part of the point.

Or maybe I'm thinking too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
I think that's exactly the right idea. I'm impressed actually, because it took me a lot longer to realize that (although I wouldn't have put it in those terms). That's very central to the storytelling, so if you somehow end up going further (either a new season or following the manga), keeping that in mind will help explain what a lot of what goes on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18