• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst case of censorship in an anime dub?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
You know parents probably would LOVE the episode where Asuka was introduced.

"That's the viewing fee!"
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
MMORPGAL wrote:
I wish creators of these series had more say in how there intellectual property is treated so they can stop this kind of needless censorship.
The funny thing is, the creators (the anime production studios, anyway) of some of these infamously edited shows like DBZ, Sailor Moon, and One Piece (pre-Funimation) wanted those changes, because they wanted those shows on mainstream American TV at any cost. At least with DBZ and SM, if those shows hadn't been edited to meet the standards of the times (mid/late-90s), they wouldn't have become runaway successes or brought thousands of new fans into anime fandom. Same with Robotech. It's dramatic, but inaccurate to think that these US studios signed the contracts, took the video masters, and ran away cackling with their plans to unilaterally alter/ruin/destroy the anime they released.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote
Zalis: funny 'cause there's a (obviously parodist) video on YewToob that mocks 4Kids and makes them out to look like they go for anime that looks kid-friendly then act horrified at all the drug/alcohol references and violence. Still hilarious.
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
komodo no jikan

you think there REALY maybe competition to this one in terms of how much and servere the show was edited?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
MMORPGAL wrote:
I wish creators of these series had more say in how there intellectual property is treated so they can stop this kind of needless censorship.
The funny thing is, the creators (the anime production studios, anyway) of some of these infamously edited shows like DBZ, Sailor Moon, and One Piece (pre-Funimation) wanted those changes, because they wanted those shows on mainstream American TV at any cost. At least with DBZ and SM, if those shows hadn't been edited to meet the standards of the times (mid/late-90s), they wouldn't have become runaway successes or brought thousands of new fans into anime fandom. Same with Robotech. It's dramatic, but inaccurate to think that these US studios signed the contracts, took the video masters, and ran away cackling with their plans to unilaterally alter/ruin/destroy the anime they released.

I can see where you are coming from with this point considering this was the mindset of distributors at the time to get their titles the most recognition possible. Still, that didn't stop some angry fans from whining like crazy that so-and-so company butchered the heck out of their favorite series and they want the uncut, original Japanese version out here in the states. And this did happen eventually as many of these shows now have had re-dubs and/ or have the original Japanese versions out on DVD. The only major titles I know of that didn't have this due to lack of demand from fans were Pokemon, Zatch Bell, Rave Master, Zoids, and much of 4Kids anime library (not counting Yu-gi-oh and Shaman King that had uncut release attempts a few years back).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why they even need half the edits they have. I mean, removing all references to guns in something like Pokémon - why? We've had main characters being shot to death in British children's shows aimed at a similar or younger age group, and their corpses shown on screen...
Like here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vs67EMZZ4c
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
I don't see why they even need half the edits they have. I mean, removing all references to guns in something like Pokémon - why? We've had main characters being shot to death in British children's shows aimed at a similar or younger age group, and their corpses shown on screen...
Like here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vs67EMZZ4c

Differences in what cultures consider acceptable for their children to see is the main excuse for why such edits take place, especially in America's case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
There are also different age groups of children. In the U.S. and Canada, Pokemon was aimed at the VERY young ... certainly not the same target audience as that of Batman: The Animated Series.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star being pretty heavily edited when they were on cartoon network years ago.

I think the thing that bugs most people is the lack of consistency, and in a lot of cases, edits that don't make any sense whatever. If you are going to edit out guns, cussing, death, whatever, just do it across the board.
dirtyotaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I"m supprised nobody has mentioned this one yet.

Turning Card Captor Sakura into Card Captors has got to be one of the worst.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
Well they only actually aired one episode of that Eva dub. I even remember watching it! But it's not like that episode was PTC friendly either.
I think by now we all know the difference between 4kids putting a shounen show on Saturday morning television and Funimation releasing a Claymore dvd. So I don't really think you can blame people who mention the original One Piece dub for all those people who are still using it as their excuse not to buy official dvd's. As someone stated many fansubs are taken from television versions that are censored. If not everyone who downloaded Strike Witches might have gotten in to some trouble now right? Anime exclamation
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
in some cases of anime,normal blood being removed can also be somewhat of a problem,like say that a character takes a brutal hit in the chest but coughing up spit instead of blood to make it seem less dramatic,like with the Toonami editions of Yu Yu Hakusho and there was also an episode in Digimon season 1(Digimon adventure) where Puppetmon was holding a gun across TK but was edited in the Saban english dub,speaking of dubs,another case of censhorship that can kill an anime is turning a seriouse anime like Ghost stories into a joke dub much similar to Samurai Pizza cats.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
FLMikeATT wrote:
I seem to remember Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star being pretty heavily edited when they were on cartoon network years ago.

There was some heavy editing with Tenchi Muyo but thanks to technology spoiler[some of the parts where the girls are nude could be altered to make the scene be able to stay in tact as a whole or most of it if possible.]

FLMikeATT wrote:

I think the thing that bugs most people is the lack of consistency, and in a lot of cases, edits that don't make any sense whatever. If you are going to edit out guns, cussing, death, whatever, just do it across the board.

That's another problem with certain edits. If it's not the same with what gets cut from episode to episode it just looks like the editors didn't care.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Probably to this very day, the worst case of censorship I've ever seen in an anime dub was one done in Outlaw Star. The infamously bad and unintentionally hilarious bloody hand edit. While it didn't ruin the series for me, it was so painfully obvious that even the most naive person would have caught on to it, had they known about it beforehand or not. The only other single thing that comes to mind that I consider just as bad if not worse would be the changing of Zoycite into a female for the North American version of Sailor Moon. In my personal opinion the only thing that looked remotely female about him was his face. I can understand why it was done, but its still a very bad case of censorship regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
wdwyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd have to say that all the bats and bears in the Japanese dub of Rosario + Vampire Capu2 were a case of censorship so bad that it took away the main reason for watching the series.

Just finished Rosario + Vampire Capu 2. And I have to admit, while it is understandable why the bears and bats were everywhere. There was a lot more of them in Capu 2...spoiler[which only suggests there were a lot more panty shots in the second series than the first]. That said, whether they were mistakes or misses, there were quite a few shots that were shown (or made it through the censors). Specifically the final shot of Kokoa's "punishment" and subsequent shot of her peeking through the door in the final scene (which of course shows the results of her punishment).

But I have to admit, outside of a few blaringly large bears, I didn't think it took away from the point of the anime. Of course, my opinion of the point of the anime may be different than yours...**ahem**.

Though I'll admit I have seen the uncut footage too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5