• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mysterious Girlfriend X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
well after wonder finish it all yet it ok series give i'm still on squick/brain bleach on whole saliva drool love issue.

give yet also tell feelings & sense things as well now that you don't see everyday.

of strange way wonder how will it be dub?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
A surprisingly sweet finale; I really dug it. I like going out on a note feeling like these two actually have a real relationship. Urabe's promise of spoiler[more inappropriate num-nums than just exchanging drool made me smile].

If you were to ask me right now, I'd be hesitant to say that I'll ever need to re-watch or own this in the future. But then again, it just finished. I've seen it happen where I assume I'll never want to re-watch/own a title only to change my mind after a few years. Could easily happen with this one, which is why I'm glad it got licensed. At least it'll be an option to own if I ever decide to exercise that choice.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 13/finale

Well, I can't say that this is the best episode of the series as it did lack flavor and did spoiler[not progress further between the relationship of the main characters namely Tsubaki-kun and Urabe.] Still though, it was alright. This entire series seemed to click despite the drool phenomenon as some viewers sees it as..disgusting while others sees it indifferent. Anyways, not a bad series although not a highlight of the Spring Season imo.

Going to check out the OVA that debuts later this year.

Got a "very good" rating from me.

Gotta agree with you there bro, despite the drool this series had the most organic way of showing of love bud to blossom relationship I have seen in years. There will never be another series like this that will be able to click like this nor do I want another to copy the premiss. This wraps up spring for me overall and meh if I really have to give the show a rating it gets a 4.5/5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree with the superlatives. It was a weird, unique, and ultimately sweet show that I hope can continue. It has some minor weaknesses but I'm giving it an "Excellent" rating largely because it was the only only show that I immediately felt like rewatching after I finished the last episode- which I may do later this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
A really sweet ending.
This is a show I would love to hear a dub take on, but given its premise, that seems unlikely.

This one does have enough going on off screen and between the lines to uphold rewatching though.

I will own it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
All is good.

Personally, I would have a real hard time having a girlfriend I could not kiss, hug, or even hold hands with. Instead, having psyches wired into each other by psychotropic body fluids? Seems like it could be a rush but I would have to think about it.

And why would Tsubaki be so reticent about telling his sister about their relationship? Or anyone? It is almost as if they feel it is shameful somehow and that is never explained.

Regardless of that, one of my favorites this season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't really think of much to say, but it was an alright series, that was somewhat interesting.

I liked Urabe in the last episode.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
And why would Tsubaki be so reticent about telling his sister about their relationship? Or anyone? It is almost as if they feel it is shameful somehow and that is never explained.
Tsubaki does wonder how others would see the drool exchange thingy (that's why he was so surprised in episode 13 learning that spoiler[his sister had some "drool experience" as well]), and making their relation public would probably result in more people learning about this special ceremony than just Oka.
I also think that Urabe considers making their relation public "unnecessary" whereas Tsubaki would love to let everyone know about his girlfriend (and then not have problems like when Nakajima sold Urabe's photograph in episode 9) as he's apparently less shy than Ueno.

Blood- wrote:
Urabe's promise of spoiler[more inappropriate num-nums than just exchanging drool made me smile].
With the events of episodes 8 and 12 in mind (the ones that took place in her room), Urabe appears to have learned her message as well.
Not getting the spoiler[kiss that was promised in the OP section] may seem a bit disappointing though but they might have left this for the OVA because (manga) spoiler[there's a nice special story to it, and the required catalyst was introduced already].

But for me the even more important statement in the final episode was spoiler[the role Urabe wants to play in Tsubaki's life], thus providing a real closure for this series at this stage.
The manga origin of this final episode spoiler[didn't have this line by Urabe as part of the corresponding chapter which takes place between episodes 4 and 5 but was moved to the end of the series; the conversation between Youko and Urabe originally took place between episodes 7 and 8, and neither is that important in the manga. But combining both provided a great milestone ending for the anime.]

I am happy with both the story and the anime adaption; the anime script writers made some very good decisions as for which material to use at which point in the time line.
The second half of the season upped my rating to "very good" even though I like neither the old character designs nor both songs that much.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 13/finale

Well, I can't say that this is the best episode of the series as it did lack flavor and did spoiler[not progress further between the relationship of the main characters namely Tsubaki-kun and Urabe.] Still though, it was alright. This entire series seemed to click despite the drool phenomenon as some viewers sees it as..disgusting while others sees it indifferent. Anyways, not a bad series although not a highlight of the Spring Season imo.

Going to check out the OVA that debuts later this year.

Got a "very good" rating from me.

spoiler[Progress the relationship], no, I would agree with you that the last episode didn't do that. Rather, it spoiler[made manifest the feelings that were already there - Urabe already wanted to become part of Tsubaki's life and that of his family]. Her spoiler[visiting his mother's grave] was just a way of affirming that.

I OTOH would mark this show as a highlight of the spring season. It was a very touching romantic comedy that used drama appropriately to make it as poignant as coming-of-age romantic comedies need to be. The melodrama was conspicuously absent, and I appreciated that. Also, spoiler[the fanservice situations were more shounen-esque than full-on ecchi], and that made them useful as well.

I will also be looking for the OAV. Can't wait for a thread-revival then. Smile
dep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Difficult to explain. But I actually enjoyed the series as it revolved around the awkardness of inexperienced youth dealing with trying to communicate emotions and feelings.

On the last episode, it almost moved me to tears. I do not care about the drool, the subliminal messages, the quality of the animation, or the "what-if's" in direction.

It was a touching episode in the message delivered. Anything else was superficial.

If someone would direct me to a link where I could purchase this series it would be appreciated.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
dep wrote:
If someone would direct me to a link where I could purchase this series it would be appreciated.

The home video release won't be so fast, even in Japan. You'll have to wait a little bit. The OVA bundled with manga volume 9 will be available in Japan on August 23, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
dep: not sure what part of the world you are from, but Sentai has licensed the show for North America. They have not yet announced when it's going to be released. Keep your eye the Sentai solicitation threads in the Retail Forum here at ANN - that'll let you know when the title actually is going to come out. It's a recent announcement, however, so don't expect to find out when it gets released for a while.
omelas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The series was a bit of a disipointment. Yes it was sweet, and I enjoyed the romance (and ignored as much as I could the spit), but I was hoping for so much more!

spoiler[What happened to the dream sequences that where strange and great? So Urabe was just a normal girl with spit problems?] Dont get me wrong. I liked the series. I will continue to watch if more is available, but it showed so much promise to be something wild and wierd and also romantic. But not typical romantic but really wierd and I did not expect this.

And yes, I know, I am really jaded if spit does not make my wierd level.....
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
omelas wrote:
The series was a bit of a disipointment. Yes it was sweet, and I enjoyed the romance (and ignored as much as I could the spit), but I was hoping for so much more!

Although I liked MGX very much and give it 8.5 out of 10 stars, I can also very much sympathize with someone who has the above reaction. I think that the very unusual nature of framing a teen romance this way and the nearly unique personalities stimulate all sorts of imagining in many viewers (particularly myself) about how it could go, which it doesn't. And hence disappointment.

For example:

Quote:
spoiler[What happened to the dream sequences that where strange and great? So Urabe was just a normal girl with spit problems?] don't get me wrong. ... And yes, I know, I am really jaded if spit does not make my wierd level.....

I don't think your spoiler tag was necessary so I'll respond in the open.

Those dream sequences were a tremendously creative strain in the story which is never fully developed. Dreams are often that way -- you have them, forget them quickly, and leave some sort of emotional residue that colors what you feel later. MGX's dreams do just that.

Yet when they invent a way that Urabe can peer directly into Tsubaki's dreams, and presumably the reciprocal can happen, they had a powerful tool for exploring how a relationship might develop with that happening in it. They deign not to use it, and instead we get far too many instances (lost count) of Urabe saying "here's your dose see you tomorrow" and then nothing else.

Another way where they could do things that anime teen couples don't normally do is have them dance together like they do in the dream and in the opening credits (all too briefly). That is the moment where they look cutest as a couple, and what appears to be a possible genuine interaction would be once again nearly unique among anime couples. They didn't go there.

I guess I am expecting too much. MGX is excellent for what it does and it gets more than a little extra credit for its creative uniqueness.
gravnakle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I watched the original TV broadcast of this show when it aired and I just finished watching the BD release with the additional OVA. I thought it was a good series overall. I wish they would have developed the characters and relationship between Urabe and Tsubaki more than they did.

I was wondering if anyone has heard if there is going to be a second season of this show. I would like to see more fully developed characters. Any takers?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18