• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Carl and Theron's Best of 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
What series that wasn't liscensed could be best of 08? Code Geass R2 sucked and Gundam 00 season 2 is still only half way over. The only series that I could think of was Soul Eater but most people think its even worse that R2.

who are you speaking for excactly? cause it certainly isn't "most people" (although Gundam 00 does suck)

Outside of the ANN poll (which I believe is what happens when someone votes after only watch at most 10 episodes ) the general opinion of Code Geass R2 is a flawed, over the top series that wasn't as good as the first season, not something thats going to win if Code Geass wins Guilty Pleasure award of the year. Personally I feel that Code Geass became the height of unintentional comedy after the Euphienator scene.

It's hilarious just because for some insane reason they made her moe as she guns down these people in the most hilarious of matters. It would work if Code Geass ever used subtlety but they never do so it fails.

As for Gundam 00 its got some good ideas but its also flawed with the fact that at no point in time do I ever get the feeling that these characters are from different countries as none of their culture ever shine through, and the feeling that the Director is telling me that this bland everyone's the same is ideal . Anyone who has read a history book would know that America would not stand for Celestial Beings actions.

Also every single scene with Sumeragi has her with alchohol, no militiary would use someone that is an alchoholic, and she basically appears drunk in half the scenes she's in.
DigimonTamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Nothing for Lucky Star? Really? I'm shocked.

As for my choice, I would pick Aria as best show of the year easily. Heck, after I watched it last month, it became my all time favorite show.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:00 am Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
Nothing for Lucky Star? Really? I'm shocked.

If anything, at least the best opener or something to acknowledge it Laughing Interesting picks though, but Theron's pick for death scene of the year definitely 100% without a doubt. A lot of times I don't care if certain characters die, but that one was so unpredictable. Also, some of those pictures make me want to pick up some of those series.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Anyone who has read a history book would know that America would not stand for Celestial Beings actions.

Uh, that's true, which is why the Union cooperates with the AEU and League to neutralize Celestial Being...

Charred Knight wrote:
Also every single scene with Sumeragi has her with alchohol, no militiary would use someone that is an alchoholic, and she basically appears drunk in half the scenes she's in.

A little exaggerated there, no? Razz In point of fact, Celestial Being is a paramilitary organization if anything -- though since they have no legitimized affiliation and use violence as a default means for achieving objectives, the Earth Federation isn't entirely wrong in describing them as outright terrorists -- and one that is short on manpower at that (disregarding the manga, in which I hear CB is much larger). Furthermore Sumeragi is a strategic genius -- and probably the only person with her experience who has a desire to fight for CB -- so they aren't going to cut her away just because she has a problem with booze. Also, she kinda runs the show on Ptolemy and Lagrange 3.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Outside of the ANN poll (which I believe is what happens when someone votes after only watch at most 10 episodes ) the general opinion of Code Geass R2 is a flawed, over the top series that wasn't as good as the first season, not something thats going to win if Code Geass wins Guilty Pleasure award of the year. spoiler[Personally I feel that Code Geass became the height of unintentional comedy after the Euphienator scene.

It's hilarious just because for some insane reason they made her moe as she guns down these people in the most hilarious of matters. It would work if Code Geass ever used subtlety but they never do so it fails.]

Charred Knight that is a major spoiler. Go back and tag it for those poor people who are still watching.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Charred Knight that is a major spoiler. Go back and tag it for those poor people who are still watching.

Yeah well, everything that Charred Knight wrote in that post was mentioned (without spoiler tags) in the article itself.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
The article warned about spoilers. People who wanted to read about, say, how Welcome to the NHK got best ED but didn't want Code Geass spoiled for them don't need to read it here. Key himself complained about people spoiling that scene and it losing its impact for those who hadn't seen it fansubbed.
JLightning_Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I was so disappointed in this choice. I felt that Jun Fukuyama's performance was just too forced. It seemed to me that he was forcing himself into a range that was both uncomfortable for him and too far-fetched for the character. I felt that either male lead for Death Note would have been a better choice, especially Mamoru Miyano. His final scene in the series was absolutely stunning to me. I've never found an anime character so...frankly psycho. And his cold and calculating performance throughout was perfectly fitting for Light. Kappei Yamaguchi was also stretching outside his usual loud shonen self to play the contemplative role of L and I thought he did quite a good job as well.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
hiatusinc wrote:
I agree with most of your picks. However you guys really need a female perspective on things. I consider it rather urgent.

I kind of thought this too, especially at:

Quote:
I don't have a high opinion of this series from a reviewer's standpoint, and despise the character designs beyond oh-so-hot Kallen...

I personally like Clamp's "noodle-head" design. I was dissapointed that Tsubasa was bad because I liked the interesting artwork. When Code Geass offered a non-Clamp story with those body proportions, I was very happy.

Kallen would be one of the characters I most despise in Code Geass, and the reasons are probably the same as why most guys find her their favourite character.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
JLightning_Wolf wrote:

Kappei Yamaguchi was also stretching outside his usual loud shonen self to play the contemplative role of L and I thought he did quite a good job as well.

I like his cute little boy voice more than his brash teen. He doesn't just do the brash teen thing.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:

Kallen would be one of the characters I most despise in Code Geass, and the reasons are probably the same as why most guys find her their favourite character.

Many of my male friends find her among their least favorite characters in the show. Me, I don't care about her personality, so long as she keeps jiggling her assets at the camera. Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
What series that wasn't liscensed could be best of 08? Code Geass R2 sucked and Gundam 00 season 2 is still only half way over. The only series that I could think of was Soul Eater but most people think its even worse that R2.

who are you speaking for excactly? cause it certainly isn't "most people" (although Gundam 00 does suck)

Outside of the ANN poll (which I believe is what happens when someone votes after only watch at most 10 episodes ) the general opinion of Code Geass R2 is a flawed, over the top series that wasn't as good as the first season, not something thats going to win if Code Geass wins Guilty Pleasure award of the year....

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Code Geass R2 is number 4. And it's got 8 times as many ratings as the ANN results. Methinks popular opinion disagrees with you.

And where do you get the idea that people think Soul Eater sucks? It's ranked 46 here (Bayesian) and 70 on MAL.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well there are now several new animes I need to see and I totally agree with Code Geass getting the scene of the year award. I believe that is the only time I started yelling at my computer for a non-technical reason, I just simply couldn't believe that one and had me ticked off for weeks afterwards.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
konkonsn wrote:

Many of my male friends find her among their least favorite characters in the show. Me, I don't care about her personality, so long as she keeps jiggling her assets at the camera. Razz

Um, the favourite thing was to make the syntax smooth. Sorry, I'm a literary person...

Ignoring that, I think you proved my point.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that one show that wasn't mentioned (and one I ordered recently based on all the positive, glowing press) was Le Chevalier D'Eon. I just find it odd that one of the most highly-praised shows that was released commercially Stateside this year wasn't on the list, but otherwise, some good choices (though sadly I haven't seen a lot of the shows mentioned).

One other caveat -- this is an article about US-released stuff, and Romeo X Juliet isn't out here YET, right? I'm confused there. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6