• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic Users Club [2012-05-07]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

Was going to query this, but I guess "office lady" has more of a part-timer, work-until-pregnant implication?

Junko would probably react very badly to being called an "OL"
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Quote:
Some characters speak in highly decorative, colloquial English, in sharp contrast to Ryner's modern slang

Erm, colloquial English = modern slang.

Colloquial: "Characteristic of or appropriate to the spoken language or to writing that seeks the effect of speech; informal. 2. Relating to conversation; conversational."

Argh!! Isn't there another word that basically means archaic that starts with the letter C?

eyeresist wrote:
Quote:
salaryman-style mother

Was going to query this, but I guess "office lady" has more of a part-timer, work-until-pregnant implication?

Yes, that's right. Especially considering this article...
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I agree with most of what Erin said about Fairy Tail. I thought the first 30-40 episodes were ok. A bit derivative but it had some entertaining moments. However, I think for what is an ensemble cast it relies too much on Natsu to beat the big bad all the time. It also seems that everybody in the show has a tragic past, and it becomes too much and too formulaic. The show also kills its most dramatic moments when people die, by not letting them stay dead. This just felt like a lack of balls on the creator's part. Yea, I know its shounen but still. Somewhere around episode 50, the Nirvana arc, the show gets significantly weaker imho. So, I don't think Erin is going to enjoy where it goes from here.

I agree. I really want to like this show, so much that I can forgive so many things. But honestly, I am sick and tired of the emotional detachment I have with practically all the characters. I don't know why that is, since I feel like it has many aspects in it that get me emotionally involved. Perhaps it is the annoying use of comedy when it isn't warranted. Others have said this in the past, but I really feel it is as if Mashima is intentionally trolling the fandom. Also the LOL!random introduction of a loli is like totally FFS facepalm! I was seriously considering dropping it after the conclusion of that arc, the ending of which I thought was poorly handled I hope Erin can make it to Edolas, which I thought was one of the better parts of the series. But maybe that's because Happy is the one character I can empathize with, which says a lot either about me or the series I suppose.
erinfinnegan wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
Quote:
Some characters speak in highly decorative, colloquial English, in sharp contrast to Ryner's modern slang

Erm, colloquial English = modern slang.

Colloquial: "Characteristic of or appropriate to the spoken language or to writing that seeks the effect of speech; informal. 2. Relating to conversation; conversational."

Argh!! Isn't there another word that basically means archaic that starts with the letter C?

I don't think there is, but I certainly have seen people misuse colloquial in the same manner as you. I prefer classic or classical, which doesn't carry the same connotation as archaic. Not a C word per se, but anachronistic also comes to mind.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Can't think of one off-hand. How about "anachronistic"?
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
Quote:
salaryman-style mother

Yes, that's right. Especially considering this article...

This is just a side note, but... while I agree with most of the intent of the article from my own perspective and knowledge, I don't see many sources at all to back up the statistics. For anyone who views the link, take that into account as you read it.

On the topic, Junko is definitely an "OL"... but she's aware of the problems with her role and I definitely feel the spite in her words. She's Urobuchi's favorite character that he created, so she has a heavily fleshed-out backstory we don't exactly know much about. Not to mention, her reversed family role was part of the intentional conception of her character--Urobuchi wanted to reverse the role of husband/father and wife/mother. Not that it wasn't obvious, but it's nice to know it's been confirmed (a la massive official guidebook interview).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why Junko is considered an "office lady" when she had a salary that supported her whole family (without the need for a second income), and she implied that she wanted to get a promotion. It did seem like there was a lot more to her character that we just didn't get to see. It's very interesting that the show's creator gave her a full backstory, and it shows in her characterization despite her overall lack of screentime. I wish I could read that book!

(Hey, what do ya know, you can actually write out a whole post about a Madoka character without using spoiler tags! That's not a criticism of Madoka; quite the opposite: almost every other character's arc is so integral to the plot that you can barely talk about them without the risk of spoiling someone who hasn't watched the show yet. Pretty cool, if you ask me!)
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
I really don't see why so many people don't like DenYuuDen. It's an amazing series, filled with magic, action, romance, drama and strategy. It's such a deep series. Honestly, it goes on my top 10 anime. I think people need to definitely take a second look. But yes, Ian Sinclair does quite badly as Lyner (Ryner, whatever), and there are so many rewritten lines that it's maddening. What used to be a touching, straight-to-the-heart line is watered down. I know they changed Ferris's "Welcome home", and Lyner's "Yeah... I'm home" when Lyner comes back from his beserk mode. I was pretty irritated about that. I've watched this series once before in Japanese while it was running, and usually try to listen to the dub the second time around, but it was so bad I couldn't do it this time.

There is so much beauty in this series. I just wish people could understand it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't understand why Junko is considered an "office lady" when she had a salary that supported her whole family (without the need for a second income), and she implied that she wanted to get a promotion. It did seem like there was a lot more to her character that we just didn't get to see. It's very interesting that the show's creator gave her a full backstory, and it shows in her characterization despite her overall lack of screentime. I wish I could read that book!

I bought my own copy and read it in Japanese, but it was later translated and put onto this wikia. I will note some major translation errors (more like errors in transition from Japanese to English rather than simple translation errors), but I do believe the part where Urobuchi talks about Junko is fine, since I did compare and contrast that part before to confirm its reliability.

As for "OL," the "OL" in Japan makes a salary, but it's still not that of a man's, so it's typically not enough for an entire family... but it doesn't seem like that was really talked about as much, so I don't know her actual situation. Promotion is possible for women, too, in OL jobs. This is a somewhat futuristic-style setting, so there might be slight changes, but whether or not Urobuchi thought of how she could make a sufficient salary, I'm pretty sure that wasn't necessarily important for her character, so it wasn't really talked about.
That said, "salaryman" and "OL" are pretty gendered and there are hardly many cases where there are males or females who fit the opposite role, so... Junko is definitely special. Maybe she "could" be considered a "salarywoman" in this special setting after all. I'd be interested to hear Urobuchi's stance on this. =P
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Am I the only person on this planet who thought that ending oPuella Magi Madoka Magica was sad.

I don't know. Maybe you can find out in a thread that's about volume 3.

it's all up now crackle, hulu and crucnhyroll for legal streaming so people really can't use the excuse "i haven't seen the ending yet"

Yes they can, because this is a review of volume 2. Keep the discussion to stuff about volume 2. If you can't, then don't say anything. Shouldn't be a hard concept to follow.

fine fine... i will just keep my mouth shut lawl

that aside WEGEE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Erin, why do you always fill your columns with so many references and links to non-anime? Anime hyper
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Erin, why do you always fill your columns with so many references and links to non-anime? Anime hyper

Probably because I was a film major in college...? Anime exists in film and television formats, right? So why not consider it in comparison to films and TV shows, animated or not, from other countries? Why not compare manga to comics from around the world? Surely manga and anime influence artists and directors who are not Japanese, and likewise, creators of manga and anime consume media from outside Japan on occasion.

Even though Shelf Life is such a time commitment that perhaps 95% of what I watch is anime, I do occasionally have time to watch something else. I suspect the hardest-core readers of the column may only watch anime to the exclusion of all else, but surely they've seen some live action content at some point.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Probably because I was a film major in college...? Anime exists in film and television formats, right? So why not consider it in comparison to films and TV shows, animated or not, from other countries? Why not compare manga to comics from around the world? Surely manga and anime influence artists and directors who are not Japanese, and likewise, creators of manga and anime consume media from outside Japan on occasion.

Even though Shelf Life is such a time commitment that perhaps 95% of what I watch is anime, I do occasionally have time to watch something else. I suspect the hardest-core readers of the column may only watch anime to the exclusion of all else, but surely they've seen some live action content at some point.

I would have to agree the guy that wrote and did umineko was greatly influenced by old western mystery novels. He went out of his way to even mention and add characters in that relate to classic writers such as S. S. Van Dine or Monsignor Ronald A. Knox "dlanor a knox in the game" with rules set in place. Yes anything can inspire to write....Okay i will let my fan-boyism go for now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thenix

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

I think you are mostly kidding but I enjoy the references. Anime is entertainment, just another choice like movies books or cartoons. It's all relevant
vagabond007

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
holy vhs batman, seriously though nice shelves matt b.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link, Juno016. I really like what Urobochi says about Madoka's mom:

Quote:
Why did you make Junko, Madoka's mother, the way she looks in the anime?
UROBUCHI: I had wanted to create such a character. For one, it is rare to see a mother who is macho and strong-minded in mahou shoujo works. Also I thought that to provide a reason for Madoka to become aware of heroism, it is perhaps more convincing for her to have such a family background. Because she will grow up while watching the back of an adult who is very close to her and has carved out the path of her own fate by herself.
Usually in anime that would be the role played by a father.
UROBUCHI: That's right. But I thought it would be good to have a family which does not confine itself to ideas like it must be men's role to makes all the heroic moves. I wanted to have some concrete example where women can also be heroic and strong. That being said, so (the next thing is:) OK, so what is a heroic mother like? The fact that after much consideration I gave her a speech style of a yankee [delinquent girl] is purely my own taste (LOL)

The interview doesn't mention anything about her job, but it's interesting that they specifically wanted to subvert gender roles so that Madoka could have a "heroic influence" that she could better relate to!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4