• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Will Not Be Origin Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I loved the live-action Speed Racer. It captured the spirit of the series perfectly.

But we're talking about a really terrible series that would otherwise be completely unremarkable if it weren't one of the chosen few to have been dubbed for American audiences decades ago. Cult fans like it either because they're nostaglic or for the raw camp value, which is the entire reasoning of the movie. If anything, the movie was an improvement.

Cowboy Bebop is a totally different story, because it's an actually good series, and well-respected in both Japan and America.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
chan wai wrote:
Since Shinichiro Watanabe himself is involve, it has given me some comfidence that the adaptation won't be lousy. But the problem now is who is gonna be the director? Quentin Tarantino or the Wachowski Brothers would be nice. Smile

Well, if you can't get Ridley Scott... but frankly the Wachowski Brothers so far seem like one-hit wonders. I wasn't all that impressed with V for Vendetta, and Speed Racer bombed. Quentin would be... hmmm, Kill Bill, or Jackie Brown? Maybe.

While Bebop the Movie will likely be an action flick considering the arc they've chosen, I'm more attracted by the noir aspects. Hence my flash thought of Blade Runner. I'm hoping for gritty realism vs. shiny cartoon. Unfortunately, I pretty much abandoned live action a few years ago, so I'm not current on directors.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:
You never saw any Firefly, did you? Stop talking like you have.

I think we've all seen enough of Whedon in one form or another. The guy's one-liners are the only thing he's got going for him.

Quote:
But we're talking about a really terrible series that would otherwise be completely unremarkable if it weren't one of the chosen few to have been dubbed for American audiences decades ago. If anything, the movie was an improvement.

Yes, the Speed Racer movie was such an improvement over the anime that it was neither about speeding nor about racing. Laughing

pparker: QT's what you call a one-plagiarist wonder. Rolling Eyes '

Anyway, I think the I, Robot guy could do Bebop right.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
Oh Gods.
I just had a horrible vision...
Spike<->Faye Love Interest.

Wouldn't be surprised, anything can happen in Hollywood. But since this isn't an origin story, anything is again possible. There is new light and new paths that the characters could take.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Aw, c'mon, you didn't simply adore Whedon's signature "OMG LOOK HOW COOL THIS IS, WE ARE SO NOT PART OF THAT 'ME TOO' MENTALITY!" and "LOL I SPEW POP CULTURE REFERENCES LIKE IT'S ORIGINAL AND KITSCHY DIALOGUE LIKE IT IS SO AWESOME" style?

Stop acting like I'm attacking you when I was insulting Mr. Kitschy Dialogue. Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I think we've all seen enough of Whedon in one form or another. The guy's one-liners are the only thing he's got going for him.

This is not an argument. You have nothing of value to contribute.

Quote:
Yes, the Speed Racer movie was such an improvement over the anime that it was neither about speeding nor about racing.

Except that it was what the entire movie was about the entire time. Did you see it?

Really, GATSU, that's quite enough. Your trolling is tiresome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
pparker: QT's what you call a one-plagiarist wonder. Rolling Eyes '

Yeah, but his plagiarism beats 90% of the originals on any given day, or did. Reservoir Dogs, True Romance and Pulp Fiction are some of the best scripts of all time, and I'm not winking.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Eh, regardless of who wrote the initial screenplay treatment, you have to admit most anime have pretty "meh" writing. CB had really good scripting, but anything they do for DB Evolution, for example, has to be marginally better than the awful scripting in DBZ.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Indeed. Sorry GATSU, but if you're not going to do anything in the thread aside from talk down to others just because they disagree with you, and fling baseless accusations that are little more than saying "I think it sucks" with more words, then you have nothing to contribute and you're done here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Anyway, I think the I, Robot guy could do Bebop right.

That's Alex Proyas, who also directed The Crow and Dark City. I agree, and also think he'd be the right guy to direct a Ghost in the Shell live-action film. I think he'd actually be a bit better on the latter, given his tendency to use detectives as lead characters or prominent supporting ones. (That, and I'd love to have him bring in Bridget Moynahan as Kusanagi.)

In any case, yes-- I could see him doing it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Aw, c'mon, you didn't simply adore Whedon's signature "OMG LOOK HOW COOL THIS IS, WE ARE SO NOT PART OF THAT 'ME TOO' MENTALITY!" and "LOL I SPEW POP CULTURE REFERENCES LIKE IT'S ORIGINAL AND KITSCHY DIALOGUE LIKE IT IS SO AWESOME" style?

I have. Neat idea. Neat little series. Not really amazing, but that's why it's a cult hit. However, Serenity is still an amateur effort at best and an example of great dialogue not begetting good writing at worst.

The best thing that Whedon put out, (okay, not really, just the thing I like best) is Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:

Neither does Whedon. Laughing And if it's not an argument, then why am I not alone on that subject?

Quote:
Except that it was what the entire movie was about the entire time. Did you see it?

Yes, I did, and the entire movie consisted of the characters discussing the races and the cars and industrial espionage, with only about a fraction of it showing any actual racing.

pparker:
Quote:
Yeah, but his plagiarism beats 90% of the originals on any given day, or did. Reservoir Dogs, True Romance and Pulp Fiction are some of the best scripts of all time, and I'm not winking.

You really should check out City on Fire and Band of Outsiders before you say that.

Keonyn: I explained why I don't like Whedon. He's always more interested in sounding witty than he is in delivering on the action and adventure aspects he touts in his productions.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
penguin:
Quote:

Neither does Whedon. Laughing And if it's not an argument, then why am I not alone on that subject?

Quote:

Yes, I did, and the entire movie consisted of the characters discussing the races and the cars and industrial espionage, with only about a fraction of it showing any actual racing.

pparker:
Quote:

You really should check out City on Fire and Band of Outsiders before you say that.

Keonyn: I explained why I don't like Whedon. He's always more interested in sounding witty than he is in delivering on the action and adventure aspects he touts in his productions.

Yup, and ALL of this tripe is completely IRRELEVANT to the topic at hand. Congratulations.

If I can suffer fans like you, I can live with Keanu as Spike quite easily.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
honestly I don't see it necessary for them to do an origin story. It would be a waste of time to do one in the movie, and to be frank we don't really find that much out about any of the main characters until further along in the story that is to say the 1st episode wasn't an introduction to Spike and Jet it kind of just started with the red eye story and as the episode progressed you got a feel for how the characters were until they eventually explained their pasts in latter episodes. I have no problem with them just jumping right into the story with the movie, knowing Spike's past at this point is nonessential.
rekoloki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I feel with all of this we are getting nowhere fast. We are all going to have to wait till the movie comes out. I want to throw my 2 cents in, but seriously, it is pointless. Depending on how things go this movie can be either a hit or a flop, we will have to wait till release day to really find out. And after mulling this over for a few days is have come to an odd conclusion and concern

That concern is this, if this movie flops in the theaters, it might prevent any other Anime's coming to the big screen in live action in the US for a very long time. After the debacle of Speedracer, no matter how accurate it may have been it was a 100 Million dollar movie that did nothing in the box office. This becomes a real worry in my mind as an Anime fan. The thing about this is most people know at least a little big about what Cowboy Bebop is. Especially those of us who is between 18-28 years old, because we all stayed up late to watch it on Adult Swim at night. Even with Reeves as the lead, if there is any chance that an Anime could win the imagination of Americans in masses it is probably this one.

Agree or Disagree that's my 2 cents. Comments and flamers welcomed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8