• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Relinquishes Ro-Kyu-Bu! Home Video Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Would the Japanese even know about something like the Sandusky thing? That seems like something only Americans would care abotu since it was an American football coach.

Believe it or not, the whole case is now of worldwide knowledge around the world, even in countries when American football is not popular.

Besides, this is not the first time the Japanese are trying not to doing something that can create an scandal with the U.S., their ally.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
[
the media company/right holders in japan probably doesn't want the publicity if it does. I watched some of the show uncut and it's now worse than strike witches, dance in the vampire or even kohime muso which are all licensed. It's just a guess on my end...

Thats ridiculous. RKB has nothing on any of those shows in terms of service.

RIGHT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXk6bnjkdg&feature=BFa&list=HL1340843491
Bath scene groping, maid outfits, and panty shoots because girls flipped up their skirts.... ya nothing in terms of fan service.

Theres no nudity though, which is the most important thing. Strike Witches, Dance in the Vampire Bund and Koihime Musou all show loli nipples, which is a much bigger thing then dressing some little girl up like a maid.

oh trust me that was from a broadcast version of those episodes and we all know that blurays and dvds are uncensored. so count the number of times you would see loli bobies because it happens alot more often then dance (the only one I have actually seen (edited the only way I would), and I would be the only person who would buy it edited).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
[
the media company/right holders in japan probably doesn't want the publicity if it does. I watched some of the show uncut and it's now worse than strike witches, dance in the vampire or even kohime muso which are all licensed. It's just a guess on my end...

Thats ridiculous. RKB has nothing on any of those shows in terms of service.

RIGHT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXk6bnjkdg&feature=BFa&list=HL1340843491
Bath scene groping, maid outfits, and panty shoots because girls flipped up their skirts.... ya nothing in terms of fan service.

Theres no nudity though, which is the most important thing. Strike Witches, Dance in the Vampire Bund and Koihime Musou all show loli nipples, which is a much bigger thing then dressing some little girl up like a maid.

oh trust me that was from a broadcast version of those episodes and we all know that blurays and dvds are uncensored. so count the number of times you would see loli bobies because it happens alot more often then dance (the only one I have actually seen (edited the only way I would), and I would be the only person who would buy it edited).

Blu rays aren't uncensored, just less steam.

http://aisle-h.com/2011/09/30/ro-kyu-bu-episode-1-uncensored-preview/ (NSFW link)

As you can see here, they still have soap covering them.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
and we all know that blurays and dvds are uncensored. so count the number of times you would see loli bobies because it happens alot more often then dance (the only one I have actually seen (edited the only way I would), and I would be the only person who would buy it edited).

Except that RKB doesn't have nipples...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I have a hard time believing the Japanese production company asked for the buy-back out of concern about how this title would be perceived in North America. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when has a Japanese license holder ever given a crap about perceptions outside their native market?
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

There really isn't much difference between broadcast and BD.

http://www.kira-reviews.com/blog/archives/1125

And that's certianly no where near the level of the other fanservice shows that got listed in the little tiff.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
I'm probably the only person sad about this Sad

Very sad here too. The Ro-Kyu-Bu cast was great too. Kana Hanazawa, Yoko Hikasa, Yuka Iguchi, Rina Hidaka, and Yui Ogura.

Quote:

There really isn't much difference between broadcast and BD.

I don't know why people were really expecting that much of a difference. You know it has lolis meaning that they can only go so far.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have a hard time believing the Japanese production company asked for the buy-back out of concern about how this title would be perceived in North America. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when has a Japanese license holder ever given a crap about perceptions outside their native market?

Not North America, everywhere not Asia. And it is not at all that hard to believe that someone on the production committee changed their mind, or wasn't thinking it through when they first ok'ed this and said let's just buy it back just incase or something similar. Hell any number of things could have happened, maybe someone caught wind of the Sandusky trial who hadn't heard of it before and thought now was not the best time for a show like this being released. Little kids, playing sports, in showers, no similarities there with Sandusky Laughing . Who knows.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Not North America, everywhere not Asia. And it is not at all that hard to believe that someone on the production committee changed their mind, or wasn't thinking it through when they first ok'ed this and said let's just buy it back just incase or something similar. Hell any number of things could have happened, maybe someone caught wind of the Sandusky trial who hadn't heard of it before and thought now was not the best time for a show like this being released. Little kids, playing sports, in showers, no similarities there with Sandusky Laughing . Who knows.

Minori has held back on H scenes in mangagamers release of EF. but is because they are afraid of them getting back to japan. not because it might get bad press though that is a side reason.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Prede wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Minori has held back on H scenes in mangagamers release of EF. but is because they are afraid of them getting back to japan. not because it might get bad press though that is a side reason.

sigh it's a dvd only was only release. Otaku are notorious for wanting blu-ray only hd stuff now. Basically the highest of high quailty not low res region restricted dvd's. With our encodes being 5-6 episodes per disc is not on their high list of reverse importation, epically when the subs are hard encoded onto the file.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuScr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
A pity. I don't subscribe to TAN, but I'd been planning on buying this.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I am puzzled with this development. On the bright side, Ro-Kyu-Bu! seems like a dumb series. I hope the same thing does not happen to great series like Kids on the Slope.
notazaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Otaku may prefer high quality releases but I recall reverse importation fears predating Blu-ray. It wouldn’t surprise me if some companies in Japan are paranoid enough to fear even a cheap R1 DVD only release. Might explain Section 23’s release of Papillon Rose.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
It can't be reverse-importation, as Sentai was only doing a Sub-only DVD release.

That would mean it would be MORE attractive for Japanese viewers since the default audio is their native language (just need to get rid of those dang pesky English subtitles!). Yeah, some Japanese viewers like watching English anime dubs (such as Lucky Star), but it doesn't REPLACE their native audio. Anime hyper

This doesn't affect me too much, since I had never even heard of this series before anyway, but it's kinda similar to Sailor Moon's situation, only that was more a case of letting all non-Japanese licenses expire as opposed to a buyback.

This series would've probably tanked anyway.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Terriyaki Terrier wrote:
While this is a anime, the fact remains there is a older male lead and five very young female cast members. Given the recent scandal involving several coaches in USA (namely the Sandusky trial)...
Yes, an "older" male lead with a whole four or maybe five year age difference between him and the girls. Totally the same as the Sandusky situation.

In terms of visual fanservice (fetish/cosplay outfits, gym uniforms, bathing scenes, pantyshots, swimsuits, basketball played while in swimsuits, etc.), Ro-Kyu-Bu certainly had enough controversial loli material to make skittish conservative websites like TVTropes apoplectic. But in terms of character interactions, I wouldn't say it was that bad. The girls' actions were more rooted in innocent girlish crushes on an older boy, rather than Kodomo no Jikan-style seductions. And while Subaru occasionally finds himeself blushing over the girls' antics, he never preys on or exploits them. The closest he comes to that is... having one girl come to his house for the occasional morning/afterschool basketball practice, with his mother occasionally inviting her in for a meal.

This is just material covered by the anime, though; I don't know what else the source material gets into.

sigh it's a dvd only release. Otaku are notorious for wanting blu-ray only hd stuff now. Basically the highest of high quailty not low res region restricted dvd's. With our encodes being 5-6 episodes per disc is not on their high list of reverse importation, epically when the subs are hard encoded onto the file.
I was going to say the same thing -- I doubt Japanese otaku are chomping at the bit to import a DVD-only release with 6 bitrate-starved episodes per disc. Though since when are Sentai's subs hardcoded into the videos?

notazaku wrote:
It wouldn’t surprise me if some companies in Japan are paranoid enough to fear even a cheap R1 DVD only release. Might explain Section 23’s release of Papillon Rose.
That's a different situation, as Papillon Rose didn't have a Blu-Ray release in Japan. That would've been cheap R1 DVDs competing against expensive R2J DVDs, which... were probably out of production by that point anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10