• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Unfinished Business

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I have never heard of the term 'cours' before, sounds French.
There's so much unfinished anime that I wish to be finished:
Hikaru no Go - they never finished the last arc of the manga "The Hokuto Cup"
Kekkaishi - it was left open-ended enough that they can do a second season, since the manga concluded I've been hoping they'd animate a second season.
Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas - seriously the manga concluded, where's my third season.
Saint Seiya - I've seen the Spanish dub of the series and watched the entire Hades arc, although the ending felt abrupt, we don't even know what happened to Seiya, and the fifth Saint Seiya movie ended abruptly as well, it felt unfinished.
Fruits Basket - I wished for a second season since the manga concluded.
Glass Mask - we don't even find out who was chosen to play The Crimson Goddess, then again the manga hasn't finished either.
Gokusen - The series was left open-ended, but I wish they would animate a second season since the manga concluded a long time ago.
Bleach - hoping for the Quincy War arc to be animated someday.
Banner of the Stars - it feels like there was more to tell in the story.
Twelve Kingdoms - They still have a bunch of novels to animate
Moribito - I would like to see the rest of the novels animated
Durarara!! - Celty didn't even find her head -_-
Haré+Guu - Felt unfinished with the last thing we saw was Weda going to confront her older siblings.
Project ARMS - it had a different ending compared to the manga and just like Fullmetal Alchemist went in a different direction so did Project Arms.
Rurouni Kenshin - I want the Revenge arc animated o.o
Robotech: The Sentinels - we do have a film, but would have liked to see the rest of it animated.
Silent Möbius - we never got to see the final battle with the Lucifer Hawks or Genossa
Slam Dunk - never got to see the final arc animated.
Trinity Blood - rest of the novel wasn't animated.
Zatch Bell! - we didn't get to see the final arc animated.
Story of Saiunkoku - with the novels finally finished, it time to animate the third season
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

It is French.

The Japanese term, "kuuru" (クール) is a corruption of the French "Cours"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I never even finished Tytania. I quit about fourteen episodes in because it was complete garbage. It's like the Jimmy Hart version of LoGH, with a similar set up, but with no real memorable characters, dialogue, themes, or combat. I could tell early on it was going nowhere, but I kept on because I loved LoGH so much. I can't even remember half of it, because I either blocked it out of my mind or it just wasn't memorable to begin with.

The worst part was the complete waste of Katsuyuki Konishi as Fan. Konishi should never be put in a role that sucky.

I guess I sort of have myself to blame, though, staying as long as I did. I just wanted Fan to do something, for f**k's sake!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
It would've been great if they'd finished Elf Princess Rane and Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Tytania isn't even just an unfinished work, I thought Tanaka had thrown it to the side two decades ago because even he felt he had written it into a corner.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Dragon Half! A show famous for being only two episodes of wacky comedy you gotta be high to understand.

Or animate it, seeing as how the animators were arrested after the second episode for possession of illegal narcotics.

As for His and Her Circumstances, the author hated how the anime turned out. Hated. Too much comedy, not enough romance, she refused to allow Gainax to make a second season. Following that, Hideaki Anno left production, thus what we got for 14, 15, 19, 24, and 25 was completely different.
Schoolie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
LOVE the love for my favorite show - The Big O, and its story of two seasons. I, too, was satisfied with the abrupt, gutsy "To be continued" finish of episode 13 (with all of its twists and turns).

Cartoon Network's announcement to co-produce for a second season is probably the very tip of anime's "boom years" in America. And the second season didn't disappoint, upping the craziness and, for the most part, providing enough information to make sense.

It's already been mentioned, but Trinity Blood ended in a clumpy mess. Wasn't this partly due to the original creator's untimely death?

The series had a lot of potential with several characters introduced in various episodes. But the ending tried to cram together plot threads dealing with the main characters/villains. It's a shame, because a more polished show could find fans from the recent years of vampire-love.

Also, what about Ergo Proxy? That was a 26-episode show that had a worthy climax. But there seemed to be a whole new story to tell in the aftermath.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
There's so much unfinished anime that I wish to be finished:

Rurouni Kenshin - I want the Revenge arc animated o.o

That had a conclusive ending in Samurai X: Reflections, it just had a radically different ending than the manga. Now I would love to see a remake done closer to the manga, without annoying children, inaccurate portrayal of Kenshin, and the Revenge arc animated to end it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Schoolie wrote:
LOVE the love for my favorite show - The Big O, and its story of two seasons. I, too, was satisfied with the abrupt, gutsy "To be continued" finish of episode 13 (with all of its twists and turns).

Cartoon Network's announcement to co-produce for a second season is probably the very tip of anime's "boom years" in America. And the second season didn't disappoint, upping the craziness and, for the most part, providing enough information to make sense.

It's already been mentioned, but Trinity Blood ended in a clumpy mess. Wasn't this partly due to the original creator's untimely death?

The series had a lot of potential with several characters introduced in various episodes. But the ending tried to cram together plot threads dealing with the main characters/villains. It's a shame, because a more polished show could find fans from the recent years of vampire-love.

Also, what about Ergo Proxy? That was a 26-episode show that had a worthy climax. But there seemed to be a whole new story to tell in the aftermath.

I liked Ergo Proxy and agree it had a good climax, and it set the stage for a possible sequel.
thecritter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree with all of Mike's column and most of the comments here. However, the show that ticks me off the most is not Japanese, it's Canadian: Reboot! After three seasons of remarkable wit and drama and a badly-drawn mini-series that was called season four, it ended on a maddening cliffhanger.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
thecritter wrote:
However, the show that ticks me off the most is not Japanese, it's Canadian: Reboot! After three seasons of remarkable wit and drama and a badly-drawn mini-series that was called season four, it ended on a maddening cliffhanger.

Arrrgh man, yeah, you just reminded me of this, it's like, the ultimate cliffhanger! One more "movie" thing could've probably finished it up too! And what sort of stuff is Rainmaker making instead? Those freakin' CGI Barbie movies! On the plus side, they do want to make a conclusion to Reboot at some point. Sadly though, Tony Jay, the voice of Megabyte, passed away some years ago, and Megabyte had a damn sexy voice. Thus, my replacement voice nomination is Steven Blum channeling Morgan Freeman. Or vice versa, not really quite sure.

But yeah, all those poor OVAs. When it comes to series that are mostly advertisements for their manga, and since I read manga, those don't bother me as much. So your Please Save My Earths, Twin Spicas and Fruits Baskets, they don't bother me as much (well PSME kinda does upset me as what they did adapt was so well done!). But then when it comes to things that weren't adapted from something that completed in manga/novel form, well those don't really have any chance of ever being completed as they only existed in OVA form. Or perhaps anime form, "anime first" sort of thing. But then what do you do when the manga itself is still on hiatus? Like X? Did CLAMP get bored or something? They must be able to find some magazine to print it now, they're CLAMP!

Still, when it comes to OVAs and TV series, I consider myself lucky if:
1) It's episodic, thus an ending isn't really needed. Usually it'll have to be comedy (Golden Boy, Here is Greenwood), but it can be drama (Mushishi), so even when it doesn't adapt a fraction of the original manga, at least you don't get that empty feeling.
2) I can find the full manga (Fruits Basket, Twin Spica, Hikaru no Go)
3) It doesn't feel like a total "go read the manga" trailer (Cipher, lol)
4) It tries to have some semblance of an ending rather than just throwing a "The End" title card out of nowhere. Sure, it might not be a good end, but I tend to prefer a bad ending to no ending at all. I can accept a more open ended thing on romcoms (those things usually end when the couple has finally decided to be a couple anyway, and since most of them seem to involve high schoolers, having them get married would be unusual unless it's a distant finale). But I do appreciate some closure.

That said, I think Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi would've been better with no ending at all. Seriously, we were watching the series for the completely insane parodies, not the actual plot of "Trying to get back home" anyway.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Tenamonya Voyagers! I actually bought that on a whim a few months back during a foray to Half Price Books. It was strangely enjoyable [and enjoyably strange], with the lazy ending feeling appropriate. There was something legitimately strange about it, though, in that watching it really made my eyes hurt and I don't know quite why.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Big O: 9 years later, I still say it needs a third season! CN and Sunrise need to make it happen!

Air Gear: Oh god, just Air Gear. 25 episodes is not enough! It's a slap in the face to all of us who ever watched it AND read the manga! At least do a reboot that's actually faithful like we got with Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist! The Behemoth arc alone is proof of this.

Great Teacher Onizuka: It just stops after the Okinawa arc? What the hell? (Although in hindsight, it just no longer makes sense in an era with cell phones and the Internet.)

The Heroic Legend of Arslan: We need more episodes--perhaps a shot-for-shot remake of the OVA to start, then continue on with the adventures of Arslan and his cronies as they fight to liberate Pars from Rucitania. Why did they have to just stop the show after 6 episodes? Also, any English dub MUST KEEP THE BRITISH VOICE ACTORS FROM THE OVA. The New York dub of eps 5-6 was utter crap. The Manga UK dub fits the setting. Also, it has Peter Marinker in it, so you know it's good. We need our ancient civilizations to speak with British accents because America doesn't have that kind of history.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings on Heroic Legend of Arslan, myself... I adore that show. It's one of my all-time favorites, and I'd love to see an ending. At the same time- I genuinely have my doubts that anyone today could really do that show justice. I'll take a non-ending over a bad cash-in any day.

For me, the biggest ending dissapointment I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already is Melody of Oblivion. Yes, yes, I know it techincally wrapped up, but I didn't like the feel of it at all. Basically, the show said to me, "and all this stuff happened, but then things basically stayed the same." C'mon dudes, at least let me think our hero made a difference somehow! Although, that might not really fit the show... but still.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I have mixed feelings on Heroic Legend of Arslan, myself... I adore that show. It's one of my all-time favorites, and I'd love to see an ending. At the same time- I genuinely have my doubts that anyone today could really do that show justice. I'll take a non-ending over a bad cash-in any day.

For me, the biggest ending dissapointment I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already is Melody of Oblivion. Yes, yes, I know it techincally wrapped up, but I didn't like the feel of it at all. Basically, the show said to me, "and all this stuff happened, but then things basically stayed the same." C'mon dudes, at least let me think our hero made a difference somehow! Although, that might not really fit the show... but still.

Ufotable could definitely pull off Arslan, and so could Production I.G.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4