• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Detail Monster Anime, L: Change the World's Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
RedTail wrote:
Too bad they didn't bring this out earlier. I'm at the point now where I'm pretty much committed to Blu-ray. Unless Monster is getting a simultaneous BD release, I doubt I'll be touching it anytime soon.
If the show wasn't made in HD, is there really that much difference between Blu-Ray and upscaled DVD?
Hannish Lightning wrote:
I swear to God viz, you better give me Monster in seasoned sets and not in single volumes at $30 a pop.
"Seasoned" sets? "When cooking Monster DVD sets, be sure to use a little thyme and parsley to bring out the full flavor."

They'd also be great served on brown rice. Laughing

About time Viz announced SOMETHING with Monster. Due to its length, they'd better do season box sets like they did with Buso Renkin, because I'm not looking to pay $25-30 for single discs that take up an assload of shelf space.

@ nx6: 1995 called. They want their whining against anime edits back. The show's already set in GERMANY to begin with--how much more Western can you get?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I for one have been waiting FARRRRRRRR to long for this show to finally come out, I am so freaking excited I can hardly wait. Hopefully Viz will be releasing Another Monster also now that the Manga has finally been released and 20th Century Boy and Pluto are coming.

Me too, but then you probabally already know that. Wink

I'm also hoping to get this in season sets, and that's probabally the only way this thing is marketable since it's so freaking addictive you'd need to watch it in chunks of episodes. Anyway, this is great news. but I want to know now not "soon", I've been patient enough for years now. Anime cry
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
nx6 wrote:
Dear Viz,

Please to not edit this anime or "westernize" it in any way. Monster is an adult anime, not in the Hentai sense, but in the "targeted for someone other than kids" sense. Those of us who are fans of this show would like the dub script to be the same as the Japanese script, ten dollars vocabulary and all.

Thank you.

why would they edit it?

Seriously. Death Note, Bleach, Naruto (DVDs), etc. were all unedited. Why would this be any different?

Not to mention Viz doesn't do the dubbing themselves anyway......
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Iniksbane wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it. Viz is starting to develop this annoying habit of licensing shows I want to see and then NEVER releasing them (NANA and Honey and Clover.)

While news of Monster being licensed finally is great, I have to agree with you on this end. I got giddy upon hearing news of NANA being licensed over a year ago. But, I have yet to hear release plans for the series. It's an issue I have with Viz right now.

At the panel they mentioned "sometime this year" for the release of Nana and Honey and Clover in box sets.

How honest do you think that is? I mean at this point between Sony's sort of release of Blood + and Viz's "we'll get to it sometime," and Media Blasters eventually getting around to releasing Seirei no Moribito it doesn't exactely fill me with optimism about any company that isn't Bandai or Funi right now.

Granted, I'd love for them to prove me wrong.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
Dear Viz,

Please to not edit this anime or "westernize" it in any way. Monster is an adult anime, not in the Hentai sense, but in the "targeted for someone other than kids" sense. Those of us who are fans of this show would like the dub script to be the same as the Japanese script, ten dollars vocabulary and all.

Thank you.

Sometimes changing the Japanese script is a good thing. I don't think the Yu Yu Hakusho dub would have been well like if Funi stuck with the Japanese script even ADV's Ghost Stories was turned into comedy gold with a script change.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Nobody could bring out first releases in 26 episodes each with a dub (since Monster is reportedly being dubbed).

Source?

Kruszer wrote:
Me too, but then you probabally already know that. Wink

Indeed there's a quite few people on these boards who like myself are rejoicing in hearing that Monster may finally be coming to the US shores......and we've waited far too long and speculated for way too long and now it's real.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
nx6 wrote:
Dear Viz,

Thank you.

Sometimes changing the Japanese script is a good thing. I don't think the Yu Yu Hakusho dub would have been well like if Funi stuck with the Japanese script even ADV's Ghost Stories was turned into comedy gold with a script change.

You sure he doesn't mean sticking to a literal translation? If they did use a very literal translation for both the sub and the dub, that would suck--overly literal translations result in loss of stylistic flavor. (i.e., if the moonspeak says "konna toki ni", some people might think it just HAS to be translated as "even at a time like this", which sounds completely ridiculous in English.)
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
nx6 wrote:
Dear Viz,

Thank you.

why would they edit it?

Seriously. Death Note, Bleach, Naruto (DVDs), etc. were all unedited. Why would this be any different?

Not to mention Viz doesn't do the dubbing themselves anyway......

Yup If I remember right its done by the Ocean Group
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
I'm also very glad to see Monster coming from Viz. This is the kind of series that really lifts anime up.

I've tried several times to get my frined to read Monster, to no avail. I hope sticking DVDs in his face will make him wake up to how good anime really can be, beyond the usual anime stuff we get.

Like the Nana thing though, I think I'll have to hold onto my fansubs of Monster, til their is something I can buy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Source?

IIRC, there was like a whole thread devoted to it in the "Anime" section of ANN, check it out.
Togashi_D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
If they do release Monster, in box sets, I would expect it to be in 5 sets and not 3. Monster being 74 episodes: 15 episodes a box set would be 5 sets.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
Please to not edit this anime or "westernize" it in any way.

Uh.... Monster's set in the west - in Germany and Czechoslovakia. If they decide to translate any Japanese honorifics into Western titles, I'd actually be happy.

SongstressCela wrote:
It's just a shame Viz has it. With the way they treat DVDs we'll get a crap dub and no boxsets. Have fun buying some 15-20 DVDs at full price, fans.

Well, I'm glad I don't watch dubs then...

... but seriously, Viz would be stupid not to release this in box sets. It's a long series, and unlike Naruto, Bleach, etc. it's not likely to have a TV run or much merchandise, so they'll need to use strategies to encourage people to buy it. 6 or so box sets of 12-13 episodes might be the best way to go, since there won't be that many people able to spend $400 on this.[/quote]

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At the panel they mentioned "sometime this year" for the release of Nana and Honey and Clover in box sets.

Viz? Releasing something that isn't generic shounen pap in convenient box sets? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:

Viz? Releasing something that isn't generic shounen pap in convenient box sets? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

If they've seen the way the economy is blowing, they'll realize that making anime cheaper is likely the best way to get people to buy it...
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and not long ago you'd think Geneon would have said the same thing rather than releasing massively overpriced DVDs to the point that buying discs solo would almost be cheaper depending on where one looked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4