• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-Ray Part 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Sheesh. I can't believe how big a deal you guys are making of this. Nobody's going to change anyone's viewpoints, so just accept that other people have different opinions, and move on.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Sheesh. I can't believe how big a deal you guys are making of this. Nobody's going to change anyone's viewpoints, so just accept that other people have different opinions, and move on.

That's not how the internet works.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Even I'm getting sick of how every Dragonball-related thread gets turned into sub vs dub. It's gotten old. Everyone has their preference, let's just leave it at that.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
Agreed. I gave my 2 cents in this topic, only to find that it's gone in the same circle that I had warned about earlier.
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Re: Goku's Japanese voice. It's a joke folks. The Dragon Ball franchise (and Akira Toriyama's sense of humor) is ridiculous and Goku's voice ends up playing into that. Who would expect a muscle-bound dude to sound like that? It's the kind of joke that doesn't translate to other cultures that well which is why he's consistently recast in other dubs when he hits that growth spurt a little before the start of Z.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Even I'm getting sick of how every Dragonball-related thread gets turned into sub vs dub. It's gotten old. Everyone has their preference, let's just leave it at that.

When somebody's "preference" is liking the show for something it's NOT, they should be enlightened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
When somebody's "preference" is liking the show for something it's NOT, they should be enlightened.

Being completely honest here, I personally wouldn't want you to enlighten me on anything, not wth the kind of attitude you display. If you were to however change your attitude in such a way that you still give whatever criticisms you have without unnecessarily coming off as if you're on some kind horse, then maybe I would listen to what you have to say.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I suppose this means you reject my olive branch.

I would give a snappy retort but I really can't be bothered with participating in DBZ sub vs dub argument #849221 (part 2). The previous rounds kind of sucked all my enthusiasm.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
Re: Goku's Japanese voice. It's a joke folks. The Dragon Ball franchise (and Akira Toriyama's sense of humor) is ridiculous and Goku's voice ends up playing into that. Who would expect a muscle-bound dude to sound like that? It's the kind of joke that doesn't translate to other cultures that well which is why he's consistently recast in other dubs when he hits that growth spurt a little before the start of Z.

It's a natural progression of Nozawa's voice from the Dragon Ball anime as Young Son Goku. I honestly can't take that as merely being a joke, though it could play into Toriyama's humor, it's all speculation. The way I see it, it's very normal to have voice actresses doing male leads in Shounen (and generally anime targeted towards elementary kids) genres. Naruto, One Piece, Pokemon, Digimon, Gaiking, Gegege no Kitaro, and a bunch of others come to mind, so would those leads be considered a joke? (Luffy and Naruto are coming in their years, so why haven't they changed voice actresses into actors?) I do believe it's more of a culture preference indeed, but merely changing a voice actress who's gone a 100+episodes in for a male actor just for presuming with fitting in the body type, probably wouldn't sit well for a audience who's tuning in to hear familiar characters.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
noigeL wrote:

It's a natural progression of Nozawa's voice from the Dragon Ball anime as Young Son Goku. I honestly can't take that as merely being a joke, though it could play into Toriyama's humor, it's all speculation. The way I see it, it's very normal to have voice actresses doing male leads in Shounen (and generally anime targeted towards elementary kids) genres. Naruto, One Piece, Pokemon, Digimon, Gaiking, Gegege no Kitaro, and a bunch of others come to mind, so would those leads be considered a joke? (Luffy and Naruto are coming in their years, so why haven't they changed voice actresses into actors?) I do believe it's more of a culture preference indeed, but merely changing a voice actress who's gone a 100+episodes in for a male actor just for presuming with fitting in the body type, probably wouldn't sit well for a audience who's tuning in to hear familiar characters.

That's certainly part of it, yes. You could also see it as a representation of how Goku is still that same child we met at the beginning of Dragon Ball on the inside, despite growing up so much on the outside.

However, it's also part of the absurdity that is Dragon Ball. Most of the examples you've mentioned are for younger protagonists-- even though Naruto is older in Shippuden, he's still only 15, right? Still young enough for a woman to voice. But Goku is an adult; he's in his 20's when DBZ starts, yet he's still voiced by a woman. He gets more and more muscle-bound and threatening as he grows stronger, yet he still speaks in that thin, accented voice. I do think that partially plays in to the silly-ness that is Dragon Ball.

A more relavent example would be Mayo Suzukaze as Kenshin. They were probably going for a Goku-flavor when casting that character, and to that I say, those people missed the joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3