• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Aquarion EVOL TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Now to actually get on-topic: cool. I wasn't a fan of the original Aquarion series, but I kind of like this one.

Same, I wasn't a fan of the original (watched a couple of episodes and dropped it) but I really enjoyed EVOL though I think this needed a couple more episodes(felt like the writing went off the rails in the final battle but still enjoyed it).
Sorrior

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
GYRAX wrote:
This news is not too surprising since FUNi has already licensed its predecessor.

Actually in some ways it is seeing as the skipped the badass OVA and the movie.

Other than my first response was YES! But then i noticed the stream only bit. Not happy about that. I prefer owning a physical copy of something. I mean if a website goes down or you lose internet no streaming and if say your harddrive dies(which recently happened with one of mine) you can lose all data(data recovery didn't work) then you lose said data as well. Especially if the location you gof it from has died.

So yeah not happy about the stream only but i am halpy funi at least got it. May stream it just so it can get more views and we can hopefully get a dvd/blu ray release
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
*raises eyebrows* Streaming only license for a show that's already finished airing? Funi I don't get you sometimes. Now I can see them announcing the DVD/BR rights later but otherwise that seems a bit like an odd choice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
.. has licensed the Aquarion Evol television anime series for streaming.

So that means no DVD/Bluray yet?

I guess that's what we'll have to assume, it does not say anything about home video rights. Maybe they do have more rights waiting in the wing, but we go on what we do know.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering why Funi had announced this ahead of their panel, but they didn't... ^^;

I'm passing on this since I didn't even give it a glance when it aired, primarily because I paid no attention to the earlier Aquarion releases...
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
*checks FUNimation announcements*

*doesn't see an announcement about the Lain license they've been sitting on for 1 or 2 years, or anything about Sailor Moon.*

*facepalms, leaves.*

That being said, I supposed this makes Aquarion fans happy...? Honestly, I never heard too much about this series.

Lain is coming unless something happen. If you noticed the Geneon Titles are finally being released or has date announced including Artimage III, Ai Yori Aoshi, Hellsing Ultimate, Haibane-Renmei, Tenchi Universe, and more.
Maybe this will be a good excuse to finally get around to finishing the first Aquarion series.

Last edited by Supermutant on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
*raises eyebrows* Streaming only license for a show that's already finished airing? Funi I don't get you sometimes. Now I can see them announcing the DVD/BR rights later but otherwise that seems a bit like an odd choice.

I get the feeling that Funimation had little to do with that decision. IIRC, Lance and Adam said (on one of the podcasts) that streaming delays are usually requested by the Japanese.

I'm planning to watch this, since I watched the first season. I didn't think the first show was all that great, so I never bought it. Still, it was entertaining enough for a one-off watch through. I think it is probably wise of Funimation to make this "streaming only" for now. They may extend the rights if there seems to be a large enough demand for it via streaming.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
only licensed for streaming? Somewhat useless now that it's over. I would have definitely picked this up if it was released on Blu-Ray as I enjoyed this one far more than the original Aquarion series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
only licensed for streaming? Somewhat useless now that it's over. I would have definitely picked this up if it was released on Blu-Ray as I enjoyed this one far more than the original Aquarion series.

Sloppy reading on my part - I thought this had been licensed for physical media. Well, with the exception of some noitaminA titles, Funi tends to eventually release those titles that it initially streams.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Sloppy reading on my part - I thought this had been licensed for physical media. Well, with the exception of some noitaminA titles, Funi tends to eventually release those titles that it initially streams.
Speaking of which, was there a particular reason they never released "Rainbow: NRnS" on DVD? I loved it when they streamed it on Hulu back in 2010, and it seemed like it had a pretty broad appeal compared to some of the other stuff they put on DVD. Was its viewership really low or something? I never really heard any solid reasons.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, I was really hoping FUNi would have also grabbed the home video rights, I was really looking forward to an English Dub.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Homer Simpson mode:

MWA! MWA!! MMMMMMMMMMMMWA!!!!

I love you FUNimation! You guys always do great work!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Sorrior wrote:

Actually in some ways it is seeing as the skipped the badass OVA and the movie.

I'm still slightly erked about that. I loved the OVAs and movie more so then I did the original show and I LOVED the original show because of how crazy and wacky it was. (Gen Fudo. Cosplay of the Soul. That is all.) At the same time, I liked how they decided to expand on the in-universe mythology with the OVAs.

I'm just hoping that Funi picks up the movie or the OVAs sometime because they are really good companion pieces to the original series and play some what of an impact with this one.

EVOL, on the other hand, started great but lost steam later on. READ: Any time Mikono was on screen. Hoping Evol gets an OVA like Genesis did. Really could benefit from it. Kawamori tends to do better with works when they're shorter. (IE: Macross Frontier movies, Genesis OVAs)

Great news nonethelss. Hopefully, it does get a DVD/Blu-Ray release down the line and hopefully, a dub too.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
only licensed for streaming? Somewhat useless now that it's over.

Did you stop to consider that some people don't watch pirated versions of currently airing or even recently aired shows?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Speaking of which, was there a particular reason they never released "Rainbow: NRnS" on DVD? I loved it when they streamed it on Hulu back in 2010, and it seemed like it had a pretty broad appeal compared to some of the other stuff they put on DVD. Was its viewership really low or something? I never really heard any solid reasons.

Yeah, Rainbow is one of those rare examples of a Funi stream that never did, and likely won't ever, become a Funi physical release. I would argue it isn't really a "Funi" type show. Funi is about comedies, shonen and action/adventure and Rainbow is more of a gritty drama. Funi seems to have a "brand" of show they go after, unlike Sentai, which is all over the map and eclectic as hell. I suspect strongly that Funi is in possession of numbers that indicate Rainbow would not justify the cost of a dub (i.e. from streaming and from customer surveys).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3