• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 2009 Anime Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
ok since it doesn't seem like anyone has done this yet (or at least accurately), here's a list of who repraises their roles, and who is recast, all info was gotten by ANN based on what they say

reprise

Romi Paku as Edward Elric
Rie Kugimiya as Alphonse Elric
Megumi Takamoto as Winry Rockbell
Kenji Utsumi as Alex Louis Armstrong
Keiji Fujiwara as Maes Hughes
Hidekatsu Shibata as King Bradley

recast

Shinichiro Miki as Roy Mustang
Fumiko Orikasa as Riza Hawkeye
Yuji Ueda as Jean Havoc
Kenji Hamada as Vato Falman
Kaori Nazuka as Maria Ross
Kenta Miyake as Scar
Kikuko Inoue as Lust
Tetsu Shiratori as Gluttony
Minami Takayama as Envy
Hiroyuki Yoshino as Kimblee

in short, Ed, Al, Winry, and Brad, Hughes and Armstrong reprise their roles Very Happy
everyone else is replaced Sad

oh well, lets hope the dub keeps everyone, i'm only really worried about Al being replaced though, please keep Aaron, please keep Aaron, please keep Aaron...
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
By the way, is there a proper title to this thing other than just 'Fullmetal Alchemist'?
Lames

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the manga, but a new story wouldn't kill me. I also really liked the old VAs, both sub and dub, but I wouldn't mind a fresh start. I don't really think dizzy dismuke can play al again. His voice was crackin pretty badly by the time he did the movie. I'll watch it. That's all I can really say. I just love the characters and the world they live in. I'll definitely watch and enjoy it.
Pichu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:
ok since it doesn't seem like anyone has done this yet (or at least accurately), here's a list of who repraises their roles, and who is recast, all info was gotten by ANN based on what they say

reprise

Megumi Takamoto as Winry Rockbell

oh well, lets hope the dub keeps everyone, i'm only really worried about Al being replaced though, please keep Aaron, please keep Aaron, please keep Aaron...

Winry is a recast. She was Megumi Toyoguchi before.

Also, Aaron hit puberty. He can't do Al anymore.

Am I the only one who finds Conan and Envy having the same voice? Haha...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

cnav wrote:
Miki Shinichirou is known for Takumi in Initial D.

Miki is known for far more than Initial D
Miki does a lot of yaoi/bishonen cool guys, & he does his share of cool male leads in shonen. God knows he's been around awhile & is, in fact, the 5th name as of today on this site's list of Most Prolific VA's in Japan. Off the top of my head, he's been in Wedding Peach (Limone), Gatekeepers, Area 88 (TV), Scrapped Princess, Naruto, Weiss Kruez, Tokyo Underground, Kyo Kara Maoh, Haruka, Fushigi Yugi, Super Robot Wars, Pokemon, Black Cat(Creed), Bleach(Urahara), Descendants of Darkness (Tsuzuki), Det. Loki, FMP(Kurtz), Gakuen Heaven, Level C, Generator Gawl...
I think he can handle Roy Mustang.

yeah this guy is a legend! i enjoy listening to him weekly as lockon stratos in mobile suit gundam 00 Very Happy my favorite roles he has played definately have to be ryuusei date (super robot war), tetsu (saikano), and even though somewhat brief, seiji kisaragi (paradise kiss). yeah sad but probably his most known role is that of takumi from initial d but i wasnt too thrilled. character had no personality. not a good mix for someone like miki. sad to see ryotaro okiayu wasnt recast. id like to see them in the same show Very Happy im a huge srx team fan HAHA Very Happy
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The iconic main seiyuu back are one thing, but if you don't have the rest of the iconic cast back with them, it means nothing. Gonna have to pass on this now, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
The iconic main seiyuu back are one thing, but if you don't have the rest of the iconic cast back with them, it means nothing. Gonna have to pass on this now, I guess.

sad to see people throw out the show even before its aired. i mean i can completely understand where youre coming from but isnt it supposed to be an entirely NEW show? why not redo the cast. a complete reprise would be sweet, but i dont have any complaints with who they have chosen. riza hawkeye will be voiced by fumiko orikasa. this original character isaac will be voiced by kouichi yamadera. those are pretty new. and sweet Very Happy
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
OK, now I'm even more confused as to what Bones is doing rebooting FMA. I mean, sure, some seiyuu just don't have the time to be able to step back in and replay their characters, but WTF?

If they wanted a clean start, recast everyone, imo. Then they don't have to deal with trying to balance the "fresh" and the "iconic" as much as making this adaptation even more rocking than the first one. Then again, they'd have to deal with fan rage, but at least they'd be showing how much of a different direction FMA '09 is taking by bringing in a new cast.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, please I mean sure I'm an FMA fan but I don't need to whine and complain about the cast change, though I'm a little annoyed they didn't keep Winry the same. I hope that Megumi Takamoto can pull it off I liked her in Negima.
Shirochan88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Eh, well I guess this is somewhat disappointing news for the fans of the original Japanese cast, but I'm 99% certain, as a matter of fact, I'd even throw down Benjamin's on the entire English cast coming back. As for Aaron not being able to play Al again, eh, they might change it, but it seems by now they could just manipulate his voice with a computer and plaster the younger Aaron tone on top or something.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

yeah sad but probably his most known role is that of takumi from initial d but i wasnt too thrilled. character had no personality. not a good mix for someone like miki.

My thoughts exactly. Takumi was rather dull compared to Miki's other stuff (like Gakuen Heaven had to be fun considering it was such an outrageous character).

I mean, he's Urahara. Someone think he can't play Mustang? The last Roy Mustang VA sure isn't in the top 10 most prolific--don't think I've EVER seen the guy's name anywhere close while Miki, Yamaguchi, Hayashibara & Koyasu always seem in the top 5. This suggests Miki's one of the better VA's, peoples.
Just because I've liked him forever has no influence on that opinion...
Wink

Quote:
Am I the only one who finds Conan and Envy having the same voice? Haha...

No
Because the first role I remember ever hearing her in was as Dilandau/Escaflowne.
Dilandau isn't that far off from Envy. More on the psycho side, but it works.

I thought Aaron (Dismuke?)'s been saying he has it. Wasn't that on the commentary on something lately? Ouran? Not that he should know really. It's not been cast I would think.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Kikuko Inoue played Belldandy in Oh! My Goddess! and Ah! My Goddess! TV...I can't imagine her being Lust...that's going to be so weird...I actually don't feel her voice is right for the part, and I'm a fan of hers. Oh well, willing to give it a chance!
Azumizai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Let's get some things straight here. Before I get too pissed off and start ranting at people. Look, it's a different director, he made the choices to NOT bring certain people back. Also concider the fact that some people may not have been ABLE to come back, or did not WANT to come back.

The first FMA anime was based off the manga very LOOSELY, and thus, they had their own interpretations of it.

The second is off of the manga, and if I were the director, I'd have done the same thing. Know why? Because I WOULDN'T want it to be compaired with the first! The first anime and the manga are VERY different after a certain point, and the last thing I'd want is for my version of the MANGA to get mushed in with the series.

Yes, he did bring back Ed and Al, that should be good enough for most people.

To dump an anime because of that? Moronic, really.

I mean, I'd be heartbroken if Vic say, didn't play Ed in the dubbed version, but I won't ABANDON it.

Remember, there is a LOT of decisions made when making huge thing like this. It's BASED off of the manga. It is NOT a remake. Anyone calls it a remake I shall slap them upside the head. A remake is basically... "a REMAKE of a pre-exisiting show". A TRUE remake would follow the plot of the FIRST anime, but change it here and there.

But it is not. It is a new ADAPTATION of the manga story.

Get it?

Got it?

Good.

The ammount of people who whine and complain because of these piddly little things ticks me off. Don't get offended by me, of course. If you do, go right ahead. You can have your opinions. I love it when people do. :]

Just remember, before you BASH something, understand HOW these things work first, please? It just makes me want to go in a corner and cry when I once heard that someone wanted to ditch something over the colour of someone's HAIR was changed.

-sighs-

I think we should all wait till the anime, you know, COMES OUT, before passing judgement on it. Don't you think? I think that's the best idea.

Go into it with not judgements, and try not to look back on the other anime to do so.

Okay?

You MIGHT end up likeing it. You might end up hating it.

But in all, it's a better way to go about things.

Thank you.

</rant>
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with you, Azumizai. Wink

I really like some of the new seiyuu their are using this time, but I wouldn't complain anyway.

Let's just hope that, even if they will add some original character/side-story, they'll still stick with the manga until the end, this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
@ Azumizai: Personally, I wouldn't call myself a fan of FMA - it's neat and all, but it's not the best thing ever. I was, however, a huge fan of the original Japanese cast, because I thought they worked extremely well together and fit their roles brilliantly. The only reason I was excited about the new series was because it was potentially an opportunity to hear that cast again, as those same characters, only involved in some new, more interesting stories. Now that I know the cast is different, though, what's there for me to like? If I watched the original series largely for the voice actors, why should I bother with this one when the voice actors have mostly been replaced by people I don't know or don't like?

I'm just sayin'. Seiji Mizushima, get out there and make something else fun so I can listen to your awesome obligatory cast again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13