• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop BD Box to Include Novel, Ein Picture Drama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
N.R. wrote:
Why shouldn't the dub be included?

Bandai didn't include them on Escaflowne or some of the Gundam properties like the Endless Waltz film compilation, I don't think they'll start now.

angelmcazares wrote:
I am disappointed with this releases. And another thing, is it not possible to make the aspect ratio 1:78:1? I would have considered importing this set if it had the English. Hopefully, it will be added in the end.

Why would you want a cropped version of the show? If it was produced in 1:33:1, it should never be in anything else. That's what the cels were, that's what all video releases should be. Unless you're talking about including the side bars into that aspect, which makes no difference on a 16:9 set.

I don't know much about video properties; and that is why I was wondering if Cowboy Bebop could be made/converted into 1:77:1 aspect ratio. But if it cannot be one, it's fine. And I was not talking about the side bars, I wanted to know if the image could fill the whole HDTV screen.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Simple answer: no. The cels made for the anime would have only been in 4:3, and that's how it was shot on film. There is no more data or animation to either side, meaning the image will be 1440 x 1080 pixels. Only films and a few scant OVAs used 16:9 before Betterman, which wasn't anamorphic widescreen; I believe Arjuna was the first true TV series, and then it still took about a half a decade before it caught on the rest of TV anime, OVAs too. I'd rather see the entirety of the picture produced rather than worry about it filling the TV screen.

"Filling the screen" is a dumb argument when you go the other way too: Hollywood films tend to use 2.35:1, and unless you have one of those awkward 21:9 TVs purpose made for having films able those fill the screen, you're gonna get black bars on your 16:9 set as well. What's the solution? Get a bunch of different monitors and TVs to fill every need! Does anyone own one of those 21:9 TVs? The idea seems cool, but only if you're a film nut and want a private cinema; still doesn't help when some films are in 1.85:1.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I don't know much about video properties; and that is why I was wondering if Cowboy Bebop could be made/converted into 1:77:1 aspect ratio. But if it cannot be one, it's fine. And I was not talking about the side bars, I wanted to know if the image could fill the whole HDTV screen.

Well, no. The only way you can take a piece of video and make it fit a different resolution without stretching is by cutting pieces off.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Bebop is a Sunrise and Bandai production... and Bandai Ent's Cowboy Bebob DVD release is still in print, despite the company closing up shop in the US. I'd say any opportunity for this version won't come until that license nears expiration. They can probably take their sweet time as it's a huge international "classic" with many licenses and foreign dubs.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
I'd be happy to buy a reasonably priced BD of Cowboy Bebop, as long as it contains the English dub (which is among the all-time best dubs in anime, IMO). But even if Faye delivered it to me personally, I wouldn't pay $300+ for it... not even half that.

I'm still waiting for Fate/Zero and PMMM to be released at a reasonable price point. I wonder if I'll be adding CB to that list. Oh well, I'm prepared for a long wait.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
It would be neat to have a North American release of this same package, but the Japanese price points - while nothing unusual for that market - are a show stopper. ( Never mind trying to define what a "Reasonable Price" is and how the lack of one from Aniplex America kept me away from Madoka. )

Since I just got the Bandai Ent. DVD release for our family's film library I'm not really in the market for Cowboy Bebop on BD anyway.

Mark Gosdin
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
530 bucks for the Limited Edition? I woulda thought the price would have come down a bit for a re-release of a nearly 15 year old anime.

It's just a speculation, but I think the audience for 90's anime has shrunk in Japan. Also Bandai has been selling Escaflowne BD remaster for 39,000 Yen.

If Bandai is charging so much for BD remaster, I hope it's for high quality film scanning, clean-up, and scratch removal. Giant Robo BD went through 4K film scanning, so that alone can justify the cost. However it's not certain for Bandai brands.

Japanese fans are not happy with recent BD master of Macross DYRL BD remaster because it did shoddy job on clean up and unnecessary picture enhancements. (I have feeling that they blew off remaster budget on making bundled PS3 game...)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Japanese fans are not happy with recent BD master of Macross DYRL BD remaster because it did shoddy job on clean up and unnecessary picture enhancements. (I have feeling that they blew off remaster budget on making bundled PS3 game...)

I haven't seen it yet, but if the original film negatives were grainy, then they should have been left grainy. I'd rather have a BD that looks like Venus Wars over the Galaxy Express 999 films.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
Interesting. It's interesting that they're releasing this. To my knowledge, Bebop was only massively popular in the west, though I may be wrong.

In that vein, I'd be quite surprised if they did not release a BD in the US. I'ts freaking Cowboy Bebop after all; a lot of my friends who aren't anime fans like it. Not releasing it in the US would be leaving quite a bit of money on the table.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Interesting. It's interesting that they're releasing this. To my knowledge, Bebop was only massively popular in the west, though I may be wrong.

In that vein, I'd be quite surprised if they did not release a BD in the US. I'ts freaking Cowboy Bebop after all; a lot of my friends who aren't anime fans like it. Not releasing it in the US would be leaving quite a bit of money on the table.

I think Bebop is significantly more popular among Western anime fans than Asian ones, but I think it is generally well regarded nonetheless, as a 'classic'.

I can't think of many Asian fans who'd list Cowboy Bebop as their favorite anime (even old ones who long for the 'good old days') but I see it mentioned by Western fans a lot.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
Bebop sold like 7K average a volume in Japan. Not bad, but nothing noteworthy either. Whenever Japanese sites see Americans list it they're always surprised that American otaku like it so much.

It's definitely an America thing since it has nostalgia value for people since it was their first 'adult' anime they saw due to Adult Swim.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
The same goes for Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star, which were likely both forgotten and left behind by mecha and sci-fi fans. You don't see otaku going on and on about things that were once popular here because of Adult Swim or Toonami.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You don't see otaku going on and on about things that were once popular here because of Adult Swim or Toonami.

Gundam Wing is still quite popular, among the circles that care about 15 year old mecha series not named "Evangelion"
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
reanimator wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, but if the original film negatives were grainy, then they should have been left grainy. I'd rather have a BD that looks like Venus Wars over the Galaxy Express 999 films.

I would rather they clean it up fully, complete with "enhancements" as long as they can make the result as close to the original cells as possible. Film grain is an artifact of film, not part of the actual cells nor were they designed or intended in.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

It ended like it did. The better off the series stays dead, the better. Overhyped crap.

Am I reading this correctly? Someone with a Madoka Magica avatar calling Cowboy Bebop overhyped? Cool story bro :p

Jokes aside, I for one have ordered this. English or not, I've been waiting to add this to my BD collection. I cannot want to show this masterpiece to my children one day. Direction, script, musical score, and animation, this series is a true milestone in the medium.

Now, Bandai Visual...give us a Macross Plus BD box solicitation before the year ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6