• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Director Hardwicke Hints at Anime Version

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I keep reading and hearing about how bad Twilight is and yet it makes gobs of money. No idea if it deserves it or not but wouldn't an anime version serve as a way to get more people interested in anime? Maybe even get them buying anime? How is that a bad thing? (Get them in with this then keep them with the amazing stuff we know and love. Kind of like Pokemon only with a somewhat different fanbase.)

The quoted bit from the commentary sounds more like they're joking to me though. Even if it's totally serious, I think we've all heard the "this live action will now be anime" line before and it's materialized how many times? Not many.

Regardless, why not wait and see if a Twilight anime gets made and then see if it actually works. (Maybe in the process of adapting the story for an anime, they could fix what all the people on here hate about it?)

Though if something with vampires is going to be adapted into an anime, why can't it be Kim Harrison's Hollows series, starting with Dead Witch Walking. Rachel and Ivy would make for a much better anime than the sparkly vampires. (I read somewhere the vampires in Twilight sparkle, don't know if it's true but Harrison's vampires are too badass to sparkle.)

Ooh, I like your thinking. I'm all on board for a Twilight anime, but a Hollows anime would kick ass too.

I read all kinds of vampire novels, not just Twilight. Twilight's not even my favorite...that distinction goes to Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, followed by Sherrilyn Keynon's Dark Hunters. Very Happy
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Once the Twilight Move fad passes, everyone will forget about it.
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
NO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

The movie has nothing to do with the popularity, it's the books. Now if Ms. Meyers will just sit there and never write another Twilight related book, then yes, it'll be forgotten, but if she released another it'll be Harry Potter for girls all over again. But it's very unlikely since she is sitting on a cash cow and she can just go on and on with her current writing style, writing just about anything, crap or not, and it'll be flying off the shelves.

*refuses to work til midnight for a Twilight book release party at her bookstore if another one is published*
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

The movie has nothing to do with the popularity, it's the books. Now if Ms. Meyers will just sit there and never write another Twilight related book, then yes, it'll be forgotten, but if she released another it'll be Harry Potter for girls all over again. But it's very unlikely since she is sitting on a cash cow and she can just go on and on with her current writing style, writing just about anything, crap or not, and it'll be flying off the shelves.

*refuses to work til midnight for a Twilight book release party at her bookstore if another one is published*

I agree with you. The books seem to be really popular for now. Like you said, if there isn't any more books, it will be quickly forgotten. But this is a cash revenue source, I doubt that would happen. This is just like when Harhui was first released, but we all know what happened currently though.

I compare this to Harhui because while a anime adaptation might happen, the popularity might decline if a adaptation would occur in the near future. There is no guarentee that a anime adaptation will occur.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
...she can just go on and on with her current writing style...

You mean she has a writing style?

[/cheap shot]

Seriously, though, a Twilight anime probably wouldn't be worse than any number of silly, trivial, reinforcing-unrealistic-relationship-expectations romance anime titles currently in existence. The bad news is it certainly wouldn't be any better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I think its funny that people are insisting that other titles are more "deserving"of an anime adaptation than Twilight.

It's not about deserving, it's about populartity and profitability. Japan has been adapting stories from all over the world into anime/manga/live action shows for decades. From classics like Heidi and Les Misarables to pop culture comics like Batman and Spiderman. Heck, there was even an anime version of The Diary of Anne Frank!

When they can't get the rights to something universally popular, like Harry Potter, you can find a lot of similarly-themed manga and anime released, which is my personal theory of the inspiration behind manga like Negima! (Harry Potter + Love Hina = Negima, at least initially). I once read a funny author's not in which Sorachi-Sensei (Gintama's mangaka) described how when he was stuck for ideas, he just wanted to write a Harry Potter knockoff (despite having never read the books) because he thought it would be easy. Thank goodness that his editor convinced him against it, as then we wouldn't have the wonderful alternate-history crack that is Gintama!

Moral of the story: when certain story themes are popular, we will get more versions of those themes, whether we like it or not, be they wizards, vampires, werewolves, superheroes, or spunky girls from the 19th century. Its like women's fashion in that there's always a "comeback" of a new style and a billion copycats of the major designers, and its more about money than art. But it's still fun to watch! Wink
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
@ littlegreenwolf

Bad News: The last time I checked Stephanie Meyer's website to see if getting another book would be worth it, she said that she was working on a fifth book: Midnight Sun. It's Twilight, in Edward's perspective! Ooohh....

Good News: She also said that she didn't know if she would be able to continue her book, due to personal issues and/or state of mind. If she continued writing in her state of mind, the Cullens would be dead, the Twilight universe would be completely out of line/there would be an alternate Twilight reality/it's not canon/*enter some cheap, overused, gimmicky trick*, and Edward fangirls would be outraged. I'm pretty sure they'll attack with their plastic vampire teeth and "I love Edward Cullen/Jacob Black/*insert male character here*" t-shirts on. We totally want that.

Info: It's been more than a month since I checked her website. Whether you consider that good or bad, it's your choice.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Pic very related.

Uguu... Twilight anime... my niece is a total Twilight nut and has been dabbling with a few anime series that her brother shows her. Plus she knows I'm an otaku so I'd end up being bombarded with rants about the Twilight anime.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I know the feeling. The benefits of working in a private library, you don't have to carry books you don't want. And since they're not really money makers, well...Needless to say I've had a lot of ticked off little fanbrats. xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I know the feeling. The benefits of working in a private library, you don't have to carry books you don't want. And since they're not really money makers, well...Needless to say I've had a lot of ticked off little fanbrats. xD

I can sypathsize for the both of you. The benefits of working at a store that's central theme is food is that magazines aren't bought often. Every two weeks (maybe more or less?) we restock magazines and books.

We've had our share of mad customers that the selection of Twilight wasn't bigger (usually it was the people only bought fifty cent candy bars or gum though).

For the record, when I vist Borders or any book store for that matter, I always put my books away. And if the shelf is messed up from another person, I try to organize them and help out if I can. Those boook shelfevers work hard enough, a little consideration goes a very long way.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote

Any of these Twilight fangirls know what anime is....?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Yes, they're the same people as ZOMG LOL SASOOKAY IS MY BISHIE
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Yes, they're the same people as ZOMG LOL SASOOKAY IS MY BISHIE

Boy do I have a story that relates to that. During a convention that Yuri Lenthal was a part of, a friend of mine told me this fangirl literally asked (word for word) "if Sasuke swung the other way?" Lental's reply, "Technically speaking, I am not sure."

Luckily my friend was able to ask his intelligent question though. He was irratated though, since that morron's question took time away from questions that were actually intelligent.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Yuri's last name is Lowenthal, but that's not important. A Twilight Anime might get people into the fandom, but then they might be stuck in the vampire anime genre and never get out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12