• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Director Hardwicke Hints at Anime Version

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
I'm actually very happy that True Blood got such an awesome adaption (unlike Twilight), because that makes me enjoy it even more. And I don't really know whether the source material is any better.

I wouldn't go around calling something an awesome adaption if you're unfamilar with the original material. The HBO True Blood adaption is one of those adaptions that a fan really needs to block out all knowledge of the original books in order to enjoy. For example, Sookie in the books versus the TV version of Sookie is... well, they're two totally different personalities, and the TV adaption of Sookie annoys me to no end. I think they got the wrong actress to play her completely. They created new characters for the show, altered the plot majorly, started a heavy focus on drugs, changed some of the vampire "laws", etc. The only thing I think they kept the same would be Bill's character.

That all said, head writer Alan Ball (oooo, 6 Feet Under) has done a fantastic job at making the books his own little monster. The one thing I do like about the changes with the show vs. the books are the heavy parallels the tv show has with the civil rights movement. The books weren't as focused as the tv show is with the subject.

In the end though, if you love the TV show, the original books are different enough to keep you interested if you were to pick up the books since they're far from an exact adaption. In comparison to Twilight, the Twilight movie had a more true adaption to books than the Sookie Stockhouse series can currently hope for.

*goes back to dreaming about an Anne Rice anime adaption*
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Far left is Hazuki of Moon Phase, and I'm pretty sure the one between Alucard and Edward Cullen is Arcueid (sp?) of Tsukihime.
Yes, the one between Alucard and Edward Cullen is Arcueid Brunestud from Lunar Legend Tsukihime.
It's an epic anime. Smile
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Labbes wrote:
I'm actually very happy that True Blood got such an awesome adaption (unlike Twilight), because that makes me enjoy it even more. And I don't really know whether the source material is any better.

I wouldn't go around calling something an awesome adaption if you're unfamilar with the original material. The HBO True Blood adaption is one of those adaptions that a fan really needs to block out all knowledge of the original books in order to enjoy. For example, Sookie in the books versus the TV version of Sookie is... well, they're two totally different personalities, and the TV adaption of Sookie annoys me to no end. I think they got the wrong actress to play her completely. They created new characters for the show, altered the plot majorly, started a heavy focus on drugs, changed some of the vampire "laws", etc. The only thing I think they kept the same would be Bill's character.

That all said, head writer Alan Ball (oooo, 6 Feet Under) has done a fantastic job at making the books his own little monster. The one thing I do like about the changes with the show vs. the books are the heavy parallels the tv show has with the civil rights movement. The books weren't as focused as the tv show is with the subject.

In the end though, if you love the TV show, the original books are different enough to keep you interested if you were to pick up the books since they're far from an exact adaption. In comparison to Twilight, the Twilight movie had a more true adaption to books than the Sookie Stockhouse series can currently hope for.

*goes back to dreaming about an Anne Rice anime adaption*

Ah, misunderstanding. I actually know the source material for True Blood, it's just I found it to be inferior to the show. What I meant was that if TB's source material can make an awesome show, then Twilight's source material can make one as well.
Bu:Ru

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Then you guys are NOT gonna like this...

http://www.twilight-saga.jp/chara/index.html

I know I don't Confused
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
W.T.F. Was it that popular in Japan? So now they're going to serializing in Chara. That's understandable considering how that magazine is like a fangirl's dreamworld type of magazine. Some of Kazuya Minekura's earlier works were serialized in that magazine.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
W.T.F. Was it that popular in Japan? So now they're going to serializing in Chara. That's understandable considering how that magazine is like a fangirl's dreamworld type of magazine. Some of Kazuya Minekura's earlier works were serialized in that magazine.

I didn't even know Twilight was translated into other languages, much less translated into Japanese. But if the anime adaptation is actually like that ad, it's going to be both sterotyical and full of bishojo.

But I am actually surprized they included the "old man" sterotype. Considering that almost every other male character is bishie in some way or form.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
I didn't even bother to look through the entire roster of characters. All I did was look at "Isabella" and "Edward" and was banging my head on the computer desk. However, this does make for an idea for a new Youtube video I can put up now.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I didn't even bother to look through the entire roster of characters. All I did was look at "Isabella" and "Edward" and was banging my head on the computer desk. However, this does make for an idea for a new Youtube video I can put up now.

I dunno, I like the look of manga Edward quite a bit better. But then again, I absolutely do not understand why everyone thinks that the guy who played him in the movie is so gorgeous. Manga Bella looks more like how I had imagined Bella in my head as well.
Anyway, the Twilight movie was absolutely horrendous. I mean, the book wasn't very good either, but the movie managed to take a really boring, mopey book, and turn it into an excruciatingly dull, mopey movie. We watched it with Riff Trax, and even that wasn't enough to keep me awake.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
Oh look, it's a Shiny Cullen! Break out the pokeballs!

And, of course, you knew this was coming:

- abunai
I fail, for mentioning Edward Cullen and balls in the same paragraph.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12