• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise: Keanu Reeves' Enthusiasm Clinched Cowboy Bebop Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:

The movie should focus on Spike, Jet, and Faye. There's no way they'll leave out Faye; there's gotta be SOME eye candy on the screen.

Would be nice, except that the 1st movie is supposed to be based strictly on the 1st episode (the "Red Eye" episode). At least that's what all the press releases and whatnot have suggested. Granted this is also subject to change before the cameras start rolling. So it becomes a question of how to "mash-up" the Poker Alice story (Faye's intro ep--her actual origin story could not possibly fit into "Red Eyes") into Episode 1 in order to introduce her "earlier" in the movies' story arc, if this is the route they want to go. Can't say i'm envious of those screenwriters who will have to try to do this.

One more thing...to echo a comment from one of the previous "live action Cowboy Bebop" threads, at least 90% of the soundtrack had better by composed by Yoko Kanno and performed by the Seatbelts. Not that the music will make or break this project, but leave it to Hollywood to "score" this thing (i.e. what's the flavor du jour of emo-screamo hard alt rock or hip hop these days?) and it certainly won't sound true to the spirit of Bebop. Wendee Lee went so far as to say that the music is almost like another cast member, and I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees with that.[/b]
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Anyway, good for Reeves. He seems to be using his superstar power for something productive instead of making the cover of People because he's having an affair and actually has another family.

Kudos to Keanu, and I'm hoping it turns out well
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
NightHedgehog wrote:
Quote:
He emphasized that the contract allows Sunrise to assert quality control

I'm sure that Sunrise will approve of a good script because they're such great writers.

spoiler[Gundam Seed DESTINY]

So one bad series amongst their dozens automatically makes them bad writers? Plus, Destiny came out a while ago, stuff like Code Geass and Gundam 00 is more recent.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, this movie is to be based on the "Red Eye" episode called "Asteroid Blues" which is the very first one. Ein doesn't show up until Session 2, Faye until Session 3, and Ed until Session 9, so having them included in this movie would be unnecessary.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, this movie is to be based on the "Red Eye" episode called "Asteroid Blues" which is the very first one. Ein doesn't show up until Session 2, Faye until Session 3, and Ed until Session 9, so having them included in this movie would be unnecessary.

But when they said that, they still suggested the other characters would be worked in. Don't get me wrong, I like Spike and Jet, but I don't want the movie to be just about them.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, there's no way you can get me excited for this. Live-action is bad enough as is, but Keanu is just the clincher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Just because the movie is going to be based on a particular episode does not mean that it's going to be exactly like that episode. After all, you're talking about taking an episode that's about 25 minutes - including credits - and turning it into a movie that's at least an hour and a half. They're going to have to alter it to put it on the big screen. Faye or no Faye, it's not going to be the same as the episode no matter how well it's done. That being the case, it's not exactly hard to put Faye into the episode (and Edward if they want to). And can you honestly expect them to make this movie without Faye? They might leave out Ed but not Faye.

Whatever they end up doing, it'll be intended to be in the spirit of Cowboy Bebop with all of the key characters. It just so happens that the basis for the script will be the Red Eye episode. If some characters weren't in that episode, then they'll just work them in with all the other changes necessary to make it a feature length film.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Afax wrote:
Quote:

...this does not make me feel any better about the movie. At all.

Unless Keiko Nobumoto and/or Watanabe personally approve the script, Sunrises endorsement is worthless considering the quality, or lack thereof, of their own work lately.

Watanabe is approving the script.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Ed is one of my favorite characters so I kind of wanted her in it.
I don't trust Sunrise's writing team as far as I can throw them and Code Geass R2 left a really bad taste in my mouth so I would rather hear that Shinichiro Watanabe likes it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Looking at Reeves' acting, I know immediately this is a false story, because there's no way he's capable of zeal.

But, good luck Hollywood, I won't be watching this. Reeves is almost twice the main character's age. If you can't even get that right, there's no way you'll capture the spirit of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Heck, done right and I see this film getting an oscar nomination for costume design. There was a lot of great fashion in cowboy bebop.

no way they would give an oscar to a movie based on a anime.

Well, I did say _nomination_.... not winner.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
shogun22 wrote:
Afax wrote:
Quote:

...this does not make me feel any better about the movie. At all.

Unless Keiko Nobumoto and/or Watanabe personally approve the script, Sunrises endorsement is worthless considering the quality, or lack thereof, of their own work lately.

from the previous article...
Quote:
He also emphasized that the producers began the project by meeting with Shinichiro Watanabe, the director of Sunrise's original Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime series. "He will be the first guy to read a script when it's done. We'll discuss directors with him."

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-21/producer/live-action-cowboy-bebop-will-not-be-origin-story

Haha, beat me to it. They're solving the issues before the complainers even start whining! Laughing

After Speed Racer, The Legend of Chun Li, and reviews on Dragonball: Evolution- the "complainers" have a right to be pessimistic. It's people like you who swallow hook, line and sinker everything the studios throw your way that keep them in business despite the mediocre product they continue to churn out!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
My, my, my. Everybody sure is talkative after recent events, or events that are yet to come. But anyways if the studio is involved, then there is hope. I will most consider going to this movie, as of right now.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I kind of have to laugh that the deciding factor for this live action adaptation being green-lit was Keanu's Reeves enthusiasm to potentially be playing the leading role. I'm sure there are some bitter CB fans who writing over this Wink
Despite the fact Reeves wouldn't be my first pick for Spike, I have to accept and know that it could have been worse and I'll be optimistic and believe that Reeves can do an adequate job with the role. I am however, estactic that sunrise will be quality controlling this project the simple words that "If the script is terrible, the live-action film adaptation will not be approved" were enough to put a smile on my face and get me a little excited over it. In other words at the very least we know this movie won't fail as badly as DBE, just think what wonders quality control would have done the script to that movie? Anyway, we can at least all be happy that at the very least this movie won't be made, and if that happens we'll all have the peace of mind to know that the script was probably garbage and it was all for the best.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
After Speed Racer and Dragon Ball, I really hope this doesn't turn badly. Though the fact that there is some quality control does make me think this movie won't be as horrid as Speed Racer or Dragon Ball.

I'd be more happy if this had Watanabe apporval on this though. Seriously, Dragon Ball was beyond horrid and one would have to have massive amounts of sugar to watch Speed Racer without turning it off within ten minutes.

I have a feeling Sunrise won't let this be another failure though. Especially if the script isn't bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6