• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Trigun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?In the manga ,it was explained why he is a villain. spoiler[The insects are the first inhabitants of planet,and they joined Knives cause they wanted to see whether to co-exist with humans or plants.
]

That's essentially what I said. The spoiler[insects join Knives not because they have much of a personal vendetta against anyone, like the *human* Gung-Ho Guns. They're very "Hey, why not? I don't like humans. Let's see if you're any better."] Apathy is in itself a motivation, not a lack of one.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
@JesuOtaku Oh okay,just the way you wrote the sentence made it seem like you believed that they had no motivation at all.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unlike some superhero-fan manga artists I could name, Yasuhiro Nightow doesn't just insert some Batman cameos or rip off designs from the Marvel Universe; instead, his work mixes the feel of American comics with the feel of manga in a totally original way.

I see your undercover digs at my boy Nobuhiro Watsuki, Jason. Razz While it's true that it's hard to pull up a design like Udo Jin'e or Yatsume Mumyoi and say "That's...that's just inspiration," the copying/inspiration line really is a fine one, and I really like Watsuki's design style. I think you were right in referencing McFarlane in conjunction with Nightow, though - Nightow's art feels exaggerated in a way that feels very Todd McFarlane-esque. Watsuki...he's gone through a lot of changes in his art style, and I think it's probably worse off overall now than it was during RK's run - characters look a bit too samey, designs feel too angular, and the varying line weight I loved from Watsuki in his mid-to-late RK period is much-lessened. Still, I do prefer him to Nightow (and prefer both to Kohta Hirano).

As far as the Trigun manga, I've always meant to read it, but never gotten around to it. I watched the anime back in its heyday, and while I like the world and concept, I just didn't like the way the story went very much - particularly the ending, which had me in a bout of forehead-slapping WTF-ness. Also irritating was the anime's liberal use of filler-feeling episodes well into the second half of the series. Rewatching some of the Trigun anime a few years ago, this part bothered me more now than it did back then, because that's where it really comes across that they don't have enough "plot" to really fill out the show.

Knowing the manga is such a different beast makes me want to give it a whirl, if only for a "second chance" take on a concept that had many promising elements but never came together in a way I liked (which is a lot like the way I felt about FMA: Brotherhood versus the original FMA). But the Trigun anime was a certified megahit back in the day, so I'm clearly in the minority there.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Awesome you viewed Trigun this week. It's one of my tops next to some familiars. I like both the anime and manga. The anime has some angsty elements, while the manga tends to be more dramatic. But I guess it depends on what you like. Some prefer the anime, others prefer the manga. I can't say which I prefer, I just like both cause they're different and offer different takes.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Wait...JesuOtaku!?!

spit-takes

Anyways, yes, Trigun's source material is infinitely better than its adaption for the many reasons already mentioned. As noted in the article, I do agree, it does feel like its a mix between American and Japanese comics and is most likely why I would recommend it to any comic book fan.

Now if they would only make another anime adaption. Then there's the dub cast...(the original dub was so good)...
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
Quote:
Unlike some superhero-fan manga artists I could name, Yasuhiro Nightow doesn't just insert some Batman cameos or rip off designs from the Marvel Universe; instead, his work mixes the feel of American comics with the feel of manga in a totally original way.

I see your undercover digs at my boy Nobuhiro Watsuki, Jason. Razz

I try not to be a hater in this column (well.... most of the time. -_- ) Actually, I like Rurouni Kenshin quite a bit.

Confession: the whole time I read Trigun I couldn't stop thinking "Legato looks like Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh...."
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I have been waiting for this article for a LONG time! If anyone has Trigun questions, let me know, I will answer all. Trigun is my most favorite manga of all time! I have yet to find another story in any format that makes me cry(and brings many other emotions out of me, as well) as much as Trigun does. Some people call Nightow-san's busy art and fight scenes hard-to-comprehend. I call them, worthy of a second look. For starters, anyway. Smile I recommend reading the manga more than once to really get the most out of it. I, myself have so far read it 4 times.
simside

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Trigun. It was among the first anime I watched in high school, and it was a good introduction. I love westerns with a passion, and I like the mix of goofy and dramatic to this day. I haven't re-watched it in quite a long time, though, because I'm afraid I would like the goofy stuff a lot less now that I'm older.

And I wanted the manga to be licensed so bad it hurt. I was so happy when Dark Horse picked it up, and I loved the beginning of it quite a bit. It's absolutely amazing, for all the reasons mentioned in the column, and there's nothing out there like it. I liked it a lot better than the anime, which is saying something. But man. The art is so good that the action scenes are sometimes hard to figure out, and it gets more and more complicated as the series goes on. The last few volumes broke my heart, because I just couldn't tell what was going on at all. And I really, really wanted to like this manga. Maybe I should give it a re-read, just to see if it works out better a second time through. It deserves it.

But I do agree that the Gung-Ho Guns are much cooler in the manga. And the last volume with Wolfwood is still one of my favorite scenes in any manga, even when I saw it coming.

ittoujuu wrote:
Quote:

I see your undercover digs at my boy Nobuhiro Watsuki, Jason. Razz

I immediately thought of Masakazu Katsura, which made me feel bad.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Yes, give the last few volumes detailing the final battle between brothers another read, it's like a ballet of death and hope and sacrifice. the moment when spoiler[all the people gathered get to experience Vash's memories and everything he's done just to protect them] is so beautiful and is just one of many heartbreaking and uplifting moments.

If I ever reach the financial point where I can fund a new Trigun anime that follows the manga, I'm doing it, that's a promise.
Suena

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
I watched the anime, and thought, "That was cool!"

Then I read the manga, and my jaw dislocated. It's amazing. And I'm also a sucker for dynamic art (and I mean that in the best sense of the word Razz ).
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
I love how Nightow does it, truly. Sure, I had a hard time following some of the action on my first read, but only my first. I think Nightow draws manga action scenes as if they were actually moving animation. This should be the most talked-about manga of House of 1000 Manga, I'm sad that it is not.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Must keep thread alive. Next year in March.....Trigun: Multiple Bullets, the anthology manga! The first release of the Trigun Maximum omnibus was this week. Definitely picking them up as well. Err hope I'm not turning into one of those Catcher in the Rye-style collector psychos.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2