• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsu no Arashi (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of like a different animal from School Rumble. So come into it without preconceived notions or expectations carried over from School Rumble.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Pinkwings wrote:
Hey this is from that School Rumble dude. ..I think.

Is the main character as likeable as Harima is? Harima is practically the only reason I watched School Rumble to begin with.

The male lead? No, while Harima had kind of a well-intentioned thug aspect in his favor; the protagonist of Natsu is smug, arrogant, and petty. There is a character that gives off a Harima vibe, but he doesn't play as large a role.
wii.sabi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
They had me at exploding strawberries...

sheeeeesh....I just came from Death Note to this. Talk about a readjustment. I love it though. Very Happy
kornpone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
This show is just too much fun-- wacky characters, woodblock prints mixed with 3D mixed with kamishibai, and hot, sweaty weather all smothered in a big dollop of teenage lust. If you keep watching you're bound to find something to like Wink

One note from ep2: among other hilariously incongruous things posted on the walls of the café was the following--『期間限定 ベジマイト フェア』ie "For a limited time: Vegemite Fair!"

Now the idea of a Japanese person even wanting to eat Vegemite, let alone a café running a promotion on it, is simply too gloriously weird to be believed. (Profound apologies to our good friends Down Under!)
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 really explained a lot of things. Why the boy was there, but not a lot is known of Arashi. Is she spoiler[human or ghost?] I'm liking this series a lot and the story is funny and also very well written. And at the beginning and the end there were people talking to each other, I have no idea who they were though.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

This episode was very enjoyable like the others, it was still a little confusing why spoiler[she wanted to save that man and his son but maybe it's her father and brother from when she was alive or something similar] I'm really liking this series a lot and the characters in this show go very good together.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 3

I am not clear yet why this show is so entertaining, but it definitely is. It changes moods about 6 times, goes from goofy jokes to utterly absurd behaviours (yeah, that man who spoiler[asks for the salt in two episodes in a row] I`m talking about! Smile), suspiciously smoothly tosses the viewer in and out of the anime, while making a genuine fun from well known anime cliches, and turns them unpredictable and enjoyable.

Now, spoiler[since when Arashi has a skateboard??] Smile
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the skateboard was there in episode 2 as well. Remember when she was talking about treasure and the con artist overheard? She was futzing around on the board then as well.

Are the guy asking for salt and the other one supposed to be references to something?
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Ah, thanks. How could I forget that? Sad Especially when they tied the skateboard to the bike, so she can ride it. Which reminds me that Arashi is not that bad in getting along with "new" stuff as she claims in episode 3.

It depends on the kind of references, I think. Their presence could turn in a two-way lie any time - either they would be there for the giggles or they could become part of the plot. The other guy certainly sounded serious on the phone when we learned spoiler[Arashi is a runaway]. The salt guy behaves like a runaway from a Harold Pinter's play as of now, but every character seems to be living more or less in the movie running in their heads, ... so yeah Very Happy
kornpone

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
Mike On Top wrote:
every character seems to be living more or less in the movie running in their heads

Ha ha! That's the truth.

Interestingly this seems to be getting more serious with time: we started out literally with a bang (the strawberries and time travel) and now we're gradually getting into the war-time story of Arashi and Kaja.

So is it going to dip into something grim, tragic (considering two of the main girl leads died at some point during the war), or --gulp!-- mildly flag-waving?

I wonder especially about that last point, since popular Japanese depictions of common folk during War War II often carry a rather strongly patriotic message --with Grave of the Fireflies being a notable exception.

While I don't believe we'll be seeing an Italian girl join the group anytime soon (go Axis!?) there's plenty of room for sentimentalities about the good ol' German-Japanese days.

--But there's also plenty of room for plain old slapstick, general wackiness, and big scoopfuls of hanky panky, which have made this show so much fun up to this point. . . Wink
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Kind of reminds me of an anime version of Chucky from Rugrats (All Growed Up?). Face is similar shape and those same square-frame glasses. Give him red hair and you couldn't tell the difference. Personality is way different though.

I don't think we'll get too much wartime nostalgia here. The story is told from the POV of the boy, who wasn't around back then. It certainly seems like the girls have some unfinished business related to the war though.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
^ I was about to reply earlier that the lesbian theatre in episode 2 sheds some light about their unfinished business in wartime, but meanwhile I managed to watch episode 5, ... soooo, the show is going nowhere more serious than it already has been previously shown - on the contrary, episode 5 is an epitome of going in the opposite direction, full throttle, in every possible level of anything gender bending in sight (at least to my knowledge) :]

I don't know, perhaps of Jin Kobayashi and School Rumble, Hajime always looked like a younger version of Hanai to me.
spoiler[Probably somebody has mentioned this, but again - you can see Tenma and Harima on something implying a successfull date in "The Ark".]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I think I'm only watching the show for the random cameos. I caught Hidamari Sketch and Maria Holic (the dorm mother and the priest) in episode 9, and the SZS reference before she got to the catchphrase. One of the girls at the table looked a little like Ritsu from K-on, but the other three didn't seem to be Mugi, Mio, and Yui, so I'm not sure. Also, I noticed Mochi (Negima!?) in one of the quick flashes of the blurry pictures.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
At the end of episode 5 when there are two people talking to each other the younger girl is talking about a book as usual and she says something very disturbing.... If there even a reason for that? Beside that I'm so happy I'm getting up to date with all the fansubs.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
At the end of episode 5 when there are two people talking to each other the younger girl is talking about a book as usual and she says something very disturbing.... If there even a reason for that? Beside that I'm so happy I'm getting up to date with all the fansubs.

Some of us don't have perfect memory. Could you elaborate on what you mean?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3